Author Topic: The Gatekeeper in Summer Knight  (Read 12192 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Gatekeeper in Summer Knight
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 11:20:13 PM »
Depends on what way you are using "see." I personally do not think that he physically saw them or saw them with his Sight. We know from Proven Guilty that Rashid sometimes gets information from hindsight:
My opinion is that Rashid knew they would be arriving through this skill. Kind of like Abby from White Knight who is able to see in the future involuntarily only Rashid has the skill to peer at will.
While your interpretation is possible, perhaps more so than mine, I interpret it more in the sense of Anduriel's ability.  Rashid might appear to be seen as having the ability to focus on individuals and know what they are doing when he pays attention to them.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: The Gatekeeper in Summer Knight
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »

His eye helps Rashid to see though those who who cross the Gates..

page 338 Cold Days  After Harry exclaims that his job is so secret that his eye needs a disguise.

"But they need a good eye here to be sure that the things that must remain outside do not slip in unnoticed.

"Inside the wounded," I guessed.  "Or returning troops.  Or medics."

Rashid is then pleased that Harry is learning..  But it isn't just his eye either..

On 339  Harry asks him how he knows that someone is infested and Rashid answers;
"Experience," he said.  "Decades of it.  The Sight can help, but. . ."
Rashid hesitated.  I recognized it instantly, the hiccup in one's thoughts when one stumbled
over a truly hideous memory gained with the Sight, like I had with the--- Ugh. ---the naagloshii.

Rashid then goes on to say it is an art not a skill...  Then he says something rather interesting

Time, or a bit of questionable attention from the Fates and a ridiculously enormous tool."  He tapped a finger against his false eye.

Notice he says, " attention from the Fates and"  He doesn't exactly say he also got his false eye from them, which is implied, but also implied is he got some teaching or other skills from the Fates, not just his eye..  It also implies that normally the Fates do not interfere with free will much like Heaven.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:49:18 PM by Mira »