Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 163944 times)

Offline divad

• Conversationalist
  • If you taunt tigers you may get killed.
    • View Profile
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 06:43:27 AM »
your work is very much appreciated
"for certain ye must be lost to find a place that can not be found."

"For the Pizza Lord, attack!

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
  • Careful, or you'll end up in my novel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2008, 12:43:25 AM »
I need to see some page numbers to justify moving Aquitaine to the north.
I'll be glad to do it, if I can read it.
M

I've found a few problems here.
Aldoholt should be the closest to Garados. When they're fighting the Vord, they go to Aldoholt, planning to use it as a base or something (but they're all gooone!)
And Aquitaine should be in the north. It states quite a few times that it is, and that Aquitaine had northern support and Kalare had southern support.

Also, I don't remember it ever saying that Parcia and all those other nations were south of Kalare. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Offline divad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2008, 03:59:25 AM »
it is aricholt, which is called kordholt on these maps, not aldoholt that was to be used as a base of opperations

Offline kokolores

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »
I need to see some page numbers to justify moving Aquitaine to the north.
I'll be glad to do it, if I can read it.
M

We already found out in FoC that Aquitaine is a neighbour of Rhodes, so there's no way it's far in the north. Also the northern High Lords are Gaius' strongest remaining supporters not Aquitaine's.
If there's something strange in the your neighborhood, who you gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
If there's something weird and it don't look good Who ya gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
I ain't afraid of no ghosts I ain't afraid of no ghosts

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2008, 11:47:07 PM »

We already found out in FoC that Aquitaine is a neighbour of Rhodes, so there's no way it's far in the north. Also the northern High Lords are Gaius' strongest remaining supporters not Aquitaine's.

I was just trying to be thorough and answer everyone's questions :)

I'm at point at the moment where I don't see any changes to the Alera maps. I still have a few questions to think about for the Calderon Valley and I'm pretty sure we have the Mastings maps fairly accurate.

The only other map I was contemplating was a map of the citadel at Alera Imperia keyed to AF. I'm reviewing the book to see if there is enough detail to make one. If I come up with one, I'll post it at the top of the thread and mention it here at the bottom.
Mikey

Offline Shortlegger

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »
I could be wrong here, i gave my copy to my sister and havn't gotten it back in a few months, so I can't provide exact page numbers.  I think in the beginning of FoC, the scene where Tavi and Bernard first encounter the herdbane, Bernard mentions that it's unusual for them to be there.  Something about them being found near the feverthorn forest, I think to the south.  It's been a while since I read it, but that would mean a least one other land connection to the south, if not a continuous one.  Maybe a mountain range or the forest itself makes it hard for large numbers of either side (Marat or Aleran) too get through.  If someone could check their book, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2008, 01:06:10 AM »
Good catch.
I'll look it up. I think the forest is north of the holt though. I have a forest in the latest draft of the Calderon Valley, I just didn't name it Feverthorn. Sounds like that will be the next revision.

Mikey

Offline divad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2008, 01:09:56 AM »
rember that fade and tavi traveled to aldoholt from bernardholt by crossing the rillwatter and traviling through forest

Offline Epsilon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »
I think that the passage in question refers to a large wood/jungle area in the south of the Marat Lands where the herdbane originate.

Though there definatly is a wood in Calderon as well.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
I've come up with a map of Alera Imperia based on Academ's Fury:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/2185267037/

M.

Offline divad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2008, 11:39:58 PM »
that looks about right but I allways imagined the whole city set out in concentic circles with trades men lane being a complite circle and inside it was craftsmens lane and master craftsmens lane and citzens lane and garden lane and the palace

Offline Syntopicon

• Posty McPostington
  • All glory to the hypnotoad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »
Every time I see the River Gaul...it just makes me think of France...considering the meaning of Gaul and all...just saying, Alera Imperia seems circular, Paris is fairly circular...hell, there is even an Aquitania in Roman Gaul...
Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

You've seen it!  You can't unsee it!

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2008, 11:09:21 PM »
that looks about right but I allways imagined the whole city set out in concentic circles with trades men lane being a complite circle and inside it was craftsmens lane and master craftsmens lane and citzens lane and garden lane and the palace

Well, taking a look at the text, it does call it a trade quarter. And the lanes are stated as intersecting. I will make a revision making it more apparent that they are quarters.
M

Oh, and to answer Syntopicon, Jim in one of his comments stated this isn't our world at all. The names are similar because the transplanted romans would have named things on Alera after the things that existed in the world they left. Hence, the River Gaul, Aquitainia etc.

If I can find the quote I'll insert it. It's probably in the file somewhere that I keep of Jim's comments.

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2008, 06:09:08 AM »
In another thread, Jim recently said:

The "southern" cities are Kalare, Attica, Ceres, Forcia, Parcia and Rhodes.

While he did put southern between quotation marks, it does make me wonder if Ceres ought to be a bit more south -- at least relative to Aquitaine, which he didn't include among the "southern" cities.
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2008, 01:49:26 AM »
I just happened to be re-reading CuF. On p.162, Amara says, "If Kalarus's forces take Ceres, there will be nothing to stand between them and the capital." And on p.163, Gaius says, "I'm dispatching Third Imperian to your aid, but they cannot reach you before Kalare's forces. The Crown Legion, however, was on maneuvers south of the capital, and I ordered them to your aid within an hour of the attack. They've been force-marching through the night, and Sir Miles should be arriving with his men within hours. . . . I have already asked High Lords Placidus and Atticus to send relief forces to link up with Third Imperian."

Based on the above, I think Alera Imperia should be where Placida is currently positioned in your map. Currently, the map doesn't support Amara's statement since Kalare would have to go through Atticus to get to Alera Imperia, and the Crown Legion maneuvering in the south of the capital would not have a rapid response advantage since it would have to march through Atticus to get to Ceres.

Edited to correct the last statement.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:46:07 PM by Kathleen Dante »
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com