Author Topic: walkingstick/black staff/winter knight  (Read 2521 times)

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
walkingstick/black staff/winter knight
« on: January 22, 2019, 03:54:40 PM »
By now I know it is old stuff to think mother winter's walking stick = the blackstaff.  But I was thinking there might be an additional ramification to that idea.

We believe the blackstaff removes the taint of black magic from mortal casters who use it when casting black magic, protecting the caster from going nuts.  But that is what it does for most wizards.  If it truly belongs to Mother Winter, than I started wondering about how it might interact with the winter mantle if the wizard carrying it were the winter knight.  Just thinking that might unlock a nice synergy to develop additional (unanticipated by most wizards) power for Harry in the future if he ever acquires the staff.

Then I started wondering what kind of debt mother winter might incur if he were to bring it back to her, or whether it would be his duty to return it as the winter knight.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: walkingstick/black staff/winter knight
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
would be his duty to return it as the winter knight.

He works for Winter, so yes.  There may be something that would not force him to return it though.  We don't know how or why she lost it it.  Her losing it may have been part of a deal, and that it is now owned by the White Council.  If this is the case Harry would be acting as the Blackstaff of the White Council, using it's property.  So just as Vadderung isn't serving Mab, neither would the Blackstaff who also happened to be the Winter Knight.  At least that's how I see it.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:30:51 AM »
Harry has violated the 1st law of magic. Maybe dozens of times. Jim has said Harry will/has violated all the laws. Getting the staff may remove the taint from all of this. It also may remove the Winter Knight Mantle from Harry.

Just some thoughts. I don't adhere to any of them (accept the 1st and 3rd sentences), but there isn't anything I can think of that says they are unlikely.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 07:38:27 PM »
Then I started wondering what kind of debt mother winter might incur if he were to bring it back to her, or whether it would be his duty to return it as the winter knight.
Half dozen of one, 6 of the other, I'd think. Mother Winter could not throw a possibly deadly cleaver at Harry after he brought her staff back, because it would promote him from 'vassal' to 'good vassal'. However, Harry would not obtain a direct boon in addition to that, just the ongoing benefits of being in Winter's good graces.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »
By now I know it is old stuff to think mother winter's walking stick = the blackstaff.  But I was thinking there might be an additional ramification to that idea.

...  Just thinking that might unlock a nice synergy to develop additional (unanticipated by most wizards) power for Harry in the future if he ever acquires the staff.

I'm not thinking about additional power, but about how the Blackstaff might interact with the Winter Knight's mantel.  It draws off the taint from using black magic.  What if it also mutes the violence inducing urges the Winter Knight's mantel places on Harry.  (Specifically, I'm thinking controlling this powerful Winter artifact might allow Harry to have some measure of how Winter controls him.)  Even in Skin Game Harry had to work hard not to let the mantel push him into committing outright murder when he first saw Binder entering the meeting place with Nicodemus. 

If Harry could still draw on Winter's power when necessary without being pressured to act irrationally he becomes more of his own person, and also someone Mab might eventually want to release from being the Winter Knight.  (or want to kill him)         
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 09:56:42 PM »
he becomes ... someone Mab might eventually want to release from being the Winter Knight.  (or want to kill him)         

Tomato, tomahto.