Author Topic: How often does Harry's withholding of information actually get people hurt...  (Read 37723 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I wouldn't argue that Harry hasn't hurt people. Harry is arguably a murderer. He has killed a lot of people and not people. My argument is very specific. Harry withholding information hasn't hurt anyone (in the short term because we can't predict long term effects) with the exception of not telling Murphy about the White Council and the Doom in Storm Front.

What he did in Changes doesn't really matter to that point.

I don't see the point of citing page numbers. There are so many different versions of the books it's basically pointless. I use fbreader, in which the page numbers are determined by the font the user selects.
They asked for page numbers and chapters, I supplied them. 

There will never be a point, where you can definitively  say Harry withholding X led to Y.  If that is your argument, it's unimpeachable.  You can impeach the reason that he uses for withholding information, by looking at outcomes against the times he's used it.  He trying to protect Kim.  She dies.  He's trying to protect Susan, he ends up cutting her throat.  He tries to protect the Alphas,  Kirby gets killed Andi almost so. As a strategy it appears to not work very well.
Quote from: kbrizzle
To be honest, I believe that Harry is correct in keeping info from people on the lower rungs of power in the DV.
There an old saying, you can't be a little bit pregnant.  Either tell everything you know or tell nothing at all.  Harry straddles the fence, and that just makes you sore.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
To be honest, I believe that Harry is correct in keeping info from people on the lower rungs of power in the DV. It is not his fault that they (Susan, Kim etc) are independent & proud - they certainly deserve most of the blame for explicitly doing things Harry tells them not to - & they pay for it. They do this because being a go-getter in the mortal world has worked out for them, but the supernatural world plays by different rules where one’s power level generally unlocks appropriately dangerous knowledge. Kim & Susan don’t understand this - Murphy is more situationally aware from her police work & I don’t recall Molly getting hurt from Harry withholding info (he hurts her unintentionally). Blaming Harry for this removes his agency, not theirs.

Most of the arguments I’ve read in this thread seem to focus on Harry not going out of his way to explain the rules & dangers of the supernatural world appropriately to the noob ladies in his life, but I disagree - no one is forcing Kim to build a circle that Harry would have trouble with or Susan to come to Bianca’s shindig where Harry is unsure he’ll make it out alive -they made these decisions with his express disapproval. Additionally I don’t think for a second that if Harry turned them down, they wouldn’t have looked elsewhere (more dangerous places) for that info which might’ve worked out even worse for them. I don’t understand the commenters who think that without Harry, Kim & Susan wouldn’t have figured out a way to dabble in the supernatural world. They are smart, dogged & connected enough to make this happen regardless of Harry - he just made it easier since he’s a good person.

It’s kinda like abortion or teen sex - whether you agree or disagree about the morality of the acts, it’s not going to dissuade the determined from going through with it even if they’re aware of the dangers.

I agree with most of this...

I wouldn't argue that Harry hasn't hurt people. Harry is arguably a murderer. He has killed a lot of people and not people. My argument is very specific. Harry withholding information hasn't hurt anyone (in the short term because we can't predict long term effects) with the exception of not telling Murphy about the White Council and the Doom in Storm Front.
Harry has killed people, but that doesn't make him a murderer,  no more than a soldier under most circumstances is a murder in war.  Harry doesn't deliberately kill innocents.

There will never be a point, where you can definitively  say Harry withholding X led to Y.  If that is your argument, it's unimpeachable.  You can impeach the reason that he uses for withholding information, by looking at outcomes against the times he's used it.  He trying to protect Kim.  She dies.  He's trying to protect Susan, he ends up cutting her throat.  He tries to protect the Alphas,  Kirby gets killed Andi almost so. As a strategy it appears to not work very well.

It would have made no difference as others have pointed out to tell Kim everything about that circle or not... She was determined to make it in spite of Harry telling her she didn't have the experience and training to do so... He might have known she was lying, but he couldn't force her to tell the truth either if she was determined to be the one to create the circle..  As pointed out with Susan, she wanted that damn scoop, she stole the invitation, she then forged it, how do you protect against that?  She sowed the seeds of her own fate, not Harry.  As to Kirby's death, Harry didn't try to protect the Alphas when that happened, he told them what he knew, which wasn't much save it was  bad and powerful...  It was Will who made the decision to send his team in even though they didn't have a whole lot of information as to what they were up against, and as he told Harry, they'd do it again..
There an old saying, you can't be a little bit pregnant.  Either tell everything you know or tell nothing at all.  Harry straddles the fence, and that just makes you sore.

And then there are secrets that must be kept, they are not Harry's secrets, but still as a member of the White Council he must keep them....

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
[1.] They asked for page numbers and chapters, I supplied them. 

[2.] There will never be a point, where you can definitively  say Harry withholding X led to Y.  If that is your argument, it's unimpeachable. [3]. You can impeach the reason that he uses for withholding information, by looking at outcomes against the times he's used it.  He trying to protect Kim.  She dies.  He's trying to protect Susan, he ends up cutting her throat.  He tries to protect the Alphas,  Kirby gets killed Andi almost so. As a strategy it appears to not work very well. [4.] There an old saying, you can't be a little bit pregnant.  Either tell everything you know or tell nothing at all.  Harry straddles the fence, and that just makes you sore.

1. That was more of a response to the conversation about page numbers than to you answering the question. Also an explanation of why I'm never giving anyone page numbers.
2. My argument, especially with Kirby, which I've explicitly stated before, is I don't see how him withholding information led to harm.
3. Harry specifically said it worked "until now" about Kirby, and it seems to be working with the Asian lady who replaced Susan at the Arcane. But if I'm being honest, I don't think it's a good general strategy for those "in the know" already.
4. I completely disagree with the whole "either or" view of sharing information. Harry hiding Bob from Molly when there's the chance she's going to go warlock is probably a good idea. Not telling the White Council about Elaine is probably a good idea. Not telling the White Council about Bob is probably a good idea. The majority of members of the Senior Council decided it was either a good idea to not tell Harry about Demonreach or that it wouldn't matter if they did. Eb only informs him that there is something they aren't telling him. Rashid agrees that there are some things the Council doesn't need to know.

[a.] Harry has killed people, but that doesn't make him a murderer,  no more than a soldier under most circumstances is a murder in war.  [b.] Harry doesn't deliberately kill innocents. 

Well, I said arguably because it is arguable. And since it seems you want to argue the point, I'll make the case.

a. Murder is the [1.] unlawful killing of [2.] another [3.] human being [4.] with malice aforethought, expressed or implied. 1. Harry killed Cassius. 2. Cassius is not Harry. 3. Cassius is a human being. 4. Harry meant the action that killed Cassius. I'm aware this isn't a full explication of my case, but figured it was best to leave it simple and see which points you don't agree with instead of typing up a couple of weeks of law school classes for no reason.

b. The innocence or guilt of the person killed is irrelevant.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
1. That was more of a response to the conversation about page numbers than to you answering the question. Also an explanation of why I'm never giving anyone page numbers.
Mea Culpa. My apologies for being harsh. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I only took it as confusion as to who I was addressing as I was unclear.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
a. Murder is the [1.] unlawful killing of [2.] another [3.] human being [4.] with malice aforethought, expressed or implied. 1. Harry killed Cassius. 2. Cassius is not Harry. 3. Cassius is a human being. 4. Harry meant the action that killed Cassius. I'm aware this isn't a full explication of my case, but figured it was best to leave it simple and see which points you don't agree with instead of typing up a couple of weeks of law school classes for no reason.

b. The innocence or guilt of the person killed is irrelevant.

I disagree, so would a jury in many cases... 

A technically maybe, but Mouse killed Cassius, not Harry... On Harry's orders perhaps, but Harry was on his back,bleeding, about to pass out, Cassius was in the process of killing him rather painfully and slowly, would have too, when Butters and Mouse came in to save the day. And it was Butters who sicced Mouse on Cassius.. You might call that murder, but it sounds more like self defense or at the very least justified homicide..Nor was it premeditated.   Don't know about law school but if I was sitting on a jury, that is how I'd see it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:22:24 PM by Mira »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I disagree, so would a jury in many cases... 

A technically maybe, but Mouse killed Cassius, not Harry... On Harry's orders perhaps, but Harry was on his back,bleeding, about to pass out, Cassius was in the process of killing him rather painfully and slowly, would have too, when Butters and Mouse came in to save the day. And it was Butters who sicced Mouse on Cassius.. You might call that murder, but it sounds more like self defense or at the very least justified homicide..Nor was it premeditated.   Don't know about law school but if I was sitting on a jury, that is how I'd see it.

If we were to give Mouse personhood, Harry and Mouse would be an accomplices, co-conspirators, or some other theory of joint liability, otherwise Mouse is a tool of Harry, so that doesn't matter either way.

Cassius was not in the process of doing anything. He had been defeated. Mouse had him under control.

Harry told Mouse to kill him, and Mouse did, not Butters.

For self defense to be applicable, Harry would have to have an imminent reasonable apprehension that Cassius was capable of causing him grievous bodily harm or death. Since we can read Harry's thoughts, we know that not to be the case. Whether or not he could convince a jury of lies isn't really relevant as to whether or not he did it.

Justified homicide isn't a thing. It's not really even a legal term. For example, a killing committed in self-defense is a form of justified homicide. Another interesting one is capital punishment. This is where I thought the argument would be for Cassius's death, and Slate's if I had remembered that one. Harry is a Warden of the White Council at this point. He has lawful authority to execute this guy, and probably a duty to, according to the White Council. I'm sure the prosecutor's office in Chicago would disagree. Vehemently. This is the reason I said it is arguable that Harry is a murderer.

Cassius froze in place in sudden terror, his eyes very wide. He stared at me.
For a second there was total silence.
"I gave you a chance," I told him, my voice quiet.
Quintus Cassius's liver-spotted face went pale with horrified comprehension. "Wait."
"Mouse," I said. "Kill him."

That is premeditation to the point that Cassius realized Harry intended to kill him. Malice aforethought, express or implied, is requisite mental state, not premeditation. I go into the different ways to show malice aforethought here: https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,53124.msg2319667.html#msg2319667.

Not only does the above show malice aforethought, it also shows that Harry was not in fear of imminent bodily harm from Cassius.

I'm pretty sure breaking into the Field Museum is a felony, so he would have committed felony murder as well. (Illinois has amended the common law definition of murder with statutes that rule out felony murder for Harry in this case. Illinois only recognizes felony murder when the felony is a "forcible felony." Breaking into the Field Museum is not a forcible felony. Harry would still be guilty of first degree murder under Illinois law anyway).

You would be a "bad" juror because you would have to ignore the law and jury instructions to reach a not guilty verdict. (Or you would be a "good" juror because you exercised "jury nullification." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification). In my experience, juries follow their jury instructions (simple statements of the law applied to the facts of the case). If you agree that Harry is subject to the law of Illinois and that the paragraph I quoted happened, then Harry is a murderer. Same with Slate. Maybe even if he was in Faerie at the time. It depends on whether or not a supernatural nation counts as a nation under federal law.

I think the question that determines if Harry is a murderer is whether or not he is subject to mortal law when acting on behalf of a supernatural nation.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Extrajudicial killing might be more descriptive.  Harry is essentially taking the law into his own hands.  Which, since Jim wants him to be a hero, means he will never screw up and kill an innocent.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:18:41 PM by morriswalters »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Extrajudicial killing basically means murder by the government (at least to me). I wouldn't apply it to any lawful killing. I'm also pretty sure the law in your link wouldn't apply to Harry in Chicago. Before it could, I'm pretty sure the White Council would have to be recognized as a foreign nation, and I'm not sure the law would apply even then.

Innocent or guilty doesn't matter to a legal analysis of whether or not Harry is a murderer. Most people murdered are not "innocent" under most conceptions of the term. Sometimes people use it to mean "not deserving of death." I find that a useless concept in acts of violence committed "on the street" or "in the field" because "deserve" usually has nothing to do with it.

And if one wants to argue that Harry isn't morally a murderer, I'd need an explanation of what that even means.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Crappy link.  It should have pointed to the definition at the top of the article. Corrected.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I looked at the first and second sentences. When it said citation needed, I thought boy howdy, only with profanity.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Cassius was not in the process of doing anything. He had been defeated. Mouse had him under control.

Harry wasn't in the best of shape, I believe he passed out moments later.. One could argue his state of mind wasn't the best... And absolutely, Mouse and Butters should both be convicted as well.. So if Butters and Mouse hadn't come on the scene, you would of called Cassius actions self defense?  It was premeditated on Harry's part?
Um, it was was Cassius with the help of Grevane who ambushed and got Harry down in the first place so Cassius could slowly take him apart in hopes of gaining a coin, thinking he had the coin of Lasciel on him, his intent was to kill Harry slowly if he didn't get one...  So perhaps that makes me a bad juror, not convicting Harry according to you is how the law reads.  But on this evidence?  Convicting would be bad justice...

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Cassius was no longer trying to kill Harry because he couldn't. Harry then decided to kill Cassius. Then Harry killed Cassius. Whether or not that's premeditation doesn't really matter. It is intent to cause death or grievous bodily harm. Harry meant for Cassius to die. That meets the "malice aforethought" standard.

He passed out after being hit by a death curse. If he hadn't killed Cassius, he wouldn't have been hit by the death curse. Harry's state of mind probably wasn't the best, but that's not a justification; it's a mitigation. Under Illinois law, it might be enough to bump it down to second degree murder, but I don't think so. Butters should not be convicted because he acted in defense of others because Harry was in danger of grievous bodily harm or death when Butters acted. When Harry acted, he wasn't in danger of imminent grievous bodily injury or death.

Premeditated murder isn't always punished severely. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Plauche. My point isn't that Harry is a bad person or even wrong for killing Cassius. My point is that Harry has harmed people to the extent that he committed murder under mortal law.

Offline kbrizzle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I find it hard to believe that any jury would convict someone of even 2nd degree murder in the Cassius situation...

Let’s go through the events here - the ‘victim’ (Cassius) had just spent the last few minutes cutting the ‘murderer’s’ chest open & was just about to kill him when he was interrupted by a 3rd party (Butters). The victim then breaks the 3rd party’s nose & tries to kill him with the same knife. The murderer’s dog is able to intervene & kill the ‘victim’ while protecting its master.

There is no way to prove that Cassius wouldn’t have been able to get back to up & finish what he’d started - perhaps he would’ve been able to get the drop on Mouse (unlikely) or perhaps he would re-attempt this at a later date, given that’s exactly what Cassius was doing here (after the events of DM).

We only know that Harry gave the order to Mouse to kill Cassius because he expressly tells us so, why would he do this in a hypothetical court of law where he is being ‘accused’ of murder? Before Mouse managed to get his mouth around Cassius’ throat, Cassius was winning the fights against both Harry & Butters... Cassius was in better shape than either of them at that point & was planning on killing both if not for Mouse, who as a dog would be legally & morally venerated for protecting its owner, even if such an attack was fatal to the ‘victim’...

All of Harry’s ‘murders’ would probably count as justifiable homicides (especially if he could get a Sidhe lawyer) - including that of Corpsetaker in DB. Like Harry tells Sarissa in CD, the only 2 people he’s killed in cold blood were Susan & Lloyd Slate. Given that Susan’s body likely vanished after the Ramps were exterminated as a species, I doubt any mortal authority would be able to prove anything there (no body, almost impossible to prove the crime) & Lloyd Slate was murdered in the NN - well out of any mortal police’s jurisdiction & in full compliance/ being forced to do it by the ruler of that nation (Mab).

So I really don’t agree with the assessments of Harry being a ‘murderer’ according to American law. The legal definition of murder is just that, a legal definition - extenuating circumstances are always considered in such cases.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justifiable_homicide

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Let’s go through the events here - the ‘victim’ (Cassius) had just spent the last few minutes cutting the ‘murderer’s’ chest open & was just about to kill him when he was interrupted by a 3rd party (Butters). The victim then breaks the 3rd party’s nose & tries to kill him with the same knife. The murderer’s dog is able to intervene & kill the ‘victim’ while protecting its master.

As you admit, that's not what happened. If Mouse had immediately killed Cassius when Mouse got his jaws on Cassius's neck, that would be different because 1) Harry was not involved, 2) it was done to stop an imminent threat, and 3) there was no deliberation.

[1.] There is no way to prove that Cassius wouldn’t have been able to get back to up & finish what he’d started - perhaps he would’ve been able to get the drop on Mouse (unlikely) or [2.] perhaps he would re-attempt this at a later date, given that’s exactly what Cassius was doing here (after the events of DM).

1. That's not the standard. Self defense requires not that the prosecutor prove there was no imminent threat, but for Harry to prove that there was one. I disagree with this ancient burden because "unlawful" is an element, so I believe the state has the burden of proving it, but judges for hundreds of years disagree. 2. Self defense requires there to be an imminent threat. Once the immediacy of the threat stops, the legal defense of self defense ceases to apply. Re-attempting at a later date is insufficient.

We only know that Harry gave the order to Mouse to kill Cassius because he expressly tells us so, why would he do this in a hypothetical court of law where he is being ‘accused’ of murder?

We don't need a jury to determine the facts so that we can conduct a legal analysis because we have the facts. The jury's only job is to determine the disputed facts of a case. Cf. jury nullification, sentencing. I've previously stated Harry could lie his way out of this one if he was charged.

[1.] All of Harry’s ‘murders’ would probably count as justifiable homicides ([2.] especially if he could get a Sidhe lawyer) - [3.] including that of Corpsetaker in DB. [4.] Like Harry tells Sarissa in CD, the only 2 people he’s killed in cold blood were Susan & Lloyd Slate. [5.] Given that Susan’s body likely vanished after the Ramps were exterminated as a species, I doubt any mortal authority would be able to prove anything there (no body, almost impossible to prove the crime) & [6.] Lloyd Slate was murdered in the NN - well out of any mortal police’s jurisdiction & in full compliance/ being forced to do it by the ruler of that nation (Mab).

1. If they are justifiable homicides, then they aren't murders. 2. If he gets away with murder, it doesn't mean he didn't commit murder. 3. I'd say that's self-defense/defense of others, but it would depend on the judge. 4. In Proven Guilty, Harry states "I murdered them. I've never killed, man...not like that. Cold." 5. Lea buries Susan's body, and it's arguable whether or not she is a human being at the time. Also, I don't know anything about homicide in civil law countries, much less Mexico specifically. 6. As I've previously stated, that depends entirely upon the U.S. governments determination of whether or not Winter is a "nation." The U.S. has extra-territorial jurisdiction.

[1.] So I really don’t agree with the assessments of Harry being a ‘murderer’ according to American law. [2.] The legal definition of murder is just that, a legal definition - extenuating circumstances are always considered in such cases.

1. His actions meet all the elements of the crime and don't meet any defense, so Harry is a murderer according to American law. 2. When we're talking about whether or not a crime occurred, it's the legal definitions that matter. When we're talking about whether or not to charge someone, pardon them, or sentencing, extenuating circumstances are sometimes considered.

People have been convicted on much less than what we have on Harry. That is, in clearer cases of self defense. In Texas, a father was brought before a grand jury when he killed a man he found raping his daughter. (Paywall) https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/20/us/father-not-charged-in-killing-of-man-molesting-his-daughter-5.html?mtrref=www.google.com&gwh=274F1345C58C43E4518B5C9748AEE0AA&gwt=pay (paywall). I have no idea why he was brought before a grand jury, but sometimes prosecutors are really just out to get someone.

I wouldn't be surprised if more people are wrongly convicted of murder because a court didn't find self defense/defense of others when it should have than when the authorities just convicted the "wrong guy."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justifiable_homicide

That article's description of self defense is wrong. It's grossly under inclusive. The self defense page is better. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defense_(United_States). It's "Retreat" section is technically wrong on a few counts. The majority of U.S. jurisdictions had adopted the majority rule of no duty to retreat well before "Stand Your Ground" laws ever showed up. The first adoption of the majority rule was by a court in New York, and not a legislature. I think it was in the Colonial period, but don't recall. It was definitely before anyone you've ever known was born.