Author Topic: Another Cowl Theory  (Read 13385 times)

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Another Cowl Theory
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 03:23:23 PM »
That's an interesting theory, and one I'd never really considered.

It's got me wondering whether or not the belts might have somehow, directly or indirectly, come from the Erlking and his court. The FBI agents were, in a way, hunters, and those belts definitely gave them more hunting skills...

They still could have been delivered by Kringle, or through some other means (especially if they were tainted by Nemesis after they left the court.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:26:53 PM by CrusherJen »
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 11:32:02 PM »
Are there any Warden-level wizards that have made appearances and are not firmly in the "good guy" category?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:08 AM »
Are there any Warden-level wizards that have made appearances and are not firmly in the "good guy" category?

You mean aside from all the Wardens we see but who Harry doesn't interact with much?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 01:22:31 AM »
Kinda yes and no. I mean Cowl has to be a Warden to SC level wizard with at least 100 years under his belt. Someone with a European background. Someone who has either or been mentioned a few times in their non-Cowl identity. Someone who is familiar about Harry but not strongly connected to Harry at present. There is probably other criteria as well. Eliminate those that don't fit the character profile than focus on those that do.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 01:43:01 AM »
Kinda yes and no. I mean Cowl has to be a Warden to SC level wizard with at least 100 years under his belt. Someone with a European background. Someone who has either or been mentioned a few times in their non-Cowl identity. Someone who is familiar about Harry but not strongly connected to Harry at present. There is probably other criteria as well. Eliminate those that don't fit the character profile than focus on those that do.

I think the most memorable of the background Wardens was Warden Thorsen, whose name Harry couldn't remember.

It could also be Chandler--he's not old enough, but we have a WoJ that his specialty is time magic, so...

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 01:54:10 AM »
There's also Wild Bill.  In fact, most of the Wardens we know little enough about that Harry could easily have misjudged them. 

Offline BobbyWac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
Cowl could also be Eb. It's possible that the only reason Harry didn't die in that duel is that Cowl (Eb) just didn't want to kill him.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 06:29:50 PM »

Klaus the Toymaker comes to mind. Old enough that he was considered for the Senior Council about half a dozen places after Eb, and declines in favor of his "senior" (though when you're measuring age in centuries and decades, Eb may only be ten or twenty years older). I've often toyed (I like puns, all right?) with the idea that Klaus declined the seat mostly because he didn't want to be on the Senior Council and fall under greater scrutiny, and ultimately reveal himself.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:27 PM »
But Klaus employs much of his magic through toys and objects, and Cowl showed no sign of that.
Is there really ANYONE who is firmly in the "good guy" category?  I mean, literally, all Warden Chandler would have had to do was intercept the letter intended for Dresden from Anastasia in Changes and substitute one of his own, and suddenly Dresden not only think's he's got Ana's full trust, but all the readers think he's an A-OK guy, too.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
Well, yeah, but c'mon. How badass would it be for Cowl to whip out a whoopee cushion and level a city block with it?
More seriously, if Klaus is bothering to hide his identity, he's not going to employ his normal methods. Just because he uses toys as foci doesn't mean he only does that. After all, Eb doesn't always use the Blackstaff.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 10:43:06 PM »
Trying to remember some details from DB. Outside the bookstore, Harry glances at Cowl and Kumori. He notes that one seems a little taller than the other. If I remember correctly Cowl was the taller but not overly so. So, possibly in the 5'8" to 6'0" range. Cowl has "weathered arms." His build seems to be in the slight to normal range. His age is older than Harry with the "boy" reference. So, maybe, middle age for a wizard if not more. I would ballpark it at 100+ years. The "Goethe preference" may indicate an eastern European background. These are some of the details that are sticking in my brain.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
With magic, anything is possible but Klaus is not remotely like Cowl.

Klaus is Belgian, small, has a round belly and cheeks.
Cowl, to my knowledge, is taller than Kumori, who can hold a knife to Dresden's throat.
Therefore, its highly unlikely.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 03:19:04 PM »
Shhhh, you're ruining my not-thought-out-at-all-theory about a guy who took down a bunch of Nazis (or was it WWI? Germans, probably, regardless) with a windup duck secretly being an evil mastermind.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 11:34:28 PM »
He could rule the world with a Slinky!
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 05:08:34 PM »
I shudder to think what he would be capable of with fidget spinners.