Author Topic: Cinder Spire - Kid friendly?  (Read 20520 times)

Offline MarkD

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Cinder Spire - Kid friendly?
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:29:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I read Cinder Spire several years ago and I'm considering allowing my 12 year old son read it.  Can anyone think of any scenes in the book that might be in appropriate for a pre-teen?

Thanks!

~Mark

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Cinder Spire - Kid friendly?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:38:07 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forums. Sorry for the late reply.
My personal opinion is that it's appropriate for a kid. Nothing but some scenes of fighting, and even they are not extreme. I hope he enjoys it.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:57:12 PM »
There is mention of Rape, It doesn't happen but something along the lines of "I'll be murdered and raped most likely" and the Auroran Seargent says something like " I don't allow rapists in my troop, I'd kill you quick". Other than that I can't think of anything else of concern.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 04:20:08 PM »
Besides the rape comment mentioned by Con there is another scene where Gwen is thinking about Benedict's love life (or lack thereof) and thinks about how there has been interest from some highborn ladies. It is implied that some ladies would consider sex with a warriorborn to be an adventure, but not out right stated. Overall, pretty tame. As long as there is no fear of spiders I think a 12 year old would be fine.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
There are some glazed-over descriptions of what the Silkweavers do to people that may upset a sensitive kid. But I don't think it'd be anything more or less appropriate than, say, an episode of CSI ten years ago when it was good.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 03:57:42 PM »
Well, there's a scene where someone gouges his own eyes out with his bare hands, so that's something to think about in terms of kid-friendlyness. Other than that, what was mentioned above and general descriptions of mayhem and battle.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 10:26:00 PM »
In case others are reading. there is some magical torture i would not consider kid friendly and good guy civilians dying onscreen.

I guess it depends on the age and kid but I would not call it kid friendly.