Author Topic: How do I represent this power up?  (Read 3444 times)

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How do I represent this power up?
« on: May 29, 2019, 11:31:09 PM »
The situation is: thirteen magically talented women (one wizard and twelve people with their magical abilities represented as different sponsored magics) get kidnapped one at a time by a seriously overpowered Koschei who is using them as magical batteries that he can draw on. They, naturally, object to this, and end up performing an enormous ritual with the effect of letting all of them draw on each other's magic as well as breaking the links Koschei had to them.

During the fight with Koschei, they have unlimited access to each other's powers, but after the fight, some of the effects of the ritual fade, and while they're still linked, they can only draw on one of each other's powers at a time, and the person who's power they're drawing on has to consent (they have a mental link, so they can talk to each other at a distance--this is mostly only relevant for getting this consent). I'm not sure how to represent this. I was thinking of either giving each of them a -3 refresh "modular magics" power that allowed them to access any one of the sponsored magics and switch them out with an action, or a -2 refresh power that allowed them to access any of the sponsored magics for a fate point. Do you think that either of these would work, and if so which one?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: How do I represent this power up?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 12:01:44 AM »
My question is, how different are the Sponsored Magics, mechanically speaking?

If they're similar enough, I'd say you could get away with doing this through a shared aspect among them.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How do I represent this power up?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 12:05:08 AM »
My question is, how different are the Sponsored Magics, mechanically speaking?

Probably pretty different. I haven't figured out quite who all the people are yet, but one is a wizard, one is a firebird, one is probably going to be a river spirit, one is going to be something cold-related that's not a faerie, and one's probably going to be something similar to a ghost.