Author Topic: Molly’s soulgaze in PG  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Lazarus52980

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Molly’s soulgaze in PG
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
IIRC, there was a "Word of Jim" that Molly was supposed to become a warden during the events of Dead Beat, but since the publisher wanted him to move up that book for various reasons the chance for her to redeem herself by becoming a warden didn't take place.  It seems like he might have written that part (and that book) already and left that part in.  I think Molly's story would have turned out very differently as a warden. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »
And nothing we've seen suggests that it has any kind of actual foretelling aspect.

Assuming by "it" you mean either the sight or a soulgaze, which is part of the sight, then it does have a kind of actual foretelling.

Storm Front, Chapter 24:
I Saw the house ... and knew that those were part of its possible future. ... Death lay in the house's future, tangible, solid, unavoidable.

Though, I wouldn't argue with you that the rules of magic in the first three books are a little different than the rules in the rest of the series, and the sight doesn't seem to have the ability to tell the future in any later instance.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 10:42:18 PM »
One was an emaciated version of Molly, as though she’d been starved or strung out on hard drugs, her eyes aglow with an unpleasant, fey light

Now let me show you a picture of Mab in Ghost Story away from her power center having over
stayed her season keeping Harry alive.. pages 472-473

Mab looked. . . not cadaverous.  It wasn't a word that applied.  Her skin seemed stretched tight over her bones, her face distorted to inhuman proportions.  Her emerald green eyes were inhumanly huge in that sunken face, her teeth unnaturally sharp.  She brushed a hand over one of my cheeks, and her fingers looked too long, her nails grown out like claws.  Her arms looked like nothing but bone and sinew with skin stretched over them, and her elbows were somehow too large, too swollen, to look even remotely human.  Mab didn't look like a cadaver.  She looked like some kind of starved insect, a praying mantis smiling down at its first meal in weeks.

This could be a picture of Queen Molly, or even Winter Lady Molly in five or six hundred years or so
unmasked away from the powers that nourish the Fae of the Winter and Summer Courts..  Most of her humanity gone, possibly her soul as well...  And if she opts to go full warlock, even more so....

Offline kbrizzle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »
@Mira
That is a really good pickup. It could also just be what happens to the Fae when they’re really stretching themselves thin

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 11:07:33 AM »
@Mira
That is a really good pickup. It could also just be what happens to the Fae when they’re really stretching themselves thin
TBH some of my colleagues (the skinny ones) look a bit like that when very tired and stressed.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 01:35:07 PM »
TBH some of my colleagues (the skinny ones) look a bit like that when very tired and stressed.

Or it is what the Fae look like when they over stay their time, remember the Stone Table and the balance of the seasons..  Winter was prolonged because Mab stayed on the the island nursing Harry.. Yes, over tired and stressed, but face it Mab shouldn't be either, except she over stayed her time... Thus all the illusions of her beauty and youth are stripped away revealing the real thousand year old Mab who is no longer human... The same thing will happen to Molly eventually as the centuries go by...