Author Topic: Good news and Bad news  (Read 5203 times)

Offline lw007

• Participant
    • View Profile
Good news and Bad news
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:16:45 AM »
Hi all,

Good news is: Mr. Butcher around 80% of Peace Talk written. As there is message, that chapter 39 is completed od 27th of December, and assuming that this book will be around 50 chapters as previous.

Bad news: Over the years I read a lot while waiting for new Dresden. Do you have anything interestimg to read on same genre?

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Good news and Bad news
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:08:44 AM »
Just look at list of Urban fantasy in goodreads or similar sites, and you'll find what you are looking for.

I personally has read all of the better ones in those list and right now I mostly spend my time reading Chinese translated webnovels, which is much lower in quality but still fun all the same.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 01:11:18 AM »
Where is this information coming from?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 01:33:10 AM »
Yancy Lazarus is the closest I've come to Dresden.
Theirs also the Hellequin Chronicles

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 01:42:34 AM »
Bad news: Over the years I read a lot while waiting for new Dresden. Do you have anything interestimg to read on same genre?

Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series is very similar in genre, if you haven't got there yet.

If you're flexible enough on genre to look to some SF, The Expanse is really good. 7 books and 3 seasons of the TV adaptation so far.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 01:48:32 AM »

Yancy Lazarus and Hellequin is more like Dresden book 14 and 15. Action pact and has a lot of magic fights. If you want something more like the early Dresden with crime investigations and mysteries, try . the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronavitch.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:59:17 AM »
Hellequin seconded.

Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series is very similar in genre, if you haven't got there yet.

If you're flexible enough on genre to look to some SF, The Expanse is really good. 7 books and 3 seasons of the TV adaptation so far.
Verus seconded.  Expanse... I enjoyed the first book, the second not as much, and found the show to be more entertaining (I sometimes struggle with too many textual viewpoints/protagonists)

Yancy Lazarus and Hellequin is more like Dresden book 14 and 15. Action pact and has a lot of magic fights. If you want something more like the early Dresden with crime investigations and mysteries, try . the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronavitch.
Rivers of London seconded, although I haven't read the latest because the second to last felt like filler.

I'll also recommend the Mindspace series, although I think I've fallen behind.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 03:20:33 AM »
I'm about a third of the way through the latest Rivers of London book, and I'm liking it, so far.

I also recommend the Alex Verus series.

I put this in another thread.  I figured the end of December it would be difficult for Jim to get much done because of the Holidays.  I think around mid December it was announced that Jim had finished chapter 37 or 38.  So if we assume the last week of December slowed him down, then he's writing at a pretty good pace.  Jim has said that when conditions are right he can pump out 3 or 4 thousand words a day.  I think he may finish in the next thirty to forty days. (OK maybe sixty days)  However, a lot depends on the publishing process after that.  Theoretically the book could be in our hands within three and a half months after that (Changes came out that fast), but realistically six to twelve months, with nine months being the average is more likely.  I think we will get Peace Talks sometime in 2019, most likely late in the year.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:45:31 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 03:22:26 AM »
I love suggesting authors to people.  theses authors are ones that don't get very much buzz but are really good. 

Melissa F. Olson  writes the old world series...

John G. Hartness .    two difrent series. knight detective agencie . Buba monster hunters .
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 05:33:07 AM »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »
I'd rec Felix Caster, except you'll fall into the void of waiting years for book 6....

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 02:28:39 PM »
Try Kate Daniels from Ilona Andrews. The series is recently finished.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »

Just reread the Lord of the Rings, all three books, Sharpe's Prey by Bernard Cornwell, part of the Sharpe's Rifles series.   Currently reading Alan Turning, The Enigma by Andrew Hodges, it's his biography, very interesting insights into the man, but at the same time slow going because his advanced math theories are included...

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
From his faq:

http://www.jim-butcher.com/faq/upcoming-works

Think there is going to be an update on Monday (the 7th)? There were updates on the 27th, 17th, and 7th of December.

@lw007: By genre, do you mean urban fantasy, fantasy, or perhaps something else?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 01:04:47 AM »
Expanse... I enjoyed the first book, the second not as much, and found the show to be more entertaining (I sometimes struggle with too many textual viewpoints/protagonists)

I thought the show was / is actually a very close adaptation. But I guess TV as a medium covers switching between characters a little differently than text.