Author Topic: Non-plot moments you're most looking forward to  (Read 16449 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Non-plot moments you're most looking forward to
« on: May 03, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »
So I was thinking about some scenes that I really want to see, but which aren't super-relevant to the ongoing plot. For instance, I really, really want to see Harry soulgaze his daughter for the first time. Mostly because I assume that Harry is absolutely freaking terrified of doing that, both because he's afraid she hates him and/or because he's afraid she will hate him based on what she sees. It would be an entirely new kind of vulnerability from Harry, who's had so little experience with family, and pretty much zero experience with Maggie.

I know it probably won't happen for a long time unless it's accidental since Dresden will want to put that off as long as he can, so it's not like I'm expecting it in Peace Talks (though a Murphy soulgaze is on the table, and I believe there is some anticipation in the community for that event).

What moments like this—ones that are pretty much guaranteed to happen—are you most looking forward to?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Non-plot moments you're most looking forward to
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:55:44 PM »
Eb getting to play grandpa to Maggie and Thomas junior would be cool.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 12:05:24 AM »
It's not entirely "non-plot", but the scene that's been stuck in my head since Peace Talks was announced is Harry Dresden facing down He-Who-Walks-Before (or -Behind), like in Cold Days, with a side of the overwhelming despair in the Deeps in White Night -- but with wizards of the White Council watching. I'm pretty sure none of them have any idea that he's a Starborn, or what that means.

I'd also still love to see Shagnasty confined to Demonreach, even if it's just in passing.

Molly coming out to her parents as Winter Lady.

Molly, as Winter Lady, interacting publicly with the Merlin, who had publicly tried to have her killed.

And lots of Harry's particular version of being diplomatic with monsters...

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 01:09:55 AM »
I'm pretty sure none of them have any idea that he's a Starborn, or what that means.

Some of the senior council almost definitely do. Martha's "you know what he was meant to be" to LtW in Summer Knight comes to mind. Plus Rashid, obviously.

For instance, I really, really want to see Harry soulgaze his daughter for the first time. Mostly because I assume that Harry is absolutely freaking terrified of doing that, both because he's afraid she hates him and/or because he's afraid she will hate him based on what she sees.

Given Jim's affinity for torturing the reader via Harry, I can't really see that playing out many ways other than her seeing his memory of sacrificing Susan. Although I kind of wonder if it wouldn't strike Harry harder for her to actually understand - showing him she grasps how nasty the world can be at times - than to hate him for it.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 01:20:36 AM »
We don't necessarily know what Martha's comment was referring to, as Harry has been meant to be a lot of things.  Though that could be it.

Jim has said that the Council has a lot of info but hasn't yet put two and two together, so at large, they may or may not know until they actually think about it.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 08:09:50 AM »
We don't necessarily know what Martha's comment was referring to, as Harry has been meant to be a lot of things.  Though that could be it.

Jim has said that the Council has a lot of info but hasn't yet put two and two together, so at large, they may or may not know until they actually think about it.

Yea, some people think Martha Liberty was saying that Harry was meant to be an enforcer for Justin, and I believe I read a post a long time ago, where someone suggested Harry was meant to be part of whatever scheme Margaret cooked up with Lord Raith and Duchess Arianna.  That one a total WAG, because we don't have a clue of what that scheme was, just that Ebenezer was against it.

As far as non-plot moments; maybe we should call them minor plot moments, I'd like to see Harry tell Murphy about her father, though I don't think Harry could just blurt it out, it would have to be prompted by something Murphy said about her father that would push Harry to talk about meeting her dad.  Though I suppose Harry would also have to mention that he met Detective Carmichael.  That would be an interesting conversation to read.   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:18:00 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »
I don't know how non-plot relevant this is, but I really want to see Listens to Wind teaching Harry.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 11:33:40 PM »
I don't know how non-plot relevant this is, but I really want to see Listens to Wind teaching Harry.

Yes!

But it feels like the moment has passed. That was a huge, huge offer Harry got after Turn Coat, and I can't believe he never pursued it.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 01:52:58 AM »
Yes!

But it feels like the moment has passed. That was a huge, huge offer Harry got after Turn Coat, and I can't believe he never pursued it.

I used to think LTW could help Harry with the problems the Winter Knight's mantle creates for him, but I'm no longer certain that's the case.  Harry was angry about the way he was mistreated by Justin, by the Council after Justin's death, by the continued harassment of Warden Morgan, finding out his mother was murdered by Lord Raith; and I bet part of the reason Harry has never talked about the possibility his father was also murdered; even though he has good reason to suspect that was the case, is that it could unleash a volcano of anger that Harry would have no way to control or vent at anyone or anything.

Now Harry's more immediate problem is the Winter Knight's mantel pushing violent aggressive images and feelings on him.  However, a lot of those images and feelings aren't about deep seated anger issues, they're often territorial or sexual in nature, and they get ramped up to intoxicatingly dangerous levels by the Knight's mantel.

I'm not certain there would be a match between what LTW could teach Harry and what he is going through now.  Plus, there are times when Harry needs to draw on the vicious power of Winter to get the job done.  If Harry suddenly went Zen Master cool, not only could that get real boring real fast it might create problems of its own.  The level of suppression Harry would need to completely master Winter Knight's mantel might slow him down when he really needed to let go and kiss ass.

If Harry gets some degree of training from LTW, I won't be surprised if most of it happens off screen.  Harry has a conversation or two with LTW in Peace Talks.  Maybe Harry gets a simple lesson or two, and then in the next book Harry tells us he has been practising meditation techniques LTW taught him after PT or had him study after PT.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »
Rashid knows Harry's a Starborn so there's atleast one, I'd bet money Ebenezar knows as well.

As for non-plot moments Harry's father with a shotgun talk with Bob about Bonea is one moment I'm looking forward to. Particularly since it's all but been confirmed.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 10:07:36 PM »
Three Scenes that will be good to see
1) Harry introduces Molly to Ebenezzer

2) Harry, Murphy and the Cops at SI working together around Peace Talks.  Harry is presumed terrorist/dead, Murphy is presumed crooked/crazy/crippled and Stalling/Rallings at SI seeing them again when things get really weird/dangerous. 

3) The cops at SI seeing Butters as a Knight of the Cross for the first time -- knowing that this is Butters! 

As you can tell, I think it has been too long since the SI cops have had a part in a Dresden book.  :)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:09 PM »
Given Jim's affinity for torturing the reader via Harry, I can't really see that playing out many ways other than her seeing his memory of sacrificing Susan. Although I kind of wonder if it wouldn't strike Harry harder for her to actually understand - showing him she grasps how nasty the world can be at times - than to hate him for it.

I think she'll see Harry's guilt over it, and over a whole ton of other events over his life. I don't think that moment is the defining one for Harry; he's had too many other important ones during his life. He's not Helen Beckitt, you know? His soul isn't defined by killing Susan like hers was when her daughter was shot, but Harry's guilt over it (and over everything else that's happened when he failed, or thinks he failed) is. It's like when Harry soulgazed Molly; he didn't see her memory of using magic, he saw that she had potential. When Maggie soulgazes Harry, I think she'll see that he's done terrible things, but tries to do better things, too. Does that make sense?

If anything, Maggie is the one whose life-defining moment happened at Chichen Itza. So Harry might see himself killing Susan, because she's never been able to move past it (though apparently she doesn't remember it, trauma has a nasty habit of lingering despite blanks in your memory; she still has panic attacks, as I recall).

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 09:19:01 PM »
I would like to see Harry's first contact with the White Council (especially with the Merlin) as Winter Knight. This might result in them  asking why he has decided to become the WK and they will ask why he made such a big decicion for a mere clients child as he claimed. They will know the child must be special to him and why.
So I am also looking forward to seeing Maggie introduced to the Council.
And how her relationship with Harry and Ebenezar develops.

And I am curious how the Karrin-Harry relationship continues.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
Me again ;D

... And it would be fun, if Mab ordered Harry to contact the Merlin and beg him to teach him how to be a better Warden for Demonreach by improving bis magical abilitys. Because there may be knowledge passed down from Merlin to Merlin since the original one createt the wards on the Island. And only he can teach Harry. That would be horrible for both of them. Muahaha.  ;D

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 02:02:55 AM »
Lea taking Harry and Maggie to see Susan's grave

(She promises, at the end of Changes, to arrange Susan's burial and to take him to visit whenever he wishes.)