Author Topic: Peace Talks Update  (Read 91680 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks Update
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »
Well, I supposed he had a Christmas' vacation.  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 03:30:27 AM »
I'd say June at the earliest for it to be finished. Still it's nice that Jims back on track.

Offline havelock

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 04:41:40 AM »
If anyone from Team Butcher happens across this thread, I'd like to say thank you.  As has been said any number of times, Jim doesn't have any obligation to his readers.  If he woke up tomorrow and decided he was done with Dresden, it would be a crying shame, but also his prerogative.  So, I don't think there was ever a need to explain the reasons for the delay with Peace Talks. 

That being said, a little communication goes a long way.  While there's no need to explain the "why", maintaining an active dialogue as you've recently started doing demonstrates substantially more goodwill towards and respect for readers than radio silence. 

I write this not to stir up residual frustrations on either side (though I'm sure there will be some of that.  Sorry,) but in hopes that if any delays arise in the future, you will remain communicative.  Even if the communication consists of "Day 7: stuff happened, no news. Day 30: still no news."  This, to me, is substantially better than "Day 1: stuff happened, no news...Day 328: *crickets*" 

Nothing is ever going to keep everyone happy, but I do think this type of communication might have mitigated the concerns of much of the reader base.  I know it would have in my case.  So, I say again, thank you for communicating clearly and regularly with us and I look forward to reading Peace Talks whenever Jim is able to get it out.   

Best regards,

HV

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 11:12:40 PM »
If anyone from Team Butcher happens across this thread, I'd like to say thank you.  As has been said any number of times, Jim doesn't have any obligation to his readers.  If he woke up tomorrow and decided he was done with Dresden, it would be a crying shame, but also his prerogative.  So, I don't think there was ever a need to explain the reasons for the delay with Peace Talks. 

That being said, a little communication goes a long way.  While there's no need to explain the "why", maintaining an active dialogue as you've recently started doing demonstrates substantially more goodwill towards and respect for readers than radio silence. 

I write this not to stir up residual frustrations on either side (though I'm sure there will be some of that.  Sorry,) but in hopes that if any delays arise in the future, you will remain communicative.  Even if the communication consists of "Day 7: stuff happened, no news. Day 30: still no news."  This, to me, is substantially better than "Day 1: stuff happened, no news...Day 328: *crickets*" 

Nothing is ever going to keep everyone happy, but I do think this type of communication might have mitigated the concerns of much of the reader base.  I know it would have in my case.  So, I say again, thank you for communicating clearly and regularly with us and I look forward to reading Peace Talks whenever Jim is able to get it out.   

Best regards,

HV

I too am very happy to see the semi regular progress updates and agree in theory with what you have said. 

Though I also understand when stuff happens in life posting that kind of a status may be one of the last things on someones mind.  For me it would probably have been even below the last thing on my mind.  It would have been. @#$#$ all this stuff is going on and I am not even getting work done.  I just need to get a little something done so I can let people know. Week later still unable to get work done #$@$@#$@#$ I just need to get a little something done so I can let people know. With each week just getting worse and worse on top of everything else.  Admitting I was getting nothing done would have been admitting ahead of time to myself that next week I would again get nothing done.

I do not know Jim (unfortunately as he sounds like he would be a fun person to know and might get me access as a beta reader :D )  so I have no idea what things were really like for him.  I am just going to hope the rest of his life is both long and good and that he enjoys writing so that he writes lots of things I can read.  If he ever stops writing oh well it will probably be better for my health to not stay up all night reading every time one of his new books comes out  anyway :)     

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 12:28:43 AM »
New update on the Website.  As of February 21st, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 45

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 01:07:33 AM »
Kinda shows our desperation that there are two update threads.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 12:34:26 PM »
Indeed  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
Kinda shows our desperation that there are two update threads.

It does but I figure it is good this is here in case someone thinking about starting the series who wants to make sure it is still being worked on checks in.  They would want to avoid a section called spoilers.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
Good point.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 04:54:31 PM »
As of March 7th, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 48.  Now if only we knew how many chapters it will be. :)

Offline BobbyWac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »
This is all my speculation, but based on the last few books and how much longer each has been than the previous I'd guess this is a 55-60 chapter book, and he seems to be working at a pace of about a chapter a week so we should only be a month or two from a finished draft.

Offline BobbyWac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 05:49:50 PM »
"As of April 1st, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 54, and that’s NOT an April Fool. Progress!  We don’t have a release date yet, but we’ll update this page, send out a newsletter, and tweet it to the high heavens the moment we do!"

My speculation is feeling pretty dead on..

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 08:01:26 PM »
As of April 4th, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 56.  No release date yet but the book has to be getting at least semi close to done. 

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »
So very excited about these updates
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline dark_sider1

• Conversationalist
  • Sometimes, it's just one of those days............
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 10:01:18 PM »
I saw this today and it excited me enough that I’ve started re-reading the books from Storm Front onwards... it’s fun watching a younger, naive Harry stumble his way through investigations and relationships!
Every now and again, you have to understand that some days, you are the pigeon, and other days, you are the statue.

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes