Author Topic: Christmas Eve timing question  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Faithmage

• Participant
    • View Profile
Christmas Eve timing question
« on: December 29, 2018, 07:07:33 AM »
Mab says in the short story that  “Christmas falls within the realm of Winter, does it not?”
I don’t think it does.
Who controls the table switched at the solstices. In SK it switched to winter at midsummer (summer solstice) which is what lily was trying to prevent. Winter solstice would have been a day or two before, and that means summer has Christmas. .

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve timing question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:02:58 AM »
Mab says in the short story that  “Christmas falls within the realm of Winter, does it not?”
I don’t think it does.
Who controls the table switched at the solstices. In SK it switched to winter at midsummer (summer solstice) which is what lily was trying to prevent. Winter solstice would have been a day or two before, and that means summer has Christmas. .
As I see it the winter solstice is the height of winters power. After that winter becomes gradually less powerful but it takes time. The table is handled over but that is not everything.

The sledge, the fur, the North Pole and everything else make Christmas a winter festival just like the Easter bunny is about life and rebirth and so is very summer. Christmas is about survival in the cold, very winter.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
As I see it the winter solstice is the height of winters power. After that winter becomes gradually less powerful but it takes time. The table is handled over but that is not everything.

The sledge, the fur, the North Pole and everything else make Christmas a winter festival just like the Easter bunny is about life and rebirth and so is very summer. Christmas is about survival in the cold, very winter.
I would phrase it differently:
Easter is Summer saying 'look at us being more powerful than Winter, muahahaha!'
Christmas is Winter saying 'you may have the Table, but we're not going anywhere, cackle!'

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »

Then there are the Danes who love to celebrate Christmas Eve, Christmas in general because in the North winters are long and dark, celebrating Christmas brings light..  Maybe that is what Mab is trying to say?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 10:43:54 PM »
I don’t think it does.
Santa is a vassal of Winter. So, yeah, Winter, Christmas, ho, ho, ho.....  The table was important to Aurora because she wanted to destroy the balance by giving the power of the Summer Mantle to Winter.  Which would have happened if she had been able to kill Lily on the table since the Summer Solstice was past.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 04:35:47 AM »

Not for me  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 06:51:04 AM »
Not for me  :D
Shows what scripture does to you. If you had a more fluid oral tradition the celebrations would just have been moved to your winter.

And it would have made sense. The whole christian calendar is based on the seasons.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 06:55:12 AM »
You are right, but ey, for me Easter is the time of the chocolate, because it's coldish. And we had delicious ice creams for Christmas  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
You are right, but ey, for me Easter is the time of the chocolate, because it's coldish. And we had delicious ice creams for Christmas  :)

Hmmm, wonder if the Summer and Winter Courts take into account who lives north or south of the Equator?    Maybe the stone table turns? :o

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 12:35:39 PM »
Maybe the "Capitals" of winter and summer move around the Earth, always on opposite sides of the planet.  When winter is in the northern hemisphere, summer is in the southern.  When summer resides in the northern, Mab has to travel farther to reach Harry, spending more energy to keep the portals open.  When she comes to Chicago in the summer she is farther from her power.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 07:20:44 PM »
Yes, my mind canon is that one.
Maybe the "Capitals" of winter and summer move around the Earth, always on opposite sides of the planet.  When winter is in the northern hemisphere, summer is in the southern.  When summer resides in the northern, Mab has to travel farther to reach Harry, spending more energy to keep the portals open.  When she comes to Chicago in the summer she is farther from her power.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »

Yet as far as we know there is only one stone table...   Depending on the season Summer or Winter control, it seems to be divided into halves, but maybe it is really divided into quarters? 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 10:18:32 PM »
There is a WOJ on this.
Oh and changing over of the stone table from winter-summer/summer-winter , well there are two hemispheres, are there two tables?
One table, but it goes where it is called.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 11:09:24 PM »
Thanks!
Missing you, Md