Author Topic: How many times has there been an intervention to Harry's death?  (Read 3264 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
How many times has there been an intervention to Harry's death?
« on: January 02, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
I was thinking this morning that Harry has actually been supposed to die but been brought back from the brink repeatedly.  Others in the story have taken notice after Ghost Story but it feels to me that there has been someone or something behind the scenes preventing his death (within the story. Not Jim ;) ).  Now it's been a long time since reading many of the books but just off the top of my head here are times Harry should have died.

Storm Front:  Morgan gives Harry CPR
Grave Peril: Michael gives Harry CPR
Grave Peril: Justine gives Harry CPR (although it was planned)
White Night: Lash sacrifices herself to save Harry
Death Masks:  Shiro sacrifices himself to save Harry from certain death from Nicodemus's curse
(Forgot the book): Marcone saves Dresden, and Gard tells Marcone Dresden was supposed to die.
Ghost Story: Mab (and others?) went to great effort to save Dresden from death.

These are the only ones I remember.  Please post other events where Harry was going to die but did not. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: How many times has there been an intervention to Harry's death?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 08:06:47 PM »
Marcone saved Harry in dead beat
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 10:39:07 PM »
I'm fairly certain it was Susan, not Justine who gave Harry CPR the second time in Grave Peril.

Murphy gave Harry CPR in Small Favor, I think. Harry returns the favor at Billy and Georgia's wedding reception.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 02:26:22 AM »

Thomas and Elaine pulling him out of Lake Michigan in White Night

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:17:09 AM »
Fool Moon - Marcone saves Harry from the Streetwolves leader Parker, who was about to bash Harry's head in.  I forget what Bob called the Streetwolves.  Lycanthra-something or other.  Not true werewolves, but people with the spirit of an animal within them, and super healing abilities.

Summer Knight - The gatekeeper intervenes on Harry's behalf before the Council to take up Mab's request, rather than letting the Merlin sell Harry out to the Red Court.
Lea saves Harry from Grum (who was really Summer Lady Aurora's henchman) by pretending she was a neighbor who heard a fight going on and called the police.
Elaine talks Aurora into not killing Harry and binds him with a spell she knows he can break.

Death Masks - Martin shoots Duke Ortega before Ortega could shoot Harry during their duel.

Blood Rites - Mavra's minions appear just when Lara was getting ready to shoot Harry, forcing Lara and Harry to work together.
Thomas pays Harry's bill to Kincaid.  (Though the threat from not paying Kincaid was not immediate, the eventual consequences would have been just as deadly as anything else mentioned here.) 

Dead Beat - Butters saves Harry from Quintas Cassius (A.K.A. Snake Boy)

Turn Coat - Morgan saves Harry from Peabody sticking a knife through Harry's eye.

Ghost Story - Bob saves Harry from; I don't remember what kind of ghosts they were, but they were trying to eat Harry.

Cold Days - Molly saves Harry from the pixie death squad.

Peace Talks - Hannah Ascher saves Harry from the Octo-Kongs.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:01:48 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 07:52:49 PM »
Fool Moon - They were called lycanthropes.

Ghost Story - They were called Lemurs. Sir Stuart pronounced it lay-moors.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
Murphy shooting the wolf that was going to kill Harry in Fool Moon.

Mab giving him the earring to hold Bonnie at bay so she doesn't kill him birthing herself.

Harry's protection via Susan stopping Lara from a (probably) fatal feeding.

Eb stepping up to take responsibility for Harry at his trial.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 11:19:49 PM »
I would say it is a safe bet that someone has pulled Harry's bacon from the frying pan at least once in every book.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline shadowgate

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote, Suuuuuuuper genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 02:14:13 PM »
How would you know about Peace talks the book hasn't been released yet? they just dropped the name in 2014 but still hasn't been released, i'm curious where you go this info from.

Fool Moon - Marcone saves Harry from the Streetwolves leader Parker, who was about to bash Harry's head in.  I forget what Bob called the Streetwolves.  Lycanthra-something or other.  Not true werewolves, but people with the spirit of an animal within them, and super healing abilities.

Summer Knight - The gatekeeper intervenes on Harry's behalf before the Council to take up Mab's request, rather than letting the Merlin sell Harry out to the Red Court.
Lea saves Harry from Grum (who was really Summer Lady Aurora's henchman) by pretending she was a neighbor who heard a fight going on and called the police.
Elaine talks Aurora into not killing Harry and binds him with a spell she knows he can break.

Death Masks - Martin shoots Duke Ortega before Ortega could shoot Harry during their duel.

Blood Rites - Mavra's minions appear just when Lara was getting ready to shoot Harry, forcing Lara and Harry to work together.
Thomas pays Harry's bill to Kincaid.  (Though the threat from not paying Kincaid was not immediate, the eventual consequences would have been just as deadly as anything else mentioned here.) 

Dead Beat - Butters saves Harry from Quintas Cassius (A.K.A. Snake Boy)

Turn Coat - Morgan saves Harry from Peabody sticking a knife through Harry's eye.

Ghost Story - Bob saves Harry from; I don't remember what kind of ghosts they were, but they were trying to eat Harry.

Cold Days - Molly saves Harry from the pixie death squad.

Peace Talks - Hannah Ascher saves Harry from the Octo-Kongs.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »
How would you know about Peace talks the book hasn't been released yet? they just dropped the name in 2014 but still hasn't been released, i'm curious where you go this info from.
That happened in Skin Game. Hannah Ascher is dead now. Probably. Ask Hades if you want to know for sure  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 06:41:03 PM »
Death Masks may set a record for saves.  Billy saves him from the ghoul assassin in Chapter 1.  He gets saved by the KOC twice, first by all three and then by Shiro.  Is almost drowned twice, and is saved first by Anna Valmont and then by Marcone.  He almost dies three times in the duel and is saved by Martin, Kincaid, and Thomas.  And I may have missed some.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 08:08:16 PM »
He is also saved by Shiro when Shiro takes the Judas curse. Isn't the ghoul assassin in Chapter 1 of Summer Knight? Is there another one in Death Masks?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »
That was how confused I got. :-[
You are correct.