Author Topic: Olympian Affair - what's the current status?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Olympian Affair - what's the current status?
« on: April 30, 2021, 03:09:38 PM »
So, has anybody found anything about how his advance is with Olympian Affair?
There has been no update on his website for 4 months. I've found nothing new on youtube.
I thought his progress with the book would be interesting to know. I mean like "is he still writing?"
"is he done writing and the editing process has begun?"
Things like that. ;)

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Olympian Affair - what's the current status?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 02:27:45 AM »
Really, we are due. To ship Battle Ground in Sept, Jim likely finished it in the spring.. Maybe earlier. So close to a year at least.  Even a note "First draft of the first 10 chapters is done" (first book had 69 chapters)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »
According to Google: 14 October 2021

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 02:09:39 AM »
Can't see October 2021. Be lucky to have a first draft done. He had bled chapters to his beta testers here for months before submitting a draft to the publisher for Peace Talks, and we have not seen any yet, or even a progress report. And then from first chapters, thru revisions,  to actual printing, maybe a year? Maybe hardcover in 2022, paper in 2023? if we are lucky?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 05:32:05 PM »
According to a thread in the Dresden Files Spoiler section, Jim is writing both "The Olympian Affair" and the next Dresden Files novel; "Twelve Months," more or less simultaneously.  In other words, he's writing one to several chapters of one book and then switching to writing a few chapters of the other book. 

The person who posted this information had a good source to prove they weren't making this idea up out of whole cloth.  It's been several months since I read it, so this is from memory.  I believe they found an interview on a podcast Jim did last year where he said he was going to try this method of writing in an attempt to avoid the burned out feeling he gets from being in Harry Dresden's mind continuously for an entire year. 

I hope it works for Jim, but this means I don't expect either book to be finished until some time next year.  When next year is anyone's guess.     
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
Thanks for the info. Well, to make his shipments last year, he had to finish the books buy no later than early summer, more likely spring. When he was writing Alera, he wrote them all in consecutive years, and 5 of the 6 years he also wrote a Dresden, according to a spreadsheet someone posted here. So I will go on hoping, given a year and a half between the end of Battle Ground and the end of 2021, that he will finish (but not distribute) Olympian this year, and maybe the next Dresden in 2022, with a publishing schedule of 2022 - Olympian hardcover, 2023 -  Olympian paper, Dresden hard, and 2024 -  Dresden paper. Hopefully he will get a rhythm that gets us a book in at least one of the two series each year. He used to get one of each, but the plots are more intricate now, and the books longer.  Plus he does the cons, and every so often raises hope of TV adaptations that fall thru

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 08:24:27 AM »
Anything new?
I see nothing in the official site, I would like an update about how things are going.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)