Author Topic: Is the Merlin a Mantle?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline sonwarrior

• Participant
    • View Profile
Is the Merlin a Mantle?
« on: May 08, 2019, 07:03:10 PM »
Just a quick question/WAG. Do we know if the Merlin, as the head of the white council, is merely a title or also a mantle? Is there a WOJ that speaks either definitely for or against this idea? I

I think there could be some fun story telling that would go along with this if it were true.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Merlin a Mantle?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
I believe it's a title rather than a mantle. There's no evidence to suggest that being labeled the Merlin provides any kind of power boost. Plus they're elected, not selected, which is kinda not how we've shown Mantles to really work.
On the flip side, in order to be chosen to be the Merlin, you're probably already the most capable wizard alive at the time, so I don't think a mantle would even be necessary.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 07:37:14 PM »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 12:34:17 AM »
Just a quick question/WAG. Do we know if the Merlin, as the head of the white council, is merely a title or also a mantle? Is there a WOJ that speaks either definitely for or against this idea? I

I think there could be some fun story telling that would go along with this if it were true.

Yeah Jim has talked about it. 

Paraphrasing:  Langtry is the Merlin because he controls the purse strings (money) for the Council, and the wardens.  Also you become Merlin by being the most powerful wizard.

So no I don't think being the Merlin is a Mantle, but a title.  Langtry might not be the most powerful wizard, but he's the most powerful one that wants to lead the Council.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »
No.  It is not a mantle. 
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 11:26:40 PM »
No.  It is not a mantle.

Yes and no...  Does the one who holds it gain any physical powers?  No..  It isn't like becoming the Winter Knight or Lady...  However the one who holds it gains great political power, which gives him some power over those who do hold a mantle... One could say, being Blackstaff is a holder of a mantle from what we've seen of it in action...  Holy Knights are kind of mixed, in of themselves they do not have special powers, but the Holy Swords do, which conveys a mantle of power of sorts to the wielder of the Sword.

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 10:17:43 AM »
Only in the realm of political power and capabilities.  Like being President of the USA and so being the commander in chief of the Armed Forces. 

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »
Identity shouldn’t be considered a “magical mantle”.  If so there is a “Karrin Murphy Mantle”.  People are using “mantle” as a shorthand for “identity”.  They shouldn’t be the same thing.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »
Identity shouldn’t be considered a “magical mantle”.  If so there is a “Karrin Murphy Mantle”.  People are using “mantle” as a shorthand for “identity”.  They shouldn’t be the same thing.
I think the OP was actually asking about power, knowledge, constraints, etc; stuff that comes with a Mantle.  They were asking if the title of "Merlin" included a mantle that brings some metaphysics with it?  Or is it just the title/office, with what that brings?

But maybe I'm wrong.  I hope the OP clarifies, if I've misrepresented them!