Author Topic: New reader here  (Read 6639 times)

Offline BountyHunter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
New reader here
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:05:54 PM »
I was wondering if I should read in publication order, or would it be ok if I went in a chronological reading order, slotting the comics and short stories in where the fit in the timeline?

Offline BountyHunter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: New reader here
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
Surely somebody must have an opinion?

Offline BobbyWac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:51:45 PM »
I had started with Dead Beat because it was the end display I saw when I discovered the series, but I'd recommend just starting with Storm front and reading in order.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 02:13:11 AM »
Read in publication order. The short stories aren't important to read within the timeline. They'd be something cool to read later and realize "Ah! So that's what he meant there!"
Only. I'd stop at Changes (book 12) and start reading the short stories and comics.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
Read in publication order. The short stories aren't important to read within the timeline. They'd be something cool to read later and realize "Ah! So that's what he meant there!"
Only. I'd stop at Changes (book 12) and start reading the short stories and comics.

I am going to agree with this as the best option.  Sure you could read them all in Chronological order but it would mean a lot more switching of books.  If you are between books and in the mood for a short story or 2 go ahead and read some of the ones you are past but otherwise would not worry about it until well into the series.  Plus the series really gets going after the first few books so good to get past those.  I actually started with book 10 small favor as I wanted something to listen to in the car and the book on CD version was being sold on clearance.  It was a bit confusing jumping in at book 10 but still really enjoyed it so I went back and read 1-9 then listened to 10 a second time and enjoyed it even more. :)

Sorry it took a bit to get responses.  I think more of us hang out over in the spoiler section as we have read all the books that are currently out.  I do try to remember to check in over here from time to time however.

Offline Braincandy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 01:06:09 PM »
Just don't read the short stories ahead of books that take place earlier. The Shorts frequently address the fallout from major plot events and tend to be loaded with potential spoilers.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 11:01:00 PM »
Especially don't read "Aftermath" and "Bombshells" before BK12.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline BountyHunter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »
Due to real life issues getting in the way, I'm just now finally starting into The Dresden Files. I decided to do the chronological order read.  So far, I'm enjoying it.

What I've read up to now:

A Fistful of Warlocks
Restoration of Faith
Welcome to the Jungle
Storm Front

And I've literally just cracked open Fool Moon. 

I'm enjoying the series immensely and the fact that I hear it gets way better than it is now thrills me to no end. Because I'm loving what I'm reading.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »
Have fun. I'm currently rereading random bits. Sometimes it is good to go back to previous books with the knowledge and background of the "future". At the moment I'm back in Small Favor for several reasons ;)

Offline BountyHunter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 07:27:04 PM »
I'm having fun. So far, Fool Moon has me even more engrossed than the first book did.

I'll probably make short order of the entire series at this rate.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »
It's a general opinion (that I share) that the series really gets better in book 4, so if you (like me) have liked SF and FM, be ready to enjoy. Fair warning, though, the series changes quite a lot, it becomes more than Magic Marlowe.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 07:49:06 AM »

I totally agree with this.

Especially don't read "Aftermath" and "Bombshells" before BK12.

And I wouldn't read Bombshells until after reading Ghost Story - BK13.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 12:08:39 AM »
Welcome to the club. I actually read in a weird order because i ordered several at once and the library do what the library wants.   I read 1, 4, 5, 2, 3 ,6,7, 9, 8 10 on
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?