Author Topic: Likely Bomb Drops  (Read 5537 times)

Offline sonwarrior

• Participant
    • View Profile
Likely Bomb Drops
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »
So with the updates on the website I have been propelled through the Dresden Files on the wave of mounting excitement.

This got me to thinking about which long standing questions we could have answered for us in Peace Talks, kind of like how in Cold Days we got to know more about the broader context of the fight going on.

So, which bomb shells do you think Jim will Drop? I personally hope to see more of Cowl in this book and get more knowledge about him. But also knowing more about what it means to be Starborn would be nice too (maybe from Bonnie).

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Likely Bomb Drops
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 11:18:59 PM »
I think we're going to find something major about either the Raiths or Harry's mom.  The whole thing starts some plot about family in the form of Thomas about to be a dad.  So we'll see what happens with the kid.

Offline sonwarrior

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:55:57 AM »
I love that! Given how he deals with family, that will be just one of many amazing subplots.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »

Break up of the Senior Council when it is revealed that they have been applying their thumbs to the scale of the balance of power all along causing a lot of innocents to die...

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:21:53 PM »
I think that we will find out:
 that Lara is Nem-infected,
 that Thomas will be the next Puppet-King,
 and/or that Mab is being set up.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »
Lara seems a little unlikely, given how excited Maeve was that Justine was on the island. It was heavily implied that Marve wanted to infect Justine, so that she could infect or influence Lara.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 09:59:09 PM »
 I am just going on Thomas saying that Lara was strange.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 02:01:30 AM »
I am just going on Thomas saying that Lara was strange.

I don't know if Lara being highly agressive in gaining political influence on a national level is strange.  I mean, I don't think it goes against her nature.  When Aurora and Maeve became nemfected they both tried to alter the balance of power in the supernatural world.  I doubt that Nemesis would care about altering power structures in the mundane world.

Having said that I expect some major developments within the White Court.  I wouldn't be surprised if Lord Raith gets taken out and Lara maintains; actually expands, her control of the White Court by demonstrating she learned her father's "kiss of death" move.   

As far as the White Council goes, I think it's possible this is Ebenezar's last ride.  If Eb doesn't die I won't be surprised at all if another Senior Council member bites the dust.  Whoever the Council sends to negotiate I will consider to be a "dead man walking."  I think that's a good guess to make.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:09:53 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
I am hoping Eb makes it to last case book. But, yeah, he is definitely on the soon-to-be-dead list.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »
Thirded.  I'm not sure who said it first here, but narratively, it really is time for the wise old mentor to die.

Here's hoping that he and Thomas not only learn about each other, but have some sort of reconciliation, before the end.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 06:10:45 PM »
Personally, I think Eb will make it for a while longer. He'll probably die eventually, but (in my opinion) he won't until he's a player in two books, back-to-back. So probably not Peace Talks. Maybe Mirror Mirror or Body Slam, depending upon his role in those. But I think Eb's death is going to be a major domino that gets knocked over, and I don't know if Jim wants to start that reaction yet; we're just about to be reintroduced after being absent for three books.

To me, it'd kinda be like killing off Elaine in White Night. "Oh, hello old flame we haven't seen in five books, I would feel very strongly should you bite the dust." It's what made Susan's sacrifice such a non-event for me; I never cared that Susan died, only that Harry was sad about it. For Eb's death to have emotional impact beyond Harry's personal feelings about it, we need to feel something for Eb beyond what we do now. I mean, you see it in TV shows all the time—the moment a character gets the spotlight for an episode or two in a row (especially if they reveal backstory), you know they're not going to make it much longer. It kinda telegraphs it in a lot of cases (Walking Dead was a big offender), but it really made viewers emotional when they were killed, because they started to really get the character.

So, if Eb is to die in Peace Talks, it's going almost have to be a very, very Eb-heavy book, where he and Thomas have their thing, Eb reveals whatever secrets he has left (not including the ones in his journals, because that's also a good narrative device), and we get a clearer picture of his backstory. It is a good time to do the Thomas and Eb thing, what with Thomas about to have Eb's great grandchild, but not sure it's the right time to kill him yet.

As for BOMB DROPS, well, I think we're going to see the Michael and Charity Find Out Molly is No Longer Human Fiasco.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 06:19:20 PM »
Thirded.  I'm not sure who said it first here, but narratively, it really is time for the wise old mentor to die.

Here's hoping that he and Thomas not only learn about each other, but have some sort of reconciliation, before the end.

I agree, Eb Leanansidhe is going to go bye-bye in Peace Talks.

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »
I agree, Leanansidhe is going to go bye-bye in Peace Talks.

She can't. We have a WoJ that we're going to find out what Margaret's deal with Lea was when Jim wants Lea and Harry to duke it out, and that it's going to happen in one of the later books (post-Peace Talks).

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 07:46:34 PM »
She can't. We have a WoJ that we're going to find out what Margaret's deal with Lea was when Jim wants Lea and Harry to duke it out, and that it's going to happen in one of the later books (post-Peace Talks).

Oh.

. . .

Ha, I got it! Lea dies in Peace Talks and the duel takes place in the time travel book.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 09:05:33 PM »
Although I don't want to see it happen, I think Eb will get killed in this book.  Harry will inherit all his wizard family's journals that will have all kinds of cool stuff (for later books), Eb's farm, and some other magical items.  I don't believe however that Harry will take up the Blackstaff.  He may in a later book, but I think that someone else will. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.