Author Topic: Mirror Mirror Mania  (Read 6057 times)

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Mirror Mirror Mania
« on: December 31, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »
Hey everyone, figured I'd post instead of lurk, and I hope everyone's holidays are going well. While I want PT but MM is totally on my mind, and I think I just need to blah blah about it for a bit. Some of this might sounds familiar, but who knows-
So, I figured Mirror!Harry isn't gonna be a mustache-twirler. It just feels like this Mirror-verse shouldn't be totally awful, there should be some goodness in there to balance it out, and to prevent 'Darkness Induced Audience Apathy'. I heard about the divergence point in Grave Peril being near the end and the importance of the "I love you" line and that changes everything. My guess is is that instead of saying "I love you", it'll be "Take me instead". Because IIRC, Justine was in that scene with Harry and Susan. I'm not sure if I've seen this theory anywhere else, but I think that Susan will infect Harry with rampire-ness. That would make the dominoes fall in a completely different direction. Not sure how he'd survive if the first feeding is supposed to be fatal, but maybe his ghost-shenanigans had something to do with that. It could even effect his magic after he becomes infected. I don't want Mirror!Justine to be fridge'd.
Hm, I can see a few separate paths for Harry to take. Now, I'm not sure if the war would still be on, but Harry's relationship with the council would be different, maybe even to the point of breaking ties with. Which would put Eb in a tight spot and he'd still want to support Harry. Eb could introduce Harry to Simon Petrovitch, who was a stated vampire expert, to help Harry out. For those who think Simon is Cowl, this would be a great place for Harry to learn this. I keep picturing Harry in Russia. Course, that is pretty out there.
With the other characters, it's a bit easier to see where they could go. Guess I'll talk about Molly first. It'd be great if her life was more positive without Harry in it, ironically enough. I do like the idea of Warden Molly and I can't remember who posted it, but they thought that Morgan as Molly's mentor would make them an interesting pair of antagonists. It could work if Morgan met the Carpenter family through Harry, and Morgan would be the one to take an interest in Molly when she shows her wizard powers. This means Molly would never end up a warlock. This could be because Charity would never let an infected Harry in her house even as Michael would be doing his best to support Harry. Michael would try to set Harry up with the Fellowship of St. Giles via Father Forthill. I'm thinking another way to show that this could be different is with Michael's death. Not sure how it comes about, but should be different from the books.
So how Prime!Harry had a negative impact on Molly, he had a positive one for Thomas, but for Mirror!Harry it's the opposite. For the Mirror ones, Harry probably doesn't know that they are siblings, since Mirror!Thomas hasn't told Mirror!Harry due to how much Mirror!Harry hates vampires. A cool thing would be for Thomas to be the White King, he'd pick it so that he could protect an Inari who couldn't escape in time and becomes a full vampire. Not sure how Lara works into this, but this Thomas would be more confidant in himself and willing to play politics. Due to Harry not being emotionally available during SK, Murphy is in a rougher place, and won't get the chance to trust Harry. And we'll get to see a new side of Marcone, possibly because Mirror!Marcone and Mirror!Harry work together to keep Chicago running. It could be due to Harry finding a way to bring 'Persephone' out of her coma and this is what brings them to an agreement. This is another reason Mirror!Murphy doesn't trust Mirror!Harry. Mirror!Butters could still have a relationship with Mirror!Harry, but I like this idea of Butters being a bit of a mad scientist who learns about the supernatural through Harry.
As for eye patches, I don't think Harry will have one, but I think it'd be cool if it were Elaine instead. The plot of SK would still happen despite Harry not being there, so it's mostly Elaine as the hero of the day, and that she gets further entangled in the fae. It'd be fun if she were the new summer knight. I'm not sold on Harry being a baddie, but rather someone who had to become more pragmatic sooner. More comfortable in his skin. He's gotta be someone that Prime!Harry could see as having valid points and to see new/enhanced sides of himself so he can have some self reflection. So yeah, the two Harry's are gonna meet and talk. Hm, so I think that is the gist. Thoughts?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror Mirror Mania
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:12:04 AM »

Let's get though Peace Talks first...  Unless Jim is writing the two books at the same time, it might be five or six years before Mirror Mirror comes out....

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »
True, I just felt like I had to get this off my chest. I need a new Dresden book, like, yesterday.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
True, I just felt like I had to get this off my chest. I need a new Dresden book, like, yesterday.

Yeah, I understand.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »
Do you think you'll be excited for Mirror Mirror when Peace Talks comes out, or are we just over-hyping ourselves?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »
Do you think you'll be excited for Mirror Mirror when Peace Talks comes out, or are we just over-hyping ourselves?

Me fears over-hyping.... ::)    If it is stand alone as some are suggesting I will be very disappointed..
Stand alone is okay for a short story, but at this point in the series any book needs to move things
along.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 06:18:35 AM »
Yeah, I think we might be just a tad. Hm, I don't think it'll be a stand alone, since we're getting into the sorta home stretch. Pretty sure the things we find out in Mirror Mirror will serve as info that Harry couldn't otherwise get in "his" prime universe. Peace Talks will have some set up for future events and some payoffs too, I think. 

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »
Originally was going to state lets not get ahead of ourselves here but "Serious Analysis":

The gap, up until Peace Talks, was basically a year and sometimes a year and a smidge.
That's 15 books in under 15 years.  Jim is pretty much a machine.
He had some crap happened, it caused the giant hiccup, but...  if its all sorted out... we might get a return to that level of output.  And heck, I don't think we all expect that level of output but just not something every 5 years :)  Keeping my fingers crossed.
Skin Game came out May 27, 2014 and we might get Peace Talks by May 2019 and who knows, Mirror Mirror by May 2021?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 03:35:31 PM »
Originally was going to state lets not get ahead of ourselves here but "Serious Analysis":

The gap, up until Peace Talks, was basically a year and sometimes a year and a smidge.
That's 15 books in under 15 years.  Jim is pretty much a machine.
He had some crap happened, it caused the giant hiccup, but...  if its all sorted out... we might get a return to that level of output.  And heck, I don't think we all expect that level of output but just not something every 5 years :)  Keeping my fingers crossed.
Skin Game came out May 27, 2014 and we might get Peace Talks by May 2019 and who knows, Mirror Mirror by May 2021?

It is five years since Skin Game, and it came out two years after Cold Days, so things are beginning
to stretch out, he is also writing another major series and has all kinds of other commitments, plus yes, the man has a personal life... So I think it is a bit over optimistic to think we will see Mirror Mirror in 2021, we will be lucky I think if we get Peace Talks in 2019...

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 06:28:31 AM »
Oh, I don't mind the waiting that much, really, but I just get excited and build up scenarios for how things happen. It's a bit rare for me to get disappointed due to over-hype.
When we got the basic plot outline for Mirror Mirror, I was intrigued because diverging timelines and alternate realities can be so fun to explore.
I'm just glad he's got a less hectic time now, gotta be less stress for him. :) 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
Oh, I don't mind the waiting that much, really, but I just get excited and build up scenarios for how things happen. It's a bit rare for me to get disappointed due to over-hype.
When we got the basic plot outline for Mirror Mirror, I was intrigued because diverging timelines and alternate realities can be so fun to explore.
I'm just glad he's got a less hectic time now, gotta be less stress for him. :)

Oh I've been, especially when television series take way to long to open their new season.  It is
always hyped and it usually disappoints...  As far as Mirror goes, we are hyped because we remember the classic Trek episode and have jumped to all kinds of what ifs about Harry.  I think a
lot depends on context...  Given Harry's emotional mood in Christmas Eve., instead of Trek, which if
you remember was because of a transporter malfunction into parallel universe where everything except for perhaps Spock was the opposite of the one that Kirk and company lived in.  Given Harry's mood, I can see him at some point thinking it would have been better had he never existed and Uriel or even Mab, Lea, or Kringle showing him how bad it could be if he didn't, in the matter of It's a Wonderful Life..  So it won't be so much evil Harry, but Harry seeing the evil that he actually had a huge hand in stopping..  Thus a set up for him becoming comfortable with being a starborn and a leader in the BAT..

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
Yeah, the first show that comes to my mind is BBC Sherlock. Hm, honestly, I don't watch too much Trek, but that is one that I enjoy. :)
Hm...that's a really cool idea. Now, if that or something similar doesn't get used, I'll be a little disappointed.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
Yeah, the first show that comes to my mind is BBC Sherlock. Hm, honestly, I don't watch too much Trek, but that is one that I enjoy. :)
Hm...that's a really cool idea. Now, if that or something similar doesn't get used, I'll be a little disappointed.

Yeah, that was a good episode, didn't hurt that both the writing and the actors were first rate...  It walked a fine line between being a spoof of the classic Holms, and serious, with a very good take on the modern Holms, but then again the whole series did that.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »
I loved that series. Wished that it had more seasons.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »
I loved that series. Wished that it had more seasons.

Yeah, especially the last three about the sister he had blocked completely out of his mind.