Author Topic: Bob, Harry and the secret of Bonnie  (Read 5369 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Bob, Harry and the secret of Bonnie
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 03:47:03 PM »
knowledge can be shared without losing anything.  Literally, Harry could order Bob to share all his knowledge with Bonnie and she would become more powerful, and he would not become less powerful.  Its not like energy.
Even if you accept that acquiring knowledge does not require effort to share, it does still have, at minimum, one cost: time. This doesn't count Harry's instinctual use of Demonreach's Intellectus to run through the woods, because in that instance the knowledge being transferred is closer to "how do I wiggle my fingers" than "what is string theory." Even using Demonreach's Intellectus to discover more complicated information requires questioning, focus, and thought.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Bob, Harry and the secret of Bonnie
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 03:59:36 PM »
Even if you accept that acquiring knowledge does not require effort to share, it does still have, at minimum, one cost: time. This doesn't count Harry's instinctual use of Demonreach's Intellectus to run through the woods, because in that instance the knowledge being transferred is closer to "how do I wiggle my fingers" than "what is string theory." Even using Demonreach's Intellectus to discover more complicated information requires questioning, focus, and thought.

This is all true, but what I'm saying is we've seen Bob absorb and transfer massive amounts of data very quickly.  So Bob and Bonnie need to sit for a week with data flowing from Bob to Bonnie.  She's still way more powerful afterward at relatively minor cost.