Author Topic: Question about letters  (Read 15485 times)

Offline TerriS

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Question about letters
« on: January 12, 2019, 03:35:11 AM »
I just finished this series and I think I missed something and maybe you guys can help.

When Sextus was about to die, he gave Ehren two envelopes.  One for Aquitainus and one for Octavian.  We got a good idea what was in Aquitainus's letter.  It gets discussed quite a bit even though I don't think we ever actually see it.  But the one to Octavian is never mentioned again.  At the end of the regular book, Ehren and Octavian hadn't met back up again.  Then in the Epilogue it is 6 months later and it is never mentioned.

Did I miss it, or does the letter to Tavi from his grandfather just never get mentioned again?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question about letters
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »
I think you're right. I'm currently listening to the Audiobooks for the first time (and can highly recommend them), and I'll check back when I get to the end of First Lord's Fury, but I don't recall Sextus's letter to Tavi being described, only that Ehren somehow got himself new orders about what to do with Acquitaine, and I can't remember if they were coded in Sextus's letter to Attis, his letter to Tavi, or a separate message altogether.

Overall, I'm not sure it's too important. Tavi didn't need much from Sextus by the time he became First Lord. Personally, I think every bit of the message to Tavi was actually sent by Alera, and Ehren's message might've been a phony.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »
The letter to Aquitaine contained the proclamation of the adoption of Aquitaine as Tavi's younger brother, the recommendation of Sextus's physician to Aquitaine and the recommendation of Ehren to Aquitaine as the most reliable cursor he could pass on at this time. In addition, according to Ehren there was the hidden cypher that contained instructions to him from Sextus to eliminate Aquitaine. As far as I can tell, no mention is made of the 2nd letter after Sextus gives it to Ehren. I like to think that it contains Sextus's blessing and pride for Tavi. That would be a good question for Jim at a convention.

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »
I'm fairly sure the first letter was the one acknowledging Aquitaine as his heir. The "Super Important and Official Letter" as it were. The second recommended his physician and Ehren to Aquitaine.
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.