Author Topic: Something which irks me  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Tumbleweed_Biff

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Something which irks me
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:25:20 AM »
In almost all of the books Harry has to deal with losing his rod and staff, either or both. Or his pistol.

Why doesn't he put his rod and/or pistol on a lanyard? It would be so easy. Or spells in place to return them to his hand? In Changes, Ebeneezer summons the Blackstaff from wherever, why can't Harry?

And finally, the art work on Jim's own page has Harry wearing a hat, but he never wears one in the stories. Were I he I would have a hat and I would enchant it and my boots in the same manner as his coat.

What say you?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:11:37 AM by Tumbleweed_Biff »

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Something which irks me
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
More than half the bad things that happen to Harry in the books, especially the small, easily solved ones, is because he's an idiot.

As in, he chooses to do the dumb thing which sometimes also happens to be the good thing. But only sometimes.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »
The tie a rope to weapons thing has been brought up before in other fandoms. Supernatural the tv show had a break the fourth wall episode where a fan complained about it. By the end of the episode the were like 'he has a point' course doesn't change anything long term.

The hat is a not so in joke between Jim and the book artist.

Book artist was told Wizard PI so drew that, and then kept drawing the hat in part just to spite/joke with Jim.

Carries over to one of Jims other series where the main character always wears a hat, so the artist drew him without one.

Offline Helga Ozark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 07:15:05 AM »
Book artist was told Wizard PI so drew that, and then kept drawing the hat in part just to spite/joke with Jim.

In one of the short stories (Herot), Dresden ponders whether he should get a hat so that he could protect his tracking spell from the rain  :P

Carries over to one of Jims other series where the main character always wears a hat, so the artist drew him without one.
I'm assuming you're talking about Cinder Spires. It's been a while but I don't remember the main character wearing a hat, only goggles....because "steam punk"  ;)
Perhaps the purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
Oh yes, he carries a hat. I laughed when I've read it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)