Author Topic: Way too much time to think  (Read 1793 times)

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Way too much time to think
« on: April 02, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »
Here’s a note that I wrote a couple years ago, that I completely forgot about. But Serack’s theory ties in perfectly. So I went ahunting. It’s a little all over the yard and free form, so pls ask any questions.

Here’s the note:

I wanted to let this theory bake a little before I expanded upon it. I think most religions were created to help save the universe from Outsiders. Before existence there was nothing but the outside. Then one of the denizens of that nothing created something within themselves, using choice as the engine that drives creation against nonexistence. Thus is born the Inside. Outsiders wish to return to the stasis that predates reality.

If, as some anthropologists believe, religion started as nature worship which evolved into ancestor worship, which evolved into polytheism, which evolved into monotheism, in the DV people's belief would be changing the heavens based on choices. Kind of a reverse thaumaturgy; as below, so above. I do not think the prime mover is limited by these mental paradigms as much as it can only interact via them or it risks removing choice which eliminates possible realities. Anything Outside that comes in loses power and becomes more like the inside therefore is more susceptible to reality, specifically choice. In the DV belief and choice have the power to shape reality.  When The Creator made light and hence the first day, it also produced differences or choices. Since mankind has free will, mankind affects reality, we affect the Maker. Assuming there is a Creator/Brahma/Unmoved Mover that built our existence against that which is and always was nonexistence (Inside vs Outside), then belief would shape the perception of it. And since observation changes both observer and observed, it would stand to reason in the DV that belief in natural gods would shape/create them. Then as interaction increased they became more human, less of the natural order. The same will hold true of Outsiders.

Over the years they have attempted to muddy each Starborn's message, to lead to division. I think a lot of major religion figures are Starborn. The ones that seem obvious, to me, are Rama, Buddha, TWC and the Prophet Muhammad. All four fought demons before gaining understanding.

Hinduism's many gods could have been the beginning of putting all of these manmade gods (or aspects of a singular Creator) into a single pantheon with the aim of protecting existence. Over time certain gods gain prominence and the accompanying power. This seeds the idea of a single all powerful god or state of being that is all existence. This is expressed further with the Buddha.

Simultaneously Egypt is building pyramids and shifting from many various gods to a focus on a supreme god with a representative on earth. Sumeria is creating cuneiform and writing epics of half god men that shaped the world.

The Romans moving from small household gods to the Greek pantheon also fits with the many disparate gods joining. Across the globe we see a consolidation of many into few.

This aspect makes a covenant with Abraham, starting a unifying belief further consolidating power. However, it is limited to a single tribe. TWC allows it to reach beyond the children of Israel. The Prophet Muhammad is the last Prophet of TWG and continues the work of Solomon, David, Moses, and TWC warning if the war with Outsiders.

I find myself drawn to the 2 creation stories in Genesis. The first creates existence the second wizards. Adams and Eve according to some scholars are only 20 generations removed from Abraham. The original number of DF. Anyhoo.

All religions touch upon the true divine. There is only one Outside and there may as well be only one Outsider with infinite faces and power levels. . Since none of its agents have free will they are inherently of one mind.  No possible defiance. This is the difference that was first created  with the introduction of light and time and choice, all simultaneously in the initial moment of creation.

Most religions have a something from nothing creation story. Nemesis wishes to return to nothing. This is reflected in the many prophecies about an end time battle. Nemesis does all it can to shift the blame to in universe bad guys. Kinda forcing the Love vs Hate issue so that Apathy can win.

Nemesis is going to attempt to corrupt any and every system of belief. Religion, government, art, philosophy, even love all stand to further the cause of creation. The more people choose to "not choose" the less the DV grows.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Way too much time to think
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
A very interesting theory. I like it! Especially your reasoning for why all Outsiders work as one - no free will makes perfect sense. But I also like the idea they are almost like a hive mind, all the same being but unlimited power out there doesn't translate to unlimited power inside (rather like Voidwalkers in WoW).

I also massively agree that Reality exists WITHIN the Almighty. There isn't really any other way - it is a part of It. You cannot create SOMETHING from NOTHING. So it had to come from within.

Now I don't know why the Almighty is different and chose to create and is not part of the Hive Mind of the Outsiders - this suggests it was either first OR that they aren't totally without some level of Free Will and it broke off.

The rest makes sense - starborns and prophets/holy men being aligned also. Not sure that Hinduism would have been the first attempt at consolodating the Powers That Be. A reasonable argument could be made for Egypt, China and even Mesopotamia. Ur was likely the first city after all - the birthplace of "civilization" (not the birthplace of Man of course, that was most likely Africa - if you are an evolutionist). Perhaps even in concert these things happened.

But yes that all fist everything nicely. Thanks for putting that down - I feel like I have been trying to explain parts of this (not as well) for some time and it hasn't seemed to resonate. But I am glad someone can see it!