Author Topic: Magic suppressing items  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Magic suppressing items
« on: April 24, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »
Hello, dear DF-Fans!
There is something I've been asking myself since the book (can't remember the title) where Harry is at the Larry Fowler Show with Ortega and the Priest. He is using a spell that suppresses bis magic. He has to concentrate a lot to keep it going.

And we know, there are at least two kinds oft thorn manacles (fae made and those with iron, Nicodemus used in Skin Game).

So maybe a wizard could make a magical item without thorns to keep a magic suppressing spell going, like for example the shield bracelet helps keeping the shield going.

That way a wizard could use technology if he wanted to. He would just have to activate bis suppressing bracelet/amulet/chosen focus item. Without pain.

What do you think?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Magic suppressing items
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:38:39 AM »
A circle goes both ways.  Butters used a circle to block Harry from interfering with the GPS.  And apparently Molly would watch TV from within a circle at her folk's place.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:25 AM »
Yes, but that is not what I meant. With a circle, you can't walk around using a cellphone or drive a new car or work in an office or a place with complex technical equipment.

Harry didn't use the GPS. Butters had to, because had Harry used the device, it would have been trapped inside the circle with his magic and not in a magic free circle with a nonmagical Butters.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:43:24 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 05:07:27 PM »
I think in theory Harry could construct such a device but it wouldn't be without risks.  Harry's wizard senses have alerted him to danger that he didn't know was there.  He would also be vulnerable to magical attacks while it was active.  I'm not sure Harry would feel comfortable using such a device.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 03:15:56 AM »
I think in theory Harry could construct such a device but it wouldn't be without risks.  Harry's wizard senses have alerted him to danger that he didn't know was there.  He would also be vulnerable to magical attacks while it was active.  I'm not sure Harry would feel comfortable using such a device.

The Larry Fowler show seems proof enough of that. Harry could easily have talked to Fowler and explained he needed to draw a magic circle to avoid destroying the camera equipment. Fowler would have eaten that up. But Harry chose to rely on active suppression.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 03:38:45 PM »
The Larry Fowler show seems proof enough of that. Harry could easily have talked to Fowler and explained he needed to draw a magic circle to avoid destroying the camera equipment. Fowler would have eaten that up. But Harry chose to rely on active suppression.

Harry on Larry Fowler, holding in his magic and trying to play it cool: https://media.giphy.com/media/LRVnPYqM8DLag/giphy.gif