Author Topic: Harry, Star Wars and pop culture in general.  (Read 3299 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Harry, Star Wars and pop culture in general.
« on: May 02, 2019, 01:16:28 AM »
Harry likes to make fun of supernatural characters who live around humans but don't keep up with current pop culture. He even likes to mention that older wizards have trouble keeping up with modern culture.  The early books started with Harry making pop references from the 1980's.  As late as Cold Days Harry recognizes Shinedown's 45 being played at his birthday party in Arctis Tor.  But 45 came out in what year, 2003? 

Harry is a Star Wars fan, but I don't know if he has ever said anything about the prequels.  The last two Star Wars movies; but particularly The Last Jedi, polorized much of the Star Wars fan base.  Assuming the Dresden verse is parallelling our own time line, I wonder if Harry has had the time to even notice things like the Star Wars controversy or that the MCU has overtaken Star Wars as the most popular movie franchise.

This may seem like really minor stuff, but it is part of the Harry we have got to know and love.  Now that Harry is a parent I wonder if we see him be baffled by some pop culture nugget Maggie mentions.  After all, she can still watch television; when she's at the Carpenter's home, and shouldn't have any problem going to movie theaters, at least for a little while longer.  Discuss 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:05:15 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Harry, Star Wars and pop culture in general.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 07:56:50 AM »
I've seen this brought up before and I think there's a WoJ somewhere that Harry goes to drive in cinema's for his latest films. However as of Cold Days he recognises Shinedown 45 like you mentioned but didn't get Bob's Firefly reference about 'the special hell' the one where child molesters and people who talk at the theatre go to. Harry even thinks that he doesn't understand the reference.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
Re: Harry, Star Wars and pop culture in general.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 01:55:45 PM »
Gotta wonder how Harry will react to the last several SW movies, too! Or maybe JB will avoid mentioning them to avoid that can o worms.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)