Author Topic: Is there a point in time Harry was forced against his will?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Is there a point in time Harry was forced against his will?
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
Harry has mentioned that several wizards on the Council know his Name.  He also gave Chauncy 3 of his Names and said that Chauncy provides information to many wizards, and that some would want his Name...  Goes on to say he could be killed with it or forced to do something.

My question is, has there been a time during the series that stands out to you as a possibility for Harry being manipulated this way?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a point in time Harry was forced against his will?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:34 PM »
Besides some bit in Small Favor when he was restricted from knowing fire magic?

I don't know how much of his Names given to Chauncey are in play right now.  Harry is a malleable being and he could have changed enough as a person that the Names given then are not who he is now.  Harry of FM wasn't a father, teacher, mentor, killer of Fae Queens, bearer of Lasciel's Shadow, redeemer of Lasciel's Shadow, Knight of Winter, Warden of the White Council, Warden of Demonreach, journeyed into part of the afterlife only to come back again, gifted Soulfire by an Archangel, and whose Faith helped restore the Sword of Faith to an even greater power.

While much of that has been what has happened to Harry, it has helped him define and redefine who he is.  He was much more innocent back then, more naive, and a lot happier.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
Harry has mentioned that several wizards on the Council know his Name.  He also gave Chauncy 3 of his Names and said that Chauncy provides information to many wizards, and that some would want his Name...  Goes on to say he could be killed with it or forced to do something.

My question is, has there been a time during the series that stands out to you as a possibility for Harry being manipulated this way?

I think it has been close, I even think he admitted that one did know his full name with the inflections, cannot remember who, but it didn't work out.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:24:37 PM »
I think it has been close, I even think he admitted that one did know his full name with the inflections, cannot remember who, but it didn't work out.
Uriel and Ferrovax both managed to knock him flat using his Name, at least, but they cheat.

Can't remember any normal humans, personally, and thus no time (apart from Mab on fire magic) that he got manipulated that way.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:54:49 PM »

He said that Morgan had it in Storm Front, but then added that other wizards on the Council had (I think from his trial)
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 01:54:32 AM »
Uriel certainly thought that his Free Will was abrogated when Lasciel lied to him.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 05:12:19 AM »
Uriel certainly thought that his Free Will was abrogated when Lasciel lied to him.

That's true but I'm talking more about if his Name was used to control him.  A hypothetical example.  When Nicodemus tossed the Coin into the yard.  Harry admitted that he wanted to pick up the Coin, he was tempted by it.  However if a wizard had used his Name, and told him to pick it up, his free will would have been violated but because a wizard had done it, the Angel's couldn't balance the scales.  He would have remembered wanting to pick it up even if it wasn't really the case, he'd been made to want to pick it up. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:34:50 AM by groinkick »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
That's true but I'm talking more about if his Name was used to control him.  A hypothetical example.  When Nicodemus tossed the Coin into the yard.  Harry admitted that he wanted to pick up the Coin, he was tempted by it.  However if a wizard had used his Name, and told him to pick it up, his free will would have been violated but because a wizard had done it, the Angel's couldn't balance the scales.  He would have remembered wanting to pick it up even if it wasn't really the case, he'd been made to want to pick it up.

Nic knows this as well.  This is why he set Harry up or took advantage of the situation..  He knew that Harry would never under most circumstances pick up the coin of his own free will... However he knew that Harry would sacrifice himself to save an innocent child by picking it up..  Harry for whatever reason didn't use his head and avoid physical contact with it or to simply pick up little Harry so he wouldn't touch it... However at that point in time there was a level of arrogance and ignorance in Harry, he thought his will was strong enough to overcome the influence... In the end it was true, but it was close.  If he knew what he knows now about the coins, I doubt he would have touched in the first place.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:52:17 PM »
I think sub-Harry was a big factor in Harry with the coin.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?