Author Topic: How was Demonreach filled?  (Read 8492 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
How was Demonreach filled?
« on: April 18, 2019, 06:03:36 PM »
I've been thinking about what we know about Merlin and Demonreach, based on a Reddit thread from a few days ago. One of the questions I have about it that's been bugging me lately is:

How did all of those entities (things, creatures, monsters, demigods, whatever) get imprisoned there? Was there some other kind of prison complex that Merlin took over? Did the Senior Council and Various Allies endeavor to capture the worst of the worst and hold them? Did Merlin personally capture all of those things? Did the previous Wardens seek out new inmates as part of their job? Was there some kind of ritual that trapped them all there simultaneously?

Being a prison built across time, I have zero clue how to really think about it. Were the prisoners, from our perspective, always there? Was there ever an observable (by humans, meaning the past... five thousand years, call it) time when Demonreach wasn't built, or wasn't full of evil things, or both? In fact, did Merlin deliberately drag entities across time to imprison them at some point in the past or their future? Is it possible that Merlin (or another Warden, or whoever) actually imprisoned things that haven't even been born/created yet from Dresden's perspective?

Demonreach has a whole lot of mystery to it, but this is the stuff I want to know the most right now.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How was Demonreach filled?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 06:53:08 PM »
I have thought about it some.  Depending on how you roll it, you can't have old gods without worshipers.  The same would be true for skin walkers.  So no humans, no so called gods or devils. 

Jim says that Demonreach was injured by glaciation.  The would have meant that it was there for some span of time before the glaciers retreated, somewhere around 11000 years or so ago.  And they were there for about 2 million years before that.  This could be misdirection by Jim.

Bob says the magic used to create it makes magic as Harry knows it primitive by comparison.  Merlin predates Harry by about a thousand years.  Yet he time travels at will, creates Demonreach and who knows what else.  Somewhere, somehow, Merlin had access to magic he shouldn't have had.  Either wizards devolved or he had some very potent help. 

Angels use wards.  This comes up when Lash still in action.  She was discussing the nature of the wards on Michael's panic room.  Odin's magic is Rune based.  To the best of my memory those are the only advanced forms of magic that we have had a glimpse of.

Almost certainly the circle on Demonreach could contain a god.  Mab certainly seems to have thought so. One way to get them there would have been to invoke them, much in the same way Harry invoked the Erlking.  But  you might have to know their true names.  Oh yeah, they might also need to be in this universe.

That's all I got.

As a point of speculation, if you wanted a good WTF moment, you could consider that rather than being captured in the past they might have been captured in the future and sent to the past.  Like in that big trilogy at the end.

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:12:21 PM »
I have believed that no one has used demonreach for a while.  with the idea that the heavy hitters of the fallen not knowing what it was when they used it and shagnasty not having an issue showing up at a place for a trade where a bunch of his brothers were being held makes me believe that the last time it was used was before that ice age
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:29:53 PM »

I think the problem is getting them there, once there it is pretty clear that Alfred can handle them.
Remember in Cold Days, Harry gave the word and he began to move on Mab in Cold Days, Harry reminded her that if he gave the word, Alfred could put her away, she didn't argue the point and seemed frightened... 

Offline LordDragonFire

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »
    I think the problem is getting them there, once there it is pretty clear that Alfred can handle them.
Remember in Cold Days, Harry gave the word and he began to move on Mab in Cold Days, Harry reminded her that if he gave the word, Alfred could put her away, she didn't argue the point and seemed frightened...
Surely all the entities would eventually work out nto to go there?

It doesn't seem likely that it was just 'getting them there'...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
Surely all the entities would eventually work out nto to go there?

It doesn't seem likely that it was just 'getting them there'...

I'm sure it isn't, but then again because there has been no Warden of the island in a long time, so who knows?  Remember though the original creator and most likely Warden was Merlin, himself, he would have the tools to get them too the island... But leave no doubt from the degree of Mab's fright as Alfred moved towards her, he is capable...  She is almost as powerful as any of the monsters in the place already.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 05:18:16 PM »
Jim says that Demonreach was injured by glaciation.  The would have meant that it was there for some span of time before the glaciers retreated, somewhere around 11000 years or so ago.  And they were there for about 2 million years before that.  This could be misdirection by Jim.

Demonreach (the genius loci, not the prison complex) wasn't created by Merlin, though, if I remember correctly. Genius Loci are spiritual manifestations of a powerful piece of land, so I would expect that Demonreach predates Merlin's prison. And a manifestation of the land would bear whatever scars the land receives. I think Merlin picked the island because it had a reasonably powerful genius loci, and co-opted its purpose, if that makes sense. So damage to the island millennia in the past doesn't necessarily indicate that the prison complex was there.
That aside, I think it's pretty obvious that Demonreach is special where genius loci are concerned; Morgan is particularly surprised to find out that it has intellectus, for example, and I assume that the extra power, and the fact that it can physically manifest itself is a side-effect of sitting in a place of such absurd power.

Bob says the magic used to create it makes magic as Harry knows it primitive by comparison.  Merlin predates Harry by about a thousand years.  Yet he time travels at will, creates Demonreach and who knows what else.  Somewhere, somehow, Merlin had access to magic he shouldn't have had.  Either wizards devolved or he had some very potent help. 

I've thought this, too. Merlin's description in-universe is so out of line with what we know that wizards can accomplish, even super-powerful ones like Kemmler, that it doesn't really make sense on paper. I suppose it's possible that Merlin was just particularly buff in terms of magical skill, but some of the things attributed to him—particularly Demonreach—just seem to be beyond what a wizard should be able to do. He either had some kind of sponsor (as in a Pact for Power from some higher entity—Odin, maybe; he would've been significantly more powerful back when he had active worshipers, I think, so maybe he could've helped pull things off), worked with a team (of Senior Council-level or higher wizards) to do some of these things, or something else I can't think of.

And yeah, that's what I meant in my original post; it's possible that some of the things imprisoned under Demonreach haven't even been created yet—in that they've been captured in the future and imprisoned in the past.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 08:02:19 AM »
Bob says Merlin created the prison in five different times at once.  My internal speculation is the number five refers to some kind of pentagram.  Possibly a magical containment circle drawn through time.  As to Demonreach I don't know.

As to the magic that created the island, JB appears to be doing some slight of hand.  Jim says that the prison holds dark gods, which makes it unlikely that Vadderung was ever strong enough to put them there, but not impossible.  However he has created a a second talking head in Bonea.  She's interesting because of what she could know, she's the scion of the shadow of a fallen angel.  She has been gestating since White Knight. She is the biggest plot device in the books.  It is in the realm of possibility to believe she is the source of the advanced magic in the DV.  ?shrug?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
My guess is he had help, a lot of help.  Odin, Mab, Mothers, Hades, Zeus, Uriel.....  I'm not saying they did all the leg work, but probably helped tilt the scale so he could get the job done.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline LordDragonFire

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 05:15:00 AM »
I'm sure it isn't, but then again because there has been no Warden of the island in a long time, so who knows?  Remember though the original creator and most likely Warden was Merlin, himself, he would have the tools to get them too the island... But leave no doubt from the degree of Mab's fright as Alfred moved towards her, he is capable...  She is almost as powerful as any of the monsters in the place already.
If Merlin could force them there, he'd have been powerful enough to arrest them outright.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »
For me the big question is -- how did they imprison all these critters in the first place.  Once they captured a couple, the word would have gotten out.   

This implies there is some remote "caging" magic that can be used to capture some godling that is not so stupid as to step on the island. 

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 05:45:04 AM »
For me the big question is -- how did they imprison all these critters in the first place.  Once they captured a couple, the word would have gotten out.   

This implies there is some remote "caging" magic that can be used to capture some godling that is not so stupid as to step on the island.

Word did not get to Shagnasty. It met and fought Harry on Demonreach. It seems lots of powerful beings keep secrets. Information is power. Some know, some don't.

Offline Bacchus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 07:59:00 AM »
              What if Merlin was just a past generations kemmler who actually won and made a new white council... sorta.

Harry has also mentioned more than once he was probably a real bastard,
hes literally the one who first wrote the rule not to do the kind of stuff kemmler did.
            Maybe he had a lot of experience with eating spirits which made him crazy powerful and instead of necromancy his specialty is more enchantments and time travel.  seems like a dark hallow would also work against  some enemy's army or civilians  to some degree, and in the dark ages could have been forgotten

i could see a early wizards quest to gain power from all the powerful creatures around assisted by his mentor Odin and after he gained crazy power from questionable means and after huge spans of time he slowly changes to use his powers for good and is able to modify things a bit to see him in a better light due to him being the mysterious founder of the white council.

not sure if i believe this but it seems to fit better than anything else i can think of

edit: as for creatures being unknowing of demonreach,
Isn't it fact that a large part of the islands magic is mental stuff that's also insanely more complex than anything modern wizards can do?

It has powerful effects on mortals so that over time they decide to forget it exists, which is quite insane for how humans usually act,
also the islands magic is more focused to effect powerful creatures than humans so it stands to reason that those effects wouldn't just effect humans.
something like security through obscurity being a very old concept
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:08:34 AM by Bacchus »

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »
Its possible, albeit difficult, to summon the beings there. 
You'd have to first obtain their true name.
Summoning such creatures is generally dangerous, hence the use of a circle.
Except in this case... the island is a giant circle.
I'm not certain most if any creatures, even Cthulhu like gods, can resist a summons?

So I don't think you'd inherently need to remote capture them... just summon them to the island.  However, that doesn't explain why Shagnasty would willingly step foot on it and why more don't know of the island.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 09:45:34 PM »
Demonreach has not had a warden for centuries.  No warden - no danger to shagnasty.  And the island does have that really powerful ley line to draw upon if needed.   So long as Shagnasty is confident no warden is around, the island is actually a pretty decent place to stage a big battle.