Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 164068 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #330 on: November 18, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »
First off, Awsom map Pris, However, I do have a question, I thought just from reading the book that the feaverthorn Jungle was nearer Caldron, like somewhere near Bernard holt. Or was that a different set of woods that only Bernard could travel through?  Also Isn't Appia where the first aleran were fighting in captians fury, or was that a different set of ruins?

Different woods.  The forest near Calderon is referred to as the Pine Barrens.  And Chickndnr is correct about Appia.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 18, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
+1 on the awesomeness of the map.  Great job!
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
  • Careful, or you'll end up in my novel
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2009, 01:32:30 AM »
Most cities of the appropriate Earth era are either coastal or on a major navigable river that has uninterrupted access to the sea.

Excepting Appia. There is no mention of it being on a major river or water source. I'm still searching the text for this.
Might be why it was eventually abandoned or possibly it wasn't defensible.

Mikey

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2009, 01:52:29 AM »
Excepting Appia. There is no mention of it being on a major river or water source. I'm still searching the text for this.

Mikey

I put Appia on a river because a proto-Aleran city would have needed a water source.  Just because there's no mention of a nearby water source in the text doesn't mean there isn't one. :D

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2009, 01:56:51 AM »
I put Appia on a river because a proto-Aleran city would have needed a water source.  Just because there's no mention of a nearby water source in the text doesn't mean there isn't one. :D

oh right! What's a cubit?

Offline Mental

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2009, 02:05:38 AM »

a measurement I think.

Thanks for the map! nothing like new wallpaper on government computer! and a job well done on the map I might add.

LoL I actually looked really hard to see if I spotted a bunny in there somewheres.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:10:49 AM by Mental »
TAVAR!!!!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2009, 02:58:55 AM »

Mikey

Sorta why I said "most". ;D

1 cubit = 45.72 centimeters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2009, 03:00:37 AM »
Sorta why I said "most". ;D

1 cubit = 45.72 centimeters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit

Old Bill Cosby comedy routine called "Noah"

Offline lord_of_balrogs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2009, 06:49:27 AM »
Why is the Princep's Memorum on the west side of the Garrison? If the Marat showed up in FOC wouldn't it be more to the east? I doubt that the Marat could of crossed the Garrison and all those steadholts unnoticed without attacking anyone or being seen. I Always thought the Garrison would be to the west and the steadholts were on its eastern side.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2009, 07:12:22 AM »
Why is the Princep's Memorum on the west side of the Garrison? If the Marat showed up in FOC wouldn't it be more to the east? I doubt that the Marat could of crossed the Garrison and all those steadholts unnoticed without attacking anyone or being seen. I Always thought the Garrison would be to the west and the steadholts were on its eastern side.

If you put the steadholts to the east they would be totally unprotected which wouldn't make much sense, would it ?
The Marat who entered the valley came in a small group, through the mountains. They never went anywhere near Garrison.

The Crown legion fought the Marat after/while they overran Garrison and the valley, so the position of the Memorium is quite alright.

On a loosely related note.

What strikes me as odd is the fact that Kordholt (later Aricholt) is so far from Garados. They used it as base to hunt the Vord on Garados... makes no sense for it to be so far away.
But like I said before, the whole of Calderon deviates from how I pictured it myself.
I bet Jim did this on purpose... he wants to confuse us. :-)

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 19, 2009, 08:47:35 AM »
On a loosely related note.

What strikes me as odd is the fact that Kordholt (later Aricholt) is so far from Garados. They used it as base to hunt the Vord on Garados... makes no sense for it to be so far away.
But like I said before, the whole of Calderon deviates from how I pictured it myself.

They went to Aricholt because Aric came and said "I haz problems, helps plzthnks" and then they found it abandoned and vord-infested. After which they decided to press on, not because that was the best base but because it would take too long to go elsewhere. Necessity, rather than convenience.
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline pdqsport

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
They went to Aricholt because Aric came and said "I haz problems, helps plzthnks" and then they found it abandoned and vord-infested. After which they decided to press on, not because that was the best base but because it would take too long to go elsewhere. Necessity, rather than convenience.

My question is, why did the Vord, in setting up on Garados, ignore the 2 or 3 steadholts they had to go right past to GET to Aricholt in AF...

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »
My question is, why did the Vord, in setting up on Garados, ignore the 2 or 3 steadholts they had to go right past to GET to Aricholt in AF...

Target of opportunity?
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2009, 01:42:42 PM »

FRAK.  Aricholt should be Aldoholt on my map.

As for why the vord chose to attack Aricholt in the first place, simple.  It's the most isolated.  The Queen is nothing if not opportunistic.  Perhaps she considered it a test run.  Then, with her forces swollen with a new army of Taken, she picked a more central location as her base of power, from which she could be poised to attack any other steadholt with ease.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2009, 03:45:11 PM »
FRAK.  Aricholt should be Aldoholt on my map.

As for why the vord chose to attack Aricholt in the first place, simple.  It's the most isolated.  The Queen is nothing if not opportunistic.  Perhaps she considered it a test run.  Then, with her forces swollen with a new army of Taken, she picked a more central location as her base of power, from which she could be poised to attack any other steadholt with ease.

Make sense.