Author Topic: Another Weird for the Weird folk  (Read 371758 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Another Weird for the Weird folk
« Reply #1530 on: April 01, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
Never seen a cockroach? Awesome. Those are a plague here (not as much as in my building)

Once upon a time, I dropped a Coca Cola bottle, it opened violently and there was Coke everywhere. I had to paint the kitchen ceiling.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 01, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »
Only on TV. I believe they don't exist here. We only have midges, ants and wasps as insects that get into your home. Apart from the occasional spider or fly.

Sometimes we have wasp or hornets nests in a roller shutter case (not sure if that's the right words: you roll the thing down to shut the window for the night, so no light gets in).

Edit:
OK, I was wrong. I thought maybe they were extinct or something. But here they are:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cockroach

But I have never seen any.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 02:32:22 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 01, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
Sorry for the second post. I couldn't edit this into the first one.
This is the birthday cake. We received several videos or audios for her birthday.
I hope I am able to get the picture in.
It's a cheese cake.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 02:59:36 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 01, 2020, 04:00:03 PM »
About cockrachaes, ok, you should be announcing that as a selling point to tourism there. I mean, our hotels don't have cockroaches either, they are very insistent with pest extermination but depending to conditions there are more or less common in the houses. For instance, when I lived with my parents in a house, we occasionally saw some cockraches in the patio or around the sewers from the garden, but nothing else. There were not really a problem. And when this building was new, there were very few cockroaches. But now, there are many. All the appartments have the problem now. At least, they are not too big. Instead, my late grand aunt, who lived in a house in the suburbia, had really awful big cockroaches.

The cake looks wonderful! And I like cheese cakes so I am sure is very yummy too  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 01, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
Nice cake Regen... I keep on imagining eating your cakes people that I'm starting to get fat again.
About cockroaches, it's mostly a city problem. In the country side there might be a few but they don't come into houses that often.
@Morris: Boric acid? I use that for eye infections in cattle and sheep sometimes. Never heard it'd do well against cockroaches.
About ants and other insects: Some gasoline around windows and doors is enough to keep them at bay.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 01, 2020, 06:29:14 PM »
It's fairly old as a pesticide.  I don't know about efficacy. Well the Wikipedia says...

Quote from: Wikipedia
Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects. The product is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants. It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism, and the dry powder is abrasive to the insects' exoskeletons.[40][41][42] Boric acid also has the reputation as "the gift that keeps on killing" in that cockroaches that cross over lightly dusted areas do not die immediately, but that the effect is like shards of glass cutting them apart. This often allows a roach to go back to the nest where it soon dies. Cockroaches, being cannibalistic, eat others killed by contact or consumption of boric acid, consuming the powder trapped in the dead roach and killing them, too.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 01, 2020, 08:14:49 PM »
Sounds cruel. But I think all pesticides are brutal.
We use baking soda against ants. That's cruel too.
Gasoline? Doesn't that smell bad?

We have flyscreen on some windows and the terrace door, so that we can leave them open in summer. You need them, when there are lots of cows or pigs in the neighbourhood. Otherwise the whole house gets full of flies.

But yes, no cockroaches. Maybe advertise for tourists, but there is not much tourism here. There is not much to see here. Mostly industries.
Maybe the old monastery with nuns still living there. OK, there are several old monasteries to see. Some places where you still see traces of the Romans. Some cities with old city walls, that are mostly still intact, from the middle ages. There are lots of breweries, if you're interested in beer. Everything cockroach-free.
How am I doing with the advertising? LOL

Today we drove to the river by bike. The little one, who is not so little anymore, wanted that for her birthday. It was her first "tour" driving by herself. It was nice. We collected lots of river stones in different colours. Sometimes you can't get onto the stone banks, but today there was a way down to a big one. It was only a small jump down onto the bank. It was fun. But cold.
At home the water for the cat outside was still frozen at noon.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 01, 2020, 08:40:47 PM »
Yes, it sounds awfully cruel but at this point I don't care too much.

And yes, you are very good at advertising, I really wish I could go visit your area  :)

Ok, Fcrate, I'll try not to speak of cakes for a while.

Today I did quite a lot of work, I am tired but well, at least I don't feel so lazy. And I don't have to go out as we have enough groceries, so at least I could be in comfortable clothes all day.
Missing you, Md 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 02, 2020, 02:45:13 AM »
Roaches had the misfortune to evolve along with us. I have a non aggression pact with them, until they cross my property line.

If your children like rocks they might enjoy the river where I live, the Ohio.  It has a large fossil bed exposed at low water, quite extensive.  A look into the past.  At high water the rapids pound the rocks.  It sounds like giants, beating on drums.  You feel it in your chest. Today there are extensive bike paths along the river and a large park over an area where heavy industry once existed.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 02, 2020, 06:35:28 AM »
That sounds beautiful...and soothing for the current times.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: April 02, 2020, 07:37:10 AM »

If your children like rocks they might enjoy the river where I live, the Ohio.  It has a large fossil bed exposed at low water, quite extensive.  A look into the past.  At high water the rapids pound the rocks.  It sounds like giants, beating on drums.  You feel it in your chest. Today there are extensive bike paths along the river and a large park over an area where heavy industry once existed.

Hey, you are good at advertising, too. ;)
I would love to see the Ohio. I'm very interested in fossils.
There are lots of places in the US that I'm interested in. Maybe when the kids are out of school, we could take our vacation for several weeks outside the school holidays.

We are planning to paint on some of the grey river stones. I found one that looks like a shark's head with open mouth. And a heart shaped one. Usually they all have more or less round or oval shapes. The ones you can carry at least.
The ones with several colours we leave as they are.
There are black ones with white streaks, rosé ones, shiny white ones, green and white ones, red ones with white streaks and so on. I collected them as a kid. The green and white ones I called Zucchini stones, because they looked exactly like one kind of zucchini my grandmother had in her garden. LOL

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 02, 2020, 07:51:04 AM »
LOL, sounds so great. Where are you, Regen? (General area, I don't mean details)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 02, 2020, 08:02:39 AM »
I live near the river Lech.  :) About 15 minutes walking distance.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 02, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »
Sounds lovely.
I hope everyone is doing well. I have a more or less quiet workday (yesterday I was busier) so I am enjoying it. 
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 03, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
Hello, everybody. How are you?

I made my own mask. I think, I'll add a hat, go to the bank, and see what they will do. Just kidding.
I found the old scarf with the pentagrams. Usually I use the scarfs to keep the hair out of my face while working in the garden.
I think soon we will have to wear masks when going near people, for example to the supermarket or in busses or trains and so on. They don't say that, but I think they are just waiting for the production of masks for everyone to be sufficient, and then we will be obliged to wear them.

I'm fine. I have worked in the garden today. Cut some bushes, especially the one we want to decorate with easter eggs. Shot some pictures of flowers and bees.

The weather is great. Lot of sunshine, birds singing, bees humming, 19°C.
Yesterday evening I think I saw a fox in the garden, but I'm not sure. Usually you don't see them much around humans, but now some animals come here, because there are not so many humans around anymore.
Could have been a really big weasel though. There was one there last year. The neighbours think, it ate their baby cats. They saw footprints.
Have to watch over Bella, though she can be really mean to other predators. But she is not very tall or muscular. Only impresses with her awful voice. Made all the big fat tom-cats disappear from our ground. LOL