Author Topic: Building a jedi knight of the faith  (Read 12884 times)

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Building a jedi knight of the faith
« on: December 24, 2018, 12:13:30 AM »
So after 3 years my character in my dm's game has finally kicked the bucket. An I am now tasked with making a new characted. 19 refresh and 46 skill points. I am interested in building a modern day jedi knight of the cross whose faith is in the living force.

I would like some sound advice/opinions in this venture and a few examples of how faith abilities like the potent prayer in righteousness work exactly. An I want to know what would entail in being a wielder of the sword of faith?

Much thanks in advance!

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Building a jedi knight of the faith
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
you know its kinda ironic as the guy basically can create white council oil sheik in his tea break asks the forum to create himself a discount waldo butters with more jedi and less deadly doctor.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
To be honest I am not a fan of playing wizards or spellcasters of any nature. Unless I am forced to do so, which thankfully I am not. Not to mention I always wanted to play a kotc once I understood the system a bit better. Though due to the crappy faith powers they get in the book, it made them a bit less appealing to me.
Though the sword was the main selling point. If my dm is not close minded then I'd run some of the faith powers for him to see if I can use them or not.

Also wanted to know, in the book grave peril. When Kelly, one of the vampire twins touched Michael and her arm bust into flames. What is that considered? A conviction attack? A compel?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:54:22 PM by Ghostfreak »

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 07:05:48 PM »
To be honest I am not a fan of playing wizards or spellcasters of any nature. Unless I am forced to do so, which thankfully I am not. Not to mention I always wanted to play a kotc once I understood the system a bit better. Though due to the crappy faith powers they get in the book, it made them a bit less appealing to me.
Though the sword was the main selling point. If my dm is not close minded then I'd run some of the faith powers for him to see if I can use them or not.

Also wanted to know, in the book grave peril. When Kelly, one of the vampire twins touched Michael and her arm burst into flames. What is that considered? A conviction attack? A compel?
I think it was out an out holly burns evil plus a bit of true fatherly love kicked in as Micheal was I remember trying to protect Molly thus his knight power kicked in and hurt the vampire. and I think it was stealth compelling of several aspects on both of sides ( knight of the cross is certainly invoked in that book because Michael was on the clock thanks to Harry.)

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:05:32 AM »
well, Jedi need to be trained. Fortunately, you have a Jewish Knight of the Cross who can do so.

Both Waldo and your PC will believe that a Jedi needs and more importantly can make a lightsaber. Given the Swords can be rebuilt, there's no particular reason why Waldo's Sword shouldn't be able to bud off the components necessary for the PCs blade.

While the Faith powers are pretty weak, simply put Holy Touch and Righteousness into the blade gives you a 1pt weapon that is pretty hard core, since the mundane and holy abilities now stack.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
Very true indeed. Though I wonder, what would the complexity be to build/create a lightsaber if one were to use tehcnomancy and parts that are less likely to be hexed. Like ww2 parts or materials or something? I am curious.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 11:40:42 PM »
“I feel a disturbance in the Force.”  = Guide My Hand

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 02:42:15 AM »
I made sure to note down powers that would closely resemble influences of the force. Like guide my hand, cassandra's tears, still on the fence about psychometry though.

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 03:35:55 AM »
still on the fence about psychometry though.
give it is star wars canon that different Jedi have different powers, it would come down to individual PC design.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 04:17:19 PM »
Channeling= force lightning
Domination=“ these are not the droids you are looking for”. Or channeling mind magic. 
Stunt to deflect ranged attacks with your sword

Actually, you could do a lot with Sponored Magic: The Force

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 10:55:03 PM »
Hmmm, I never thought to use sponsored magic since its a huge refresh sink. It does have an appeal however.

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
Hmmm, I never thought to use sponsored magic since its a huge refresh sink. It does have an appeal, however.
ah hello they are basically knight of the cross of star wars verse with a small problem which they don't have a Micheal carpenter in their ranks before luke skywalker era. if you need proof look no more then butters he is basically someone who has too much faith in a force that becomes a knight of the cross.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »
In terms of skills and powers/stunts; this is what I have going on. If there is room for improvement then please share thoughts and opinions.

20 refresh
47 skill points, still capped at Superb. Cap will be raised at Fantastic once we make it to 50 skillpoints.

Superb: conviction, weapons, discipline
Great:lore, athletics, investigation
Good: endurance, scholarship, alertness
Fair: rapport, contacts, empathy
Average: pressence, might, craftsmanship

Powers/Stunts (5)
Guide my hand -1
Righteousness -2
Holy touch -1(not the canon power, the other one that works for weapons)
Wizard constitution -0
Cassandra's tears -0
The sight -1

(Dm does not want pc's to touch much less go near the swords of the cross, which I wished he'd told me much sooner rather than later. But what can do you?)

Stunts (5)

Warrior: +1 to weapons attack when using a bladed melee weapons.

Edge soul unity: +1 to weapons defense when using bladed melee weapons.

Opportunist: when tagging a consequence or maneuver you have inflicted on a target in a physical conflict, get +3 instead of 2. When tagging for a reroll, keep one of the best die rolls and reroll the rest.

Not easily broken: when an opponent tags or invokes a consequence or maneuver inflicted on you in a physical conflict; they only get a +1 instead of 2. If they choose to tag for a reroll, I can lock down one of their dice and leave them to reroll only 3.

My weapon makes me powerful: when in possession of a sword weapon you have crafted, gain +3 to discipline for mental defense.

Side note

My weapon makes me powerful, opportunist and not easily broken were stunts made in mind for people/creatures that would be much more powerful than me. An I despise have to deal with mental consequences as they take much longer to heal than physical consequences. An we are now coming against creatures who like to use incite emotion powers, so the padding from it is a huge help. Also to avoid being ganged up on by creatures who are able to inflict consequences quickly and tag for near impossible defense and to give me some level of power to survive.

Dm is not following Dresden's canon so there is some room for flexibility. An since I can't get a sword of the cross, I'll have to buy a sword or make my own following the process of the force imbued jedi katana. Which I found extremely interesting and flavorful.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
I like it, although with that discipline and conviction, that’s not how I’d go about it.  I’d go soulfire with crafting.   I’ll write something up today

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 05:15:41 AM »
In terms of skills and powers/stunts; this is what I have going on. If there is room for improvement then please share thoughts and opinions.

20 refresh
47 skill points, still capped at Superb. Cap will be raised at Fantastic once we make it to 50 skillpoints.

Superb: conviction, weapons, discipline
Great:lore, athletics, investigation
Good: endurance, scholarship, alertness
Fair: rapport, contacts, empathy
Average: pressence, might, craftsmanship

Looks like you've got two skill points left over.

Stunts (5)

Warrior: +1 to weapons attack when using a bladed melee weapons.

Edge soul unity: +1 to weapons defense when using bladed melee weapons.

Some GMs will let you take True Aim from the Sword of the Cross as a [-1] Power. Worth asking about, I think.

Actually, why not have a lightsaber as an Item of Power? If you can't have a Sword of the Cross, it's the next best thing.

As for the stunts, I think "bladed melee weapons" is rather broad. Even "swords" is a pretty easy condition to satisfy. That said, I'm pretty sure the "only +1" limitation on stunt bonuses is for attacks only. For defence rolls, I think you can have +2.

Opportunist: when tagging a consequence or maneuver you have inflicted on a target in a physical conflict, get +3 instead of 2. When tagging for a reroll, keep one of the best die rolls and reroll the rest.

Not easily broken: when an opponent tags or invokes a consequence or maneuver inflicted on you in a physical conflict; they only get a +1 instead of 2. If they choose to tag for a reroll, I can lock down one of their dice and leave them to reroll only 3.

Applying these to both maneuvers and consequences might be a bit broad. It's not really going to break anything, but I think it'd be better if they were each one or the other.

My weapon makes me powerful: when in possession of a sword weapon you have crafted, gain +3 to discipline for mental defense.

I'd limit this to +2. It's not exactly a hard condition to satisfy.

An we are now coming against creatures who like to use incite emotion powers, so the padding from it is a huge help. Also to avoid being ganged up on by creatures who are able to inflict consequences quickly and tag for near impossible defense and to give me some level of power to survive.

I think it would be reasonable to take Toughness, either physical or mental, with the flavour that God/the Force is protecting you.