Author Topic: Fool Moon unanswered questions.  (Read 3490 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Fool Moon unanswered questions.
« on: January 21, 2019, 03:31:15 AM »
1. Pretty sure Jim said that Marcone, and Hendricks were in the military together.  Macfinn served in Vietnam.  Could there be any connection there?

2. The Curse that Macfinn has is supposed to pass down his line until the End of Days.  Those days aren't here yet in the story so it stands to reason that someone, somewhere is now Cursed.  If it's someone from the books it means they have been keeping it secret.  Who could it be?  I'm leaning towards Hendricks (Mackfinn was a huge man, just like Hendricks).  Also he's been somewhat absent in the books, and hasn't really been around Marcone in recent books I don't think.

3.  I'm still in the middle of the book so this might be answered later but WHO destroyed the Macfinn's Circle?  I'm guessing that Cowl is behind it.  I'm thinking he's behind Victor Sells from Storm Front, he supplied the Wolf belts, and broke the Circle in Fool Moon, he supplied Nemesis to Leah in Grave Peril. 

4.  Is this Werewolf curse tied to Fenrir, the Wolf destined to kill Odin?

Here is something else that comes to mind.  Nemesis to Leah is an obvious thing, but why Victor Sells, the broken Circle, and Wolf Belts?  Were these things nothing more than a distraction?  Were other things going on in Chicago while Harry was running around trying to put out these fires?  I don't see what Cowl's end game was if he really is behind Victor, the Wolf Belts, and the Broken Circle.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:45:00 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fool Moon unanswered questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:00:02 AM »
1. Where'd Jim say that? I've never heard anything like that.

2. I'm sure you're familiar with all the talk of it being Fitz from Ghost Story. If not, I'll put what I can remember about all that here. I don't think it's Hendricks. I'm unsure of whether the curse is supposed to pass the original cursed guy's line like a royal succession, or just go straight down the line from father to son until the "End of Days."

If like a royal succession, it could be literally anyone. St. Patrick was in Ireland somewhere in the 450-500 A.D. range. Assuming that's when he cursed the o.g., that gives us about 40 generations to work with, conservatively.

3. It was the FBI guys. Denton's supernatural contact/puppeteer told him about the White Council and MacFinn. The point was to pin it on MacFinn for the supernatural crowd and the Streetwolves for the vanilla authorities.

4. The Victor Sells thing almost certainly had something to do with pulling of a major generational kill like the one in Changes. It was probably someone testing it out through Sells. I don't think it went as planned. I don't know what the long game was in Fool Moon. It could just have been to stir up some chaos.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:02:46 AM »
I remember hearing about Marcone and Hendricks serving.  It's unlikely that they'd have served with MacFinn, given their ages and the years.

Also, the idea that the curse will last till the end of days came from Chauncy, yes?  He was talking about legend, so those legends may not be 100% accurate.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 04:35:41 AM »
he Curse that Macfinn has is supposed to pass down his line until the End of Days.
His line ended when he was killed.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 06:44:25 AM »
Part of the alleged curse was that his line would not end.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:43 AM »

"MacFinn is a member of an ancient family line from an island known as Ireland.  His family has a notable history.  Sometime in the murky past, legend would have it, the man known as Saint Patrick cursed his ancestor to become a ravening beast at every full moon.  The curse came with two addenda.  First, that it would be hereditary, passing down to someone new each and every generation.  And second, that the cursed line of the family would never, ever die out, lasting until the end of days"

passing down to someone new each and every generation
MacFinn is a member of an ancient family line

Even if Macfinn didn't have any known relatives, from the time the curse was made it would travel so far, and vast as the family tree branched off to cousins, second cousins, third cousins ect... 

It's unlikely that his entire family line is gone.  It's highly likely that someone, somewhere in the Dresdenverse is cursed..
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:09:11 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
If he died without issue then his line ended. But either the books adhere to some rule about this or they don't.  What is the rule?  For instance the bloodline curse on Harry doesn't seem like it would take out every person who is distantly related to Harry. It would have taken out Maggie then EB and then reflected outward to take out Thomas.  But there would have been a direct link to everyone who would have died.  The same with the Red's.  I read this as the rule.  There must be a direct link.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:51:52 PM »
If he died without issue then his line ended. But either the books adhere to some rule about this or they don't.  What is the rule?  For instance the bloodline curse on Harry doesn't seem like it would take out every person who is distantly related to Harry. It would have taken out Maggie then EB and then reflected outward to take out Thomas.  But there would have been a direct link to everyone who would have died.  The same with the Red's.  I read this as the rule.  There must be a direct link.
Ancient irish inheritance worked differently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanistry

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:33:22 PM »

Then there are 3 ways to look at it.

1.  Chauncy is wrong
2.  Chauncy is right, and there is another cursed person out there.
3.  Chauncy is right, Dresden killed the last cursed person, and the End of Days has begun.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 10:00:55 PM »
I vote 3.

Offline Micdavidson00042

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 11:58:38 PM »
I like to think Tera was pregnant with MecFinn's kid by the end of the book. I want to see a werewolf loup-garou raised by sion wolves in the end trilogy.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 05:04:17 AM »
I like to think Tera was pregnant with MecFinn's kid by the end of the book. I want to see a werewolf loup-garou raised by sion wolves in the end trilogy.

I thought of the same thing while I was at work.  Also because wolves age faster than humans (if Harry's theory is correct), that kid could be quite a bit older in human form in future books.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 04:14:24 AM »

Says who? Fitz from Ghost Story had eyes similar to Tera West, he has an Irish name, looked Native American, except for his red hair, he could sense ghosts like 1 in 10 k-9s, Tera West was MacFinn's "mate."

It's unlikely that his entire family line is gone.  It's highly likely that someone, somewhere in the Dresdenverse is cursed..

St. Patrick was in Ireland somewhere in the 450-500 A.D. range. Assuming that's when he cursed the o.g., that gives us about 40 generations to work with, conservatively.

I think "cursed line" implies that it is the original guys line that won't die out.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 11:11:07 AM »
There may be other lines in MacFinns family tree.  After 40 generations the number could be in the tens of thousands.  But if the line passes through MacFinn, and MacFinn died without children his line ended.  If Fitz is is the child of MacFinn and Tara West, then she is a bad mother, because he's wandering the streets of Chicago homeless 15 years or so after the events of Fool Moon.  I can't be definitive on this point since JB can hand wave any rule set he wants into existence by fiat.