Author Topic: They Shall Rise  (Read 1969 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
They Shall Rise
« on: February 23, 2019, 06:17:43 AM »
Morty wrote a book with this title from information he obtained from Being's from the NeverNever.  Harry said it was bad info from spirits who like to con people about Armageddon...  Morty (In Grave Peril) goes on to state that the barrier between Earth, and the NeverNever is not a wall.  "It's more like Saran Wrap, Wizard.  Like Jell-O.  It bends and wiggles and stirs".  He also goes on to say "a new generation of viruses is coming too"...  Makes me think back to Harry visiting the Mother's cabin and what he saw there!  Another thing he said "and you'll have more problems with demon attacks than gang violence"....  This sounds a lot like the curtain will eventually be lifted and the mortal world knows about the Supernatural (Didn't Jim say eventually this would happen?). 

I don't know about you but I think Morty may have been right, even if his timing was off!
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: They Shall Rise
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 06:30:56 PM »
Another thing he said "and you'll have more problems with demon attacks than gang violence"....  This sounds a lot like the curtain will eventually be lifted and the mortal world knows about the Supernatural (Didn't Jim say eventually this would happen?). 

Are you saying that mortal ignorance of the supernatural is why there's a divide between our world and the Nevernever? Because that would be really interesting, if so.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 06:07:02 PM »
I think it's possible. There's a certain amount of power from faith and belief in the Dresdenverse. It's enough to supercharge the phony Shroud of Turin, for example (though the real one makes that look like a C battery). If enough people knew about it and believed in it, it might be enough to strengthen the Things that are out there.

The supernatural in the Dresdenverse doesn't seem to be as driven by belief as a lot of other books (like "American Gods," for example), but it definitely has something. Magic doesn't work if you don't think it will (or should), and Harry speculates that Mab hooked up Walt Disney with something extra to keep fairy tales in the public's mind, for example.

I do think that the mortal world will know before the end, though. In fact, it might be the End. In my head, Humanity ends up taking the reins after the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy. The Paranet is kind of a microcosm of what vanilla mortals could do; one nerd in his mom's basement gathers and correlates enough data to determine that something weird is going on in Lake Michigan in Cold Days. Humanity is more than capable of gathering enough information from seemingly unimportant data sources. It's only a matter of time before the supernatural version of WikiLeaks dumps a ton of data about the spooky side of things in the Dresdenverse (in my opinion). You can't keep stuff hidden forever, not anymore; data no longer decays, and it is no longer stored centrally. That shady government force that "disappeared" the Fool Moon tape wouldn't have been able to do it if it was digital. Hell, I'd be shocked if there weren't copies out there even in the Dresdenverse; there are plenty of OCD people who probably taped the news on VHS regularly.

And Digital copies are no longer distinguishable from the source. That's why so many watermark their images now. Used to be that photocopies and ditto machines were the best we could do; now we've got one copy that can be replicated an infinite number of times without degradation, all accessible from anywhere in the world, at any time.

So, yeah. I think the mortal world will know. They'd have to be sublimely stupid not to.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:02:41 AM »
It's not really that different from the Oblivion War. Creatures that are well-known have a strong link to touch the mortal world. Creatures that get forgotten get cut off.

I'm not sure it's going affect ghosts all that much - they seem to play by a bit different rules, being echoes of former humans to begin with - but a bunch of NN beings are probably going to get a much firmer foothold to reach in.