Author Topic: How often does Harry's withholding of information actually get people hurt...  (Read 37632 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
American law wasn't written with dark magic in mind. Murder as a crime exists because we define it as such, the killings in question don't fit in any legal system that doesn't include magic.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
American law wasn't written with dark magic in mind. Murder as a crime exists because we define it as such, the killings in question don't fit in any legal system that doesn't include magic.
Mortal law claims jurisdiction over everything except "acts of God."   No other supernatural agency is exempted.

It's wrong, of course, for purposes of the Dresdenverse.  But it still claims jurisdiction, assesses guilt & innocence.

For example, Murphy holding mortal Justice as relevant, and forcing Tiny to back down.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Reductio ad absurdum.  White vampire kills boy/girl in court, and claims death by orgasm.  Authorities can't prove different.  Vampire shoots bird at judge and goes on vacation somewhere warm. You can claim jurisdiction but you have to prove the crime.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
a. Murder is the [1.] unlawful killing of ... 

... This is where I thought the argument would be for Cassius's death, and Slate's if I had remembered that one. Harry is a Warden of the White Council at this point. He has lawful authority to execute this guy, and probably a duty to, according to the White Council. I'm sure the prosecutor's office in Chicago would disagree. Vehemently. This is the reason I said it is arguable that Harry is a murderer...
... If you agree that Harry is subject to the law of Illinois and that the paragraph I quoted happened, then Harry is a murderer...
I think the question that determines if Harry is a murderer is whether or not he is subject to mortal law when acting on behalf of a supernatural nation.

I think you have captured the essence of the matter.

Which laws apply?

Given the mortal laws ignorance, I'd argue that they do NOT apply.  How can the law apply to matters it does not acknowledge and therefore explicitly does not address?

Does the law mandate how cold Mab's ice may become?  Does it hold Kringle responsible for Equal Opportunity Gift-giving?  Does it impose any controls upon Denarians?  Or upon wizards?

Yes, mortal law does claim jurisdiction; and by strict (and thus ignorant) interpretation of said law... Harry has committed murder.

But I would argue that in this situation, mortal law is so ignorant as to be irrelevant.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Reductio ad absurdum.  White vampire kills boy/girl in court, and claims death by orgasm.  Authorities can't prove different.  Vampire shoots bird at judge and goes on vacation somewhere warm. You can claim jurisdiction but you have to prove the crime.
Oh, I'm sure the murder couldn't be proven by mortals!  Even if somebody matched the wounds on Cassius to a casting of Mouse's jaws, Harry's extensive wounding from being tortured would have a jury saying "Good doggy!" and "Not Guilty" (probably in that order).

That doesn't alter the facts of the matter -- unknowable to mortal law -- which do fit the mortal law's definition of murder.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I think you have captured the essence of the matter.

Which laws apply?

Given the mortal laws ignorance, I'd argue that they do NOT apply.  How can the law apply to matters it does not acknowledge and therefore explicitly does not address?

Does the law mandate how cold Mab's ice may become?  Does it hold Kringle responsible for Equal Opportunity Gift-giving?  Does it impose any controls upon Denarians?  Or upon wizards?

Yes, mortal law does claim jurisdiction; and by strict (and thus ignorant) interpretation of said law... Harry has committed murder.

But I would argue that in this situation, mortal law is so ignorant as to be irrelevant.

The failing of mortal law isn't that it doesn't foresee a Cassius like situation. That sort of thing happens all the time, and that's why I'm certain Harry's actions do not constitute the legal concept of self defense and do constitute murder. The problem is that Harry, having defeated his opponent, can't hand him off to the authorities because the authorities can't handle a warlock. Not that the Council could, either. That's why the Council has the death penalty for every breach of the Seven Laws.

While thinking of an alternative definition of murder, other than a legal one, I looked to some religious texts and could come up with an argument that Harry didn't commit murder, but instead he fulfilled a duty to protect others when he killed Cassius. I'm not going into detail because it's a "Forbidden Discussion Item."

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The problem is magic.  You either have undetectable crimes or crimes with incomprehensible motives.  And however you define murder, a jury decides if murder actually occurs. The definition is not the fact.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
The failing of mortal law isn't that it doesn't foresee a Cassius like situation. That sort of thing happens all the time, and that's why I'm certain Harry's actions do not constitute the legal concept of self defense and do constitute murder. The problem is that Harry, having defeated his opponent, can't hand him off to the authorities because the authorities can't handle a warlock. Not that the Council could, either. That's why the Council has the death penalty for every breach of the Seven Laws.

While thinking of an alternative definition of murder, other than a legal one, I looked to some religious texts and could come up with an argument that Harry didn't commit murder, but instead he fulfilled a duty to protect others when he killed Cassius. I'm not going into detail because it's a "Forbidden Discussion Item."

Defense,  Harry feared for his life.... Evidence, multiple knife wounds on his body, torture, finger prints belonging to Cassius are on the knife, bonds that were used to tie Harry down...  We have a 200 pound sloppily grinning dog who broke the neck of the guy trying to kill his master.. But except for his size, Mouse would appear pretty harmless, and he has  the intelligence to appear harmless. To vanilla mortals, Foo dogs are stone statues that guard Chinese restaurants, not deadly divine guardians.  Harry, his mind clouded by pain, blood loss, and torture, gave the final command to his dog, but who is to say he still didn't still fear for his life?  It can be argued that he wasn't exactly rational at that moment.   Men have been acquitted of murder in real life on less compelling evidence ....   One case in particular comes to mind, but I don't want to step over the line..  You have the law, and then you have evidence, you also have circumstance....  That is why we have trials...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:58:58 PM by Mira »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
We have trials and juries because we don't know the facts and because police aren't competent to apply the facts to the law. The jury determines the facts. A judge applies those facts to the law. We have the facts. The law is clear until we consider the status of supernatural nations.

who is to say he still didn't still fear for his life?

Harry?

[1.] The problem is magic.  You either have undetectable crimes or crimes with incomprehensible motives.  [2.] And however you define murder, a jury decides if murder actually occurs. [3.] The definition is not the fact.

1. The problem is obtaining a conviction. It's exactly like saying Victor Sells didn't murder anyone in Storm Front because a jury would never convict. 2. No, juries answer a series of factual questions. The judge uses those factual findings and applies the law to them. 3. The definition is the law.

Here is what the jury instructions would look like (using Texas law, wherein the chief difference would probably be that Illinois doesn't have a separate sentencing portion of the trial; also note that I was wrong that Dresden would have to prove self defense; however, to claim self defense, he would have to admit to intentionally or knowingly killing Cassius):
INSTRUCTIONS OF THE COURT

Accusation

The state accuses the defendant of having committed the offense of murder. Specifically, the accusation is that the defendant intentionally or knowingly caused the death of Quintus Cassius by commanding the defendant’s dog to break the neck of Quintus Cassius.

Relevant Statutes

A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual.

To prove that the defendant is guilty of murder, the state must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, two elements. The elements are that—

1.   the defendant caused the death of an individual; and

2.   the defendant did this intentionally or knowingly.

A person causes the death of another if, but for the person’s conduct, the death of the other would not have occurred.

Burden of Proof

The state must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, the accusation of murder.

Definitions

Intentionally Causing the Death of an Individual

A person intentionally causes the death of an individual if the person has the conscious objective or desire to cause that death.

Knowingly Causing the Death of an Individual

A person knowingly causes the death of an individual if the person is aware that his conduct is reasonably certain to cause that death.

Application of Law to Facts

You must determine whether the state has proved, beyond a reasonable doubt, two elements. The elements are that—

1.   the defendant, in Cook County, Illinois, on or about October 31, 20XX, caused the death of Quintus Cassius by commanding the defendant’s dog to break the neck of Quintus Cassius; and

2.   the defendant did this either intentionally or knowingly.

You must all agree on elements 1 and 2 listed above.

If you all agree the state has failed to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, one or both of elements 1 and 2 listed above, you must find the defendant “not guilty.”

If you all agree the state has proved, beyond a reasonable doubt, each of the two elements listed above, you must next consider whether the defendant’s use of force was made in self-defense.
Self-Defense
You have heard evidence that, when the defendant intentionally or knowingly caused the death of Quintus Cassius by commanding the defendant’s dog to break the neck of Quintus Cassius, he believed his use of force was necessary to defend himself against Quintus Cassius’s use of unlawful deadly force.
Relevant Statutes
A person’s use of deadly force against another that would otherwise constitute the crime of murder is not a criminal offense if the person reasonably believed the force used was immediately necessary to protect the person against the other’s use of unlawful deadly force.

Self-defense does not cover conduct in response to verbal provocation alone. The defendant must have reasonably believed the other person had done more than verbally provoke the defendant.
Burden of Proof
The defendant is not required to prove self-defense. Rather, the state must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that self-defense does not apply to the defendant’s conduct.
Definitions
Reasonable Belief
“Reasonable belief” means a belief that an ordinary and prudent person would have held in the same circumstances as the defendant.
Deadly Force
“Deadly force” means force that is intended or known by the person using it to cause death or serious bodily injury or force that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.
Application of Law to Facts
If you have found that the state has proved the offense beyond a reasonable doubt, you must next decide whether the state has proved that the defendant’s conduct was not justified by self-defense.

To decide the issue of self-defense, you must determine whether the state has proved, beyond a reasonable doubt, one of the following two elements. The elements are that—

1.    the defendant did not believe his conduct was immediately necessary to protect himself against Quintus Cassius’s use of unlawful deadly force; or

2.    the defendant’s belief was not reasonable.

You must all agree that the state has proved, beyond a reasonable doubt, either element 1 or 2 listed above. You need not agree on which of these elements the state has proved.

If you find that the state has failed to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, either element 1 or 2 listed above, you must find the defendant “not guilty.”

If you all agree the state has proved, beyond a reasonable doubt, each of the elements of the offense of murder, and you all agree the state has proved, beyond a reasonable doubt, either element 1 or 2 listed above, you must find the defendant “guilty.”

Now these are the standard Texas Criminal Pattern Jury Charges. Jury charges are often modified in such a manner as "Did X happen?" Things are added and removed. If I was a prosecutor, I'd try to get a definition of immediate in there.

My position isn't that a prosecutor would have a strong case. It isn't that Harry couldn't convince them that things happened differently than they did. Though it's only in Proven Guilty that Harry notes that he has learned to lie, so it's questionable whether or not he could prove self defense. Honestly, it doesn't really matter if he had acted in self defense because he thinks he murdered Cassius. This alone would make proving his case hard. Unless the cops did something like record his statements presenting his case for self defense, Harry would likely have to testify to get self defense evidence in front of a jury. I'd have to question Butters vigorously to determine if he could do it.

1. Harry caused the death of Cassius.
2. He did so intentionally.
3. Unless Harry admitted this, it would be hard to prove.
4. Harry reasonably believed
5. that his actions were necessary to protect himself against Quintus Cassius’s use of unlawful deadly force,
6. immediately.

I agree with points 1. through 3. and I disagree with points 4. through 6.

"If I see you again-ever-I'll kill you." Death Masks - Ch. 28. That's why Harry killed Cassius. He won. The fight was over. Cassius would have crawled away like he had in the past. Would he have returned before dying of old age? If he could. Harry knew all of this.

If I was in Harry's shoes, would I have done the same thing? Probably, but that doesn't make it not murder. Was it the right thing to do? Again, probably, but that doesn't make it not murder.

(And back to Proven Guilty, under Illinois law, I'm pretty sure Harry would be guilty as an accomplice in murdering that warlock kid, but I do not have experience in Illinois accomplice liability laws).

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
... because it's a "Forbidden Discussion Item." 

Linky?
I don't think I've seen any explicit list of such, and my casual poking-around didn't find it here...  :-P

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
(And back to Proven Guilty, under Illinois law, I'm pretty sure Harry would be guilty as an accomplice in murdering that warlock kid, but I do not have experience in Illinois accomplice liability laws).

Or would that have been considered an execution lawfully carried out by another government, under the authority of it's governing body? 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I tried to just quote in my previous post, but there isn't a quote button there. https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,23096.0.html. I don't think anyone would be upset by it, but them's the rules.

Or would that have been considered an execution lawfully carried out by another government, under the authority of it's governing body? 

Considered by who? The White Council? Yes. Even Harry. Murphy, not so much. She said she'd go after them if a body showed up after Harry talked her down. I think this would be somewhere close to the median response of people in the law enforcement/legal community with her level of knowledge. The Feds and the States are not likely to look favorably on foreign nations executing people within their respective territories. Though it wouldn't be unthinkable for them to happily look the other way as long as the Council kept it quiet. The courts would not be happy with it. It's probably a violation of just about all the due process rights associated with the criminal justice process. (There is the whole government action component to due process, so it depends on how much the government is complicit in the process).

Also, this is what I think is the most interesting and probably best argument for why killing Cassius wasn't murder. Harry executed the guy. That's why it wasn't self defense. But was it a just and lawful execution/wartime action?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The problem is obtaining a conviction. It's exactly like saying Victor Sells didn't murder anyone in Storm Front because a jury would never convict.
If you can't put the case in front of a jury or if the jury refuses to convict, then to all intents and purposes he isn't guilty. Murder is a crime, what a jury decides is who committed the crime.  And your speaking from God mode. They don't sit in  a privileged position.
Linky?
I don't think I've seen any explicit list of such, and my casual poking-around didn't find it here...  :-P

Do not discuss:

- Real world religion (Grey area: real world religion in the Dresden Files might be OK, but anything that comes off as using that to slam members of particular faiths in the real world by proxy is a step over the line)

- Real world politics (this is not confined to political parties, their hi jinxes, and the like, but also beliefs that cause political hot topics, such as a stance on abortion, death penalty, taxes, LGBT rights either pro or con, gun politics, etc.)

- This includes having anything like the above in your sig, or by your Avatar, or in your Avatar.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Are you saying Victor Sells isn't a murderer because a jury wouldn't believe he used magic to make people's hearts explode? And since Harry didn't kill any of the "victims" we're talking about with magic, how is magic a problem? Note that motivation isn't necessary to prove any crime. It could be considered necessary to show a defense.

Let's say a prosecutor gets Michael, Sanya, Butters, and Murphy to tell the truth about what they know.

Murphy could put them on the trail to the likeliest suspect. I don't recall whether or not Harry confessed to her.

Butters can testify to the fact that "Mouse landed on his back, and the huge dog's jaws closed on the man's neck. Cassius froze in place (in sudden terror, his eyes very wide. He stared at [Harry]). For a second there was total silence. 'I gave you a chance,' [Harry] told him, [his] voice quiet. (Quintus Cassius's liver-spotted face went pale with horrified comprehension). 'Wait[,' Cassius said]. 'Mouse,' Harry said. "Kill him." Parenthesis for parts that Butters may not have been able to see, and brackets for alterations to the original quote from the book.

Michael and Sanya can testify that Harry savagely beat the man a few years ago and stated that he would kill him if he ever saw him again. Michael can further testify that Harry said he "murdered" Cassius.

Then there is probably a bunch of physical evidence, too. Honestly, between Harry's blood at the museum and at his murder scene, if the police have properly processed it all, it would only be a matter of time before he was questioned about Cassius's death.

I wouldn't say that a lack of a conviction means a crime didn't happen. If Harry's actions and mental state constitute a crime, he committed a crime. Most murders in Chicago go unsolved. Chicago's murder clearance rate, the number of murders in which someone is charged, not convicted, is 15.4%. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/21/chicago-police-homicide-clearance-rate-killing-murder-shooting/1368099002/. While I can't say the perpetrators in the 84.6% of cases are all murderers with certainty, I think it is definitely reasonable to say that most of them are murderers, even if they never get charged or convicted.

Let's say someone is charged and acquitted of murder, and you call them a murderer. They sue you for defamation. You can go into court and prove they are in fact a murderer. Then they lose the defamation case because the truth is a defense.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Harry bears a moral responsibility for killing Cassius.  Harry makes an extrajudicial decision that Cassius is too dangerous to live.  He isn't even a warden at that point.  He's a vigilante.  And Harry's ethical position is established in canon.  Jim has established the mortal authorities lack of ability to contain supernatural threats.  In Fool Moon, and Changes, to name two.    So you can classify the act as murder, but you have to ignore canon.

Victor Sells could never be convicted of murder because you can't connect him to the act. He wasn't there  and to the mortal authorities magic doesn't exist.

Just to be sure, everybody does know that dogs can't be given a kill command?  Right?  Only Foo dogs of exceptional intelligence need apply.