Author Topic: Another Weird for the Weird folk  (Read 371355 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Another Weird for the Weird folk
« Reply #1560 on: April 09, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »
Hi !!!!

Maen everyone... Everything quiet on the eastern front.. How about you?

LOL! At first I read easter front!!!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: April 09, 2020, 09:34:49 PM »
Hi everyone! I wanted to tell you that Otlan says "hi". He is fine, working a lot (he works at a grocery store). There are relatively few cases in his town so hopefully he and his people will be fine. Ala is safe too, working a lot.

Well, I need to go to grocery store myself. It will be "adventurous". I had not left the house in days and this is the first coldish day I will be out. I need to take warm clothes. Well, be safe everyone! I will be back later.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 10, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
Greetings from sunshine! I had breakfast outside today. At the beginning of the week I had to scratch ice from the car's front window and now you can sit outside short sleeved.

How was your "adventure", Dina?

This week, I want to plant some seeds for vegetables. This time not in the ground, but in extra pots. Almost all my other vegetables have been destroyed by snails. I don't want to use poison or salt there. But even inside I'm not good with plants. They almost always die in my care. Once I even killed a cactus.  ;D
My mother wouldn't like me near her plants, when I was a kid. She said, you can water them and help me, but don't touch them too long, or they will die from your aura or something.
I hope this time I will succeed. If not, I will have to buy them again.

On Easter Sunday we will do barbecue. I will eat meat again, yeah! I did without meat and chocolate during fasting. The meat was easy, but the chocolate.... I admit I have sinned once or twice. That's why I chose two things, so that I succeed at one at least. LOL

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 10, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »
BBQ! Go you. :D
Had the problem with snails last year. Even the extra pots won't help, they'll climb inside. What you need is to make some sand piles, maybe a small bucket (2 kg or so) every 2 meters. Cover them with methomyl combined with molasses, they'll feed on it at night, and in the morning remove the dead ones. A pile will last for maybe 2 days. After the snails are gone you can dispose of the methomyl contaminated sand. Good luck :)
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 10, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »
@Fcrate. Thanks, but no, I don't want to kill them. I feel sorry for them. They just want to feed.
I'm going to put the pots on the terrace, far from any grass, where they don't go usually.
And I don't put poison anywhere, because it also poisons the cats and other animals. Also it rains a lot here, so there is a big chance, that the poison gets into the ground and our drink water.
And I can't buy anything I don't already have at home for gardening at the moment and possibly for the next few weeks, because the shops are closed for private people.
So I have to do with what I have here.
If I don't succeed, I have a neighbor with a greenhouse. She always has good vegetables and more than she can eat alone.
Next year I think I will construct a greenhouse too. Then I'm not so dependent on the weather and temperature outside.

We painted the stones today after the easter eggs. But only with water colour, because that's what we had here. I found some varnish. I will try to coat the stones with it, so maybe the colour stays. Wasn't bad. Better than on paper or the eggs. I never did that before. Was fun.

We were very lazy today. Lot of lying on blankets in the grass and enjoying the sun. The big kid and I did some reading.

By the way, I think I did a good Bob Ross impersonation on one of the stones. It was one we got two years ago from a quarry nearby. You can go there with tools and hack away some slate and sometimes you are lucky to find fossils. The small ones, like ammonites you are allowed to keep, but if you find big ones you have to give them to the museum. I painted one with the imprint of some animal's small poo. ;)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 10, 2020, 11:20:48 PM »
Hello everyone

My "adventure" went well, it was actually quite warm. I bought a powder for making a chocolate vulcan and I did it today. Delicious! It gave six small vulcans. We had two already with the coffee and the rest are in the fridge for dessert and tomorrow.

I only stay without eating meat Thursday, Friday and Saturday of the Holy Week. Sunday will be a day of meat and Easter egg. I am happy I found one.

The other day I made some cheese cookies that were delicious. We had them with the mate drink, which is the infusion we Argentinians love 🧉.

Apparently, in my country today is the day of the scientific researcher, so I am celebrating! (The day was set because it's the birthday of our first Nobel laureate in science, Bernardo Houssay). So I've been mostly lazy, not cleaning or anything.

About the snails, see if you can do "walls" with plastic bags or parafilm that can prevent the snails to reach the plants.

And I loved the painting!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:37:26 PM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline MacPhoenix

• Posty McPostington
  • I shall rise from the ashes of your verbal burns.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 17, 2020, 06:07:03 AM »
MAEN Everyone,

Is this the current Weird?
Anime & Cartoons; Adults make them, Adults can enjoy them. - me
The first draft is you telling yourself the story.--Terry Pratchett

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 17, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
It is!

I am so glad to see you back, MacP :)- How are you doing?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 17, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
Hello, everybody!
I hope you are all well or at least getting better if you're not.

I'm at home this week enjoying the great weather, though it hasn't rained for several weeks and the grass is turning brown. I'm sitting under the apple tree with lots of bees humming above.

BBQ was nice. We had beef, turkey and salmon with potatoes. And some tuna sausages, but they didn't taste of tuna at all.

Nobody in my family is ill. My uncle broke his hip and needed emergency surgery, but he is already out of my hospital and in a rehab hospital. We were sad, we were not allowed to visit, but I sent him a card, paintings from the kids and some sweets with the internal post system at work.

Most of the infected colleagues are fine again, even the elderly doctor who was in intensive care for a while. So I'm allowing myself to be relaxed and content.

And do a lot of reading of course ;). Still reading the new Rivers of London book. There is at least one other book, I'm planning to read before continuing with the DF audio books. I always need a break before Changes, because of the emotional impact. LOL

Offline MacPhoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 17, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
MAEN (((Dina)))!

I am doing good. I am in the third quarter of my first year of my Masters in Acupuncture and East Asian Medicine program. I have a 3.4gpa. My family and I are healthy, and it's finally starting to warm up here in Seattle, WA

How are you? Who's been around the paranet?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 17, 2020, 09:55:10 PM »
Regen, I am very happy to hear all that (except about your uncle, of course). We had a cold morning, but a lovely sunny day. I went for some groceries and it was pleasant. But not too much, as this week they decided that it is mandatory to have something covering your mouth-nose, being it a normal surgical mask or some home made thing. I hate that will all my soul and I actually feel that it is a bad idea now, as people wearing them touches their face more than ever and they have a false feeling, as if they were safe. Anyway, I have no choice.

MacP, is good to know that you and yours are well. Hubby and I are enjoying the quarantine a tad too much, as we love staying at home and, specially, not commuting. I am trying to write a paper with my colleagues and preparing classes (I did not begin them yet).

I hope now that you are going into the warm of Spring the coronavirus stops spreading in your countries.
Missing you, Md 

Offline MacPhoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 18, 2020, 12:23:28 AM »
I hope it's not bad in your country ether Dina. Thank You.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 18, 2020, 12:43:49 AM »
Thank you, Mac. So far it is not that bad but I am worried about Winter.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 19, 2020, 06:59:47 AM »
I tried explaining to my coworkers that I'm wearing a mask but not gloves because the number of times I would have to switch gloves to make it an effective way to stop spreading germs makes it a dumb idea, but I don't think they got it. I also have people complaining at me that I'm not wearing a mask when I don't, which doesn't really seem like it's any of their business, but oh well.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 19, 2020, 07:23:01 AM »
You are absolutely right, DC. And I believe wearing masks brings some problems of its own. For instance, people tends to take their hands to their face more often, to arrange the mask. And somehow they feel magically safer, so they forget other measures, like keeping their damn distance!
Missing you, Md