Author Topic: Wizard McFee from “Changes”  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard McFee from “Changes”
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »
Yeah, Gatekeeper sent them all to sleep, right? Even more impressive since they were on a boat (surrounded by running water, basically). It wasn't very far, but still.

I label "brawlers" wizards who would win in a one-on-one magical slugfest against Harry. Luccio (at least Original Luccio), Morgan, Ebenezer, Gatekeeper, Cowl, and probably the Merlin would certainly kick Harry's ass. That doesn't mean the others wouldn't win, I just think they'd probably not do it by tossing fire around.

Eh, the Gatekeeper and Merlin probably wouldn't be so crude as to throw literal fire - Turn Coat saw Harry's allies put straight to sleep (do not pass go). Ebenezar might just put Harry's heart to sleep. And so on.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »
Yeah, Gatekeeper sent them all to sleep, right? Even more impressive since they were on a boat (surrounded by running water, basically). It wasn't very far, but still.

I label "brawlers" wizards who would win in a one-on-one magical slugfest against Harry. Luccio (at least Original Luccio), Morgan, Ebenezer, Gatekeeper, Cowl, and probably the Merlin would certainly kick Harry's ass. That doesn't mean the others wouldn't win, I just think they'd probably not do it by tossing fire around.

The Merlin would most likely kick Harry's ass. He didn't become the Merlin by collecting bottlecaps. And we know he is a sneaky bastard with contingency plans for his contingency plans. However, if Harry were lucky...

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 08:23:58 PM »
I would define a brawler more as a matter of horse power instead of who would win in a fight. For example, a brawler would be more likely to rely on force instead of technique. It could also be defined as "one who brawls habitually," so it could just be that most wizards aren't brawlers because most people leave the fighting to others.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
The point is that "brawlers" are different, in my head, from other wizards. They can still kill you just as dead, it's just less likely that they'd do it with evocation, chucking around Force or Water magic (like Ramirez). Thaumaturgy, convenient portals to the Nevernever, calling in a favor, using precognition to know where to stand (and where to get YOU to stand) so that you'd die, etc.

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 12:02:32 PM »
Besides being a go-to established character, these switchboard workers, as other have noted, are likely skilled in this technology and trusted to not mess up communications.

The radio operator in a military base has to be a trusted calm person who can receive and send sometimes coded messages.  They have to be intelligent. 

And the White Council could have very few people in that department at the moment.

Offline Vodyanoy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 01:39:03 PM »
I always figured that not all full council wizards are made the same. Perhaps wizard McFee’s talents aren’t in the overt power-slinging field.

I think Harry also points out how difficult it is on the phone when people on both ends are wizards?

After recently re-reading Turn Coat, I wonder if perhaps she’s just a dreaded Bureaucromancer?