Author Topic: Building a jedi knight of the faith  (Read 12797 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Building a jedi knight of the faith
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 04:45:05 PM »
Only a couple changes in your skill tree:  I swapped Discipline and Lore.

I left out Cassandra's Tears because Divination is the kind of thing that would fall under The Force (Soulfire) or Guide My Hand if it is to help someone or further the agenda of the Light Side.

Superb: conviction, weapons, lore
Great:discipline , athletics, investigation
Good: endurance, scholarship, alertness
Fair: rapport, contacts, empathy
Average: pressence, might, craftsmanship

-5 Sponsored Magic: Soul Fire (Light Side of The Force
-3 Refinement
-2 Righteousness
-1 Guide My hand
-1 Holy touch (probably unnecessary with Soulfire)
-1 The Sight

Sunts
-5 in random stunts.

18/20 refresh

Foci: X 10.  I haven't built a caster in ages so my numbers are probably all off.  I'm sure someone will correct my calculations.  In any case, this is just an example.  Essentially, you are making a crafter with Soulfire.  Since Jedi craft their own sabres with crystals and use crystals to attune to the force, I used that as the fluff for your items.

(Adegan: Pontite)Crystal necklace:  +2 Soulfire (Light-side Force) control (2 slots)
(Kasha)  Crystal ring:(2 slots)  +2 Soulfire (Light-Side Force)Power
Lightsabre Crafting tools(4 slots): +2 Frequency; +2 Power

Enchanted Items X4: (2 slots)

Light Sabre:
  Weapon 7 attack:  X3 uses
   Athletics: 7 X3 uses (fluff is that you cut through a wall or door and pass through).  It could be a Might skill check or Burglary too...depending on what kind of utility you want.
   Deflect Attack(Power 7 Block): X3

Mephite Crystal:  Power 7 Potion slot, usable X3 times

Essentially, you are a Crafter/spellcaster with The Light-side of the Force as your Sponsored Magic (soul-fire because it costs 5 instead of 4 refresh so it should give you the ability to down-grade toughness, which makes sense since lightsabres cut through everything).

Spell casting: Accuracy 6(or 7 with righteousness); Power 7

Your Rotes could use the typical tropes:
 Levitate (athletics skill replacement)
 Attack: use the force to telekinetically throw things - although, that might be under the purview of the Dark side (same as force lightning)
 Block: to deflect attacks and protect allies
 Jedi Mind Trick: Influence people by creating powerful maneuvers like: 'these are not the droids you're looking for'
 Veil:  creates a sound that distracts people and makes them look the other way so you can shut down the death star's shields

TL; DR
Jedi are essentially space wizards.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:59:32 PM by Taran »

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 06:40:08 PM »
......this works. Definitely gonna have to read up on soul fire but from your explanation, it actually works pretty well. Wow. This cuts through all of the bs and gets straight to the point and I love it. Thank you so much!

Also, does killing with an enchanted item break the laws of magic or no?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:04:03 PM by Ghostfreak »

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
you know between Darth bathrobe and your Jedi knight of the cross there is not much difference in star wars cannon as both sides are clear dunce heads cannot comprehend the balance means you need to have both sides of force learned to archive it not destroying the other side to archive it. that's why when Harry used Fuego with soulfire it worked since thanks to lash he was channeling the true balanced side of force around that time onwards.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 08:19:25 PM »
......this works. Definitely gonna have to read up on soul fire but from your explanation, it actually works pretty well. Wow. This cuts through all of the bs and gets straight to the point and I love it. Thank you so much!

Thanks.  Also, your light-sabre is, essentially, a regular sword  It's probably weapon 2 or 3. 

Yes, normally because it's magic but, in this case, it's Soulfire, so your Sponsor lets you skirt the laws.  But, that said, your character has to be in line with the Sponsor's agenda.  So, if you go around killing people with your light-sabre willy-nilly, you may find that you lose access to the Light Side.  In fact, story-wise, you might cross over to the dark side.  So, use all the rules for Hellfire but I'd replace the boost to fire with Lightning (Force Lightning).  And lets not forget that Wardens might start hunting you down.

Edit:  So what that means is you will need to have aspects that tie in to your powers and you will get compelled on those aspects.  Compelled to make sure you don't kill someone out of anger, always controlling your emotions to your detriment or whatever. 

You need one related to Righteousness for the purposes of spending Fate Points to gain the +1 to skills.  One for Guide My Hand and, you will need one related to the force(Soulfire).  Maybe 2, if you see your character more like Anakin and is drawn to the dark side.  But you could easily be a 'pacifist' in this game.  If you take someone out, you can dictate the take out conditions.  If some alien gets in your face, you can take him out by cutting his arm off(instead of cutting off his head).  Or use An attack spell to throw someone across the room, go through a wall and get knocked out.

I actually think it might be more fun to play it that way.  The 'tempted by the dark side' trope is kind of over-used.  (Harry Dresden, Darth Vader etc...etc...

Be more like Yoda!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:42:11 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 10:02:47 AM »

If you head over to the Law Talk thread, you can see plenty of discussion on that point.

Warden swords are definitely okay, though, so if you're asking specifically about the lightsaber it should be fine.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 04:45:00 PM »
Warden swords are definitely okay, though, so if you're asking specifically about the lightsaber it should be fine.
... ?
I thought that what made the Warden-swords "ok" to kill with was that -- as a tool for killing -- they're ... just swords.  Very finely-crafted, ultra sharp like they're fresh off the whetstone... but swords.  If you get stabbed somewhere fatal, they kill you; if you get stabbed somewhere non-fatal, they don't.  Are they written up in the DFRPG system with extra +StabbyKilly ?

As tools I think they are ultra-tough, harder to break than an ax or other heavyweight chopping-tools, etc.

But it's mostly their anti-magic that makes them fearsome to wizards.

Have I overlooked some  extra +StabbyKilly ?

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 05:03:48 PM »
Can you help me understand the math? Because I read that your foci should not be higher than your Lore and from the looks of it. The total is much higher than 5, unless I am misunderstanding something.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »
A focus gives you a bonus to power or control

A crafting focus gives you a bonus to crafting Power or Frequency. 

So, for casting spells, +2 power makes your conviction effectively two points higher for drawing power.

For crafting, Power makes your Lore effectely two points higher for the purpose of all your enchanted items.

When I get some time, I can do a more detailed(and accurate) tally of enchanted items

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 07:02:14 PM »
I would definitely like to see that as I felt its easier to jot all of this down in my notebook for ease of use.

Also what are the limits of what I can do with soulfire? Is there a resource of someone here who used it to great effect?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 07:43:09 PM »
Also what are the limits of what I can do with soulfire? Is there a resource of someone here who used it to great effect?

Soulfire works exactly how Thematic spellcasting(YS pg. 284) works - like Kemlerin Necromancy, Biomancy, Diobalism, Ectomancy etc..

Lets say you have Ectomancy.  You have access to all forms or Ritual Casting  and Channeling(Spirit)but the Narration and flavour of your casting involves ghost.

So, you could place a ward that does mental damage skinned as binding a ghost to guard the area and who manifests to intruders, scaring them to death.

Or you could use conjuration but only on Spirits and ghosts.  Divination but it takes the form of a seance where you ask ghosts for information.

Soulfire is the same way.  (Read sponsored magic on Page 287 and Soulfire on 292)

All your rituals and evocations will have to be in line with the Sponsor's agenda and the flavour of the spells will take a form related to the White God.  Or The Light Side of the Force.  A good idea is to read up on the Jedi Code:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code

And let that inform you on the kind of stuff you can do.  Ultimately, IMO, I think the Light Side and SoulFire are, essentially, the same.  Dresden Canon would imply it, based on Butters wielding a Sword as a lightsaber. 

I played a half-fomor who used soulfire...You might be interested in reading it to get ideas but that character's soulfire was much more 'holy-white-god' type magic.

https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,39379.0.html

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
... ?
I thought that what made the Warden-swords "ok" to kill with was that -- as a tool for killing -- they're ... just swords.  Very finely-crafted, ultra sharp like they're fresh off the whetstone... but swords.  If you get stabbed somewhere fatal, they kill you; if you get stabbed somewhere non-fatal, they don't.  Are they written up in the DFRPG system with extra +StabbyKilly ?

As tools I think they are ultra-tough, harder to break than an ax or other heavyweight chopping-tools, etc.

But it's mostly their anti-magic that makes them fearsome to wizards.

Have I overlooked some  extra +StabbyKilly ?

Yes. As explained on YS 303, Warden Swords are weapon 6 when you spend a "charge".

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 07:58:12 PM »
So math would the math look like this?

Sponsored magic: soulfire (grants 4 focus items)

Base focus items (4 slots)
+2 to offensive power
+2 to offensive control

Refinement (2) gain 4 focus item slots
Lightsaber crafting tools
+2 crafting frequency and +2 crafting strength( I've searched up and down the focus item and enchanted item section for power and all I saw was strength.)

Refinement (gain four enchanted item slots)
2 slots

Lightsaber
Mephite

Item creation math
Superb Lore:5
Crafting power: 2
For a total of : 7

Note: saw something in book 3 in regards of getting a +1 bonus to power or complexity when it comes to pure creation. I would like to know do I get the bonus for both or do I pick over the other?

Uses per session
Base: 1
Crafting frequency: 2
Total for 3 uses per session

Am I on the right track so far?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 05:31:48 PM »
So math would the math look like this?

Sponsored magic: soulfire (grants 4 focus items)

Base focus items (4 slots)
+2 to offensive power
+2 to offensive control

Refinement (2) gain 4 focus item slots
Lightsaber crafting tools

+2 crafting frequency and +2 crafting strength( I've searched up and down the focus item and enchanted item section for power and all I saw was strength.)
Yes, it's strength.  It's been a long time since I made a spellcaster and I'd forgotten the term.

Refinement (gain four enchanted item slots)
2 slots

Lightsaber
Mephite

Item creation math
Superb Lore:5
Crafting power: 2
For a total of : 7

Looks good.  You put all your spellcasting foci in to offense.  Which means casting blocks will be at your straight Conviction/discipline.  But you can probably rely on your enchanted items for defense.

You could have 4 different items - one for each slot or several effects in one item, if I remember correctly.

I'd save one slot for potions.  Potions are super useful in that you can use a declaration to have any type of potion you want.

The other thing you can do is reduce the amount of items you have (say you only want 2), you can use the other two as another focus or you can use 1 them to boost frequency of one item by 2 or use one to boost Strength by 1.

Note: saw something in book 3 in regards of getting a +1 bonus to power or complexity when it comes to pure creation. I would like to know do I get the bonus for both or do I pick over the other?

I don't know because it doesn't mention it in YS.   Remember that your Soulfire is reskinned as The Light Side of the Force.  If the creation theme fits, then talk it over with your GM.  It's a pretty narrow specialty.  I'd imagine creation has to do with birth and life and not 'fabricating' items or conjuring stuff.  Maybe along the of Immaculate Conception?

Uses per session
Base: 1
Crafting frequency: 2
Total for 3 uses per session
Am I on the right track so far?

Yes, it looks good.  Depending on how your DM tracks 'sessions', you may want to invest in more 'uses'.

What enchantments are you planning to put on your items?

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 12:36:22 AM »
What are my options when it comes to enchantments? Personally I've never done it before but if I had to I would invest in defensive/healing items, armor and if possible holy on my lightsaber. As my gm has a bad habit of using creatures that tend to hit beyond what the average person can defend/defend unless they spend alot of fate points to dodge.

But if you have suggestions I am open to them.