Author Topic: Lineage in Dresden Files universe  (Read 3068 times)

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
Lineage in Dresden Files universe
« on: December 15, 2018, 05:48:09 PM »
I don't know if this had been discussed before, but imho in Dresden files universe, JB indicated that the (magically) significant events & its most important characters are somehow has tied to their lineages.

• The Knights & Swords connection. Michael Carpenter is Charlemagne's descendant, Shiro an Okinawan king & Sanya from Salahuddin.
  • Ebenezer/Margaret/Harry is also interesting, the parallel of the Harry's fate so far isn't far from his mother's & grandfather's, Fae bound & enforcer.
  • Not to mention Summer/Winter queens, or at least their mantles.[\li

So my guess is, Harry is one of Merlin's descendants. It's certainly no coincidence that the original Merlin was the only wizard in White Council's history that had temporary possession of the Sword and was the one who build the prison in the island as well as its first warden.

What do you think?

One I'm really curious is Mab's lineage, she mentioned in Cold Days that she was a mortal once.

Offline kbrizzle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Lineage in Dresden Files universe
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 06:35:09 AM »
I forget which book (perhaps TC), but Ebenezer tells Harry that the ancient notebooks in his study at Edinburgh contained the thoughts & writings of Master wizards stretching back to Merlin, implying that at least Eb’s magical lineage (not necessarily genetic) descends from the original Merlin.

Harry, having been apprenticed to Eb for a few years would also have learned magic in the style of the original Merlin (Harry uses Latin, which the OG Merlin made the official language of the White Council). Harry also seems to have a vague degree of familiarity with the magic Merlin used to create Demonreach when Bob plays him the film reel of its creation in CD.

FWIW, Eb also tells Harry that Merlin learnt magic from Odin (which explains why Odin is so familiar with the banefire at Demonreach in CD).

Regarding Mab - I think it means that she was like Sarissa - a Changeling who eventually chose her Fae side, but had spent significant time as a mortal. Given the cluebats about the relationship between Hecate and the Fae Courts, I would suspect Mab’s lineage would eventually go back to Hecate.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »

Correction, Harry uses a bastardization of Latin for his spells..  He has gotten better at his formal Latin, such as the Council uses, but he only made the effort to learn it after Molly became his apprentice, so
he could set an example and teach her.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 10:50:23 PM »
I forget which book (perhaps TC), but Ebenezer tells Harry that the ancient notebooks in his study at Edinburgh contained the thoughts & writings of Master wizards stretching back to Merlin, implying that at least Eb’s magical lineage (not necessarily genetic) descends from the original Merlin.

Harry, having been apprenticed to Eb for a few years would also have learned magic in the style of the original Merlin (Harry uses Latin, which the OG Merlin made the official language of the White Council). Harry also seems to have a vague degree of familiarity with the magic Merlin used to create Demonreach when Bob plays him the film reel of its creation in CD.

FWIW, Eb also tells Harry that Merlin learnt magic from Odin (which explains why Odin is so familiar with the banefire at Demonreach in CD).

Regarding Mab - I think it means that she was like Sarissa - a Changeling who eventually chose her Fae side, but had spent significant time as a mortal. Given the cluebats about the relationship between Hecate and the Fae Courts, I would suspect Mab’s lineage would eventually go back to Hecate.
i think that was turn coat, yeah that was also one of the factor why i think harry actually is blood related to original merlin, that their mentors were actually generations of family and the journals only passed to theirs.

on why harry got familiar feeling, that's probably a good guess, although i suspect it might have been the echo of his future, similar to the disturbance from the island days before the actual time those outsider & the ladies attacked.

yeah, most probably mab was a changeling, and probably her mortal parent was a significant figure. i sort of suspect that most if not all of faes are related to mother winter & summer myself, that it's more like the vampire & their spawns relationship, only mortals were also mixed in there. and the ones who are fit to be queens are women who have royal bloods, and the higher their station is, the more significant the lineage needs to be.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
Mab as a daughter of King Arthur by the Lady of the Lake? :)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
My preference is that someone, somewhere that has established there for a long time has there origin in the present story.  That is, there is a time travel event that gets them placed in the past.  Then they use their skills, abilities, connections to insert their way into power in an age long ago.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:41 PM »
What if Mab is Harry's daughter?  We know from WOJ that Harry will time travel at some point.  What if he goes back, has an affair with a fae woman, and conceives Mab?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 12:15:11 AM »
What if Mab is Harry's daughter?  We know from WOJ that Harry will time travel at some point.  What if he goes back, has an affair with a fae woman, and conceives Mab?
I have my doubts that JB would walk down that particular road. :)  Besides Harry needs more kids like he needs fleas.  How many books about the DVerse can JB write?

However I like Harry as Merlin.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 05:23:57 PM »
What if Mab is Harry's daughter?

Even I don't have time travel plots where Harry has sex with his own daughter, Mab.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »
Even I don't have time travel plots where Harry has sex with his own daughter, Mab.

I had forgotten about that.  :-X