Author Topic: What will Harry do if he discovers?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
What will Harry do if he discovers?
« on: May 07, 2019, 02:20:38 AM »
The demon Chaunzaggoroth told Harry both his parents died unnatural deaths.  Assuming the demon wasn't lying, we can easily guess that Harry will want payback if the perpetrator is an obvious bad guy like Cowl or Lara Raith. (I don't think either of them are responsible.)  There won't be anything he can do if Justin DuMorne was the murderer and was solely responsible for Malcolm's death.  (No Justin IS dead.) 

I think the reason why Harry hasn't tried to determine if Chauncy was telling the truth about the deaths of both of his parents isn't that he had nowhere to search.  Harry is a wizard with both major and minor contacts within the supernatural world and on the White Council.  Aside from supernatural beings, Harry could have asked Ebenezer, Luccio or even Morgan when he was dragging him around in Turn Coat, if the Council had any knowledge of Malcolm Dresden's death beyond when it occurred. 

How did the White Council know Harry was Margaret LeFay's son?  Presumably the Council either knew this before Harry became Justin's ward or they learned about it after Justin died.   In the first scenario the Council approved that Justin was teaching Harry.  In the latter scenario the Council did an investigation after Justin died and discovered the truth then.  Ebenezer met Malcolm Dresden and may have even soulgazed him, but that doesn't mean he reported this meeting to the Council.

I'm not saying anyone on the White Council could give Harry the information he'd be looking for.  It's possible none of them know anything about Malcolm Dresden other than his name, date of death and possibly his profession.  So why didn't Harry ask any of the three people I named if they knew anything?  OK, maybe asking Morgan is a stretch because of the stress and time constraints Harry was working under in Turn Coat, but there were times both onscreen and off when Harry could have asked either or both Ebenezer and Luccio about Malcolm Dresden.

Here's my answer to the above question and I've said this in another post.  I think Harry knows there is a potential volcano of anger over the death of his father just waiting to erupt if he discovers his father was murdered.  Before he learned the truth about his mother's death Harry could tell himself that Chauncy was lying.  He can't do that any longer.  I think deep down Harry is afraid to ask any further questions in this area, so he blocks any and all thinking about this at all.  So the question I am asking in the subject of this thread is what will Harry do if:

1. Ebenezer murdered his father on orders from the Council?
2. The Council knew Justin had Harry's father murdered but looked the other way because Justin didn't do it himself, meaning he didn't break any of the Laws of magic, and they felt safer with a former Warden teaching Harry?
3. Lea murdered his father because of a deal she had with Justin?
4. Lea knew Malcolm Dresden was going to be murdered but did nothing because Malcolm's safety wasn't covered by her deal with Margaret?
5.  Or some other really ugly scenario featuring the above players or anyone else Harry trusts or at least doesn't think of as pure evil?

You see, I think that just because Harry's life was turned upside down after Changes and he's had to adjust to an entire new set of threats and responsibilities that he still hasn't faced his greatest emotional challenge.  Sooner or later the truth will come out about Malcolm's death and Harry will be faced with a real moral dilemma.  I think Margaret LeFay's murder will have been simple by comparison.  A bad guy wanted revenge and a bad guy got revenge. 

What do you think will happen?  Perhaps this will be when LTW teaches Harry how to deal with anger?  Perhaps you think Harry has other issues or mysteries that will bring him personal grief.  Discuss.   

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:19:47 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: What will Harry do if he discovers?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 03:54:22 AM »

I think it depends...  I am not saying he will do nothing, but there are a lot of things on the line
these days and the list keeps growing.. Harry also no longer that obscure wizard investigator living
from hand to mouth like in the old days..  Everything he does makes ripples that eventually turn into
tidal waves that can cause great damage..  I think what will be the most frustrating for him is he finds out but because of the situation is forced to do nothing...