Author Topic: The Second Coming  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Elequosoraptor

• Participant
    • View Profile
The Second Coming
« on: June 20, 2019, 12:54:42 AM »
In Chapter 27 of Storm Front, the wrap-up section shifts tenses from past to present. I believe there are a few WOJ that say that the case files (possibly the series) are sort of Dresden looking back on his adventures. The line, "My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure it at your own risk." reinforces this as he doesn't use his name as power against his foes till that thing in Cold Days with HWWBefore. The shift also occurs when talking about how the council might view him as a threat or warlock, and he says that, "for them, at least, the question has partly been laid to rest." This is ambiguous, could refer to the events of the book but just as easily to all the stuff he does later. PLus there's strong evidence that a lot of stuff in Storm Front comes back later, and some of it has. I believe there is a WOJ where he basically says, wouldn't it be super nerdy of me to drop stuff in there to bring up later? For clues, it's potentially the most significant book and stuff inside it, even minor, shouldn't be ignored.

Ok now that I've laid out the evidence for these words being future Harry I want to point out something I haven't seen anyone discussing that has significant potential, esp. for BAT.

"The world is getting weirder. Darker every single day. Things are spinning around faster and faster, and threatening to go completely awry. Falcons and Falconers. The center cannot hold."

This paragraph is multiple allusion to a poem by Yeats called The Second Coming, and the multiple allusions make sure the reader knows that its not just the common phrase "the center cannot hold" but the poem itself. I'll post the poem below, but there's at least one reference to a sight (which could be interpreted ads Sight) and the spirit of the world. I think the poem provides clues as to the overarching plot of the Dresden files, if correctly interpreted, sort of like a prophecy (but in reverse). Here's the text of the poem.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

-Yeats

Offline Elequosoraptor

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: The Second Coming
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 02:31:30 AM »
If I'm right about this we'll see a sphinx in some form show up in the next few books. Here's a good analysis of the poem with some useful breakdowns and extra info, I'm still sorting through it so I haven't started drawing parallels yet.https://www.shmoop.com/second-coming/stanza-1-summary.html

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 02:44:20 AM »
We are likely to see a sphinx even if you are wrong.

Offline Elequosoraptor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 02:58:04 AM »
We are likely to see a sphinx even if you are wrong.
I'm curious why you say that. There are plenty of common mythical creatures that have barely been mentioned much less shown up in the series, there's no reason for a sphinx to be here more than a griffin, harpy, gorgon, hydra, basilisk, manticore, cyclops, etc.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »
I'm curious why you say that. There are plenty of common mythical creatures that have barely been mentioned much less shown up in the series, there's no reason for a sphinx to be here more than a griffin, harpy, gorgon, hydra, basilisk, manticore, cyclops, etc.

Yeah,  I don't think we will see those creatures either..  I think it is the first part of the poem.. The White Council falling apart,  more warlocks because not enough wizards willing to train future wizards..  Disruption with in the White Council, the Winter and Summer Courts by Nemesis,  rot from with in..

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 02:17:55 PM »
I don't know. Maybe it has nothing to do with the story, but if it has, I don't think it means encountering an actual sphinx. Maybe something a sphinx does or represents. So, what does a sphinx do?
Guards something (Outer Gates?). In order to get through one has to solve a riddle. If you can't solve the riddle, the sphinx kills you. But you can always chose to walk away instead. The sphinx won't go after you. It's purpose is only to guard the way.

But if the riddle is solved, it has to let you through.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »

There was a cyclops in Chapter 48 of Skin Game.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
Nic Archleone would make an excellent lion with the face of a man, even if we think he's not THE big bad he seems a logical participant in any events regarding the Second Coming.