Author Topic: Another Weird for the Weird folk  (Read 370257 times)

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Another Weird for the Weird folk
« Reply #1485 on: March 21, 2020, 12:26:50 AM »
Just checking in to see how everyone's doing. Our schools all closed so I have to teach online until May 1st.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 21, 2020, 12:29:02 AM »
CHIRO!!!! 

*jumps in joy*

I'VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!!! TRY TO FIND A WAY TO CONTACT YOU BUT COULDN'T (I don't use social networks)  :) :) :) :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #1487 on: March 21, 2020, 12:29:59 AM »
I didn't realize the forum was still around until recently.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 21, 2020, 12:34:04 AM »
How have you been?

I can tell you Chiana, Ren and PD are doing well. Same as Mira and, until a while ago at least, DC.

I am doing well. My country started full quarantine since today. Hubby and I are home officing (I went to the university on Wednesday to do some things, but that was all). Our classes were supposed to began on March 17 at the university. That was cancelled until April 13th. Then we will probably have virtual classes, so we are beginning to train with that, as most of us are ignorant.

What tool do you use for your classes?

Edited: Dinner time!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:47:42 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #1489 on: March 21, 2020, 12:59:42 AM »
I've been using Google Classroom to post assignments, and trying to find virtual labs.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 21, 2020, 04:28:49 AM »
Thank you, of my friends is doing the same.
I had a scientific meeting in Colombia, Chiro, but it was cancelled to the COVID
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: March 21, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
Just checking in to see how everyone's doing. Our schools all closed so I have to teach online until May 1st.

Hello, Chiro.
Are you a teacher at school? What do you teach?
Our schools are closed until April 19th. What's after that, we don't know yet.
In elementary school the teachers prepared homework for several weeks in sheets and school books.
The schools for the older kids have a server which is usually only used when the teacher is ill(one! teacher) or for additional homework. It is usually not for replacing every teacher's lessons at the same time for weeks. For every school has data space of only some 80MB +/-. So not really suited for home schooling.
Don't know how they do it. Maybe e-mail.
My cousin's kids have a lot of paper work to do. They are on a grammar school in town.

My husband just realized, that he has access on the weekend, so he can work his hours and doesn't have to start work at 4 am every weekday. He said, he'd never have thought he would ever be glad, that he could work on weekends.  ;D
Makes me glad, too. Because I have to get up at 4:45 am. So I wouldn't be happy to hear his alarmclock at 3:45 am.
Sleep is sacred! Do it as much as you can. Oh holy sleep, I worship thee.

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: March 21, 2020, 12:16:57 PM »
I didn't realize the forum was still around until recently.

Hi Chiro, guess who else is back.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: March 21, 2020, 06:40:14 PM »
Hello everyone!

Otlan has finally answered my mail. He and his family are alright.

Regen, one of my friends (besides Chiro) is using Google Classroom because is easier for him to organize sending homework, activities, quizzes to his students and their results are sent back to him. I still don't know what we are going to do, but it may be exciting to learn new skills.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #1494 on: March 22, 2020, 12:30:45 AM »
I teach biology, computer science, and robotics, and I'm usually as hands on as I can be, so it's a shift trying to do it online. I've been experimenting with video options, too, so I can still talk to my classes. I've tried some video white boards and slide presentations, and Google Meet.

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: March 22, 2020, 01:32:08 AM »
Chiro! Good to see you!

Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: March 22, 2020, 03:12:02 AM »
Hi Regen, exactly the same happened here. Too many people going to the beach (in other cities, Buenos Aires has a river but not beach) or gathering at the parks, for instance. And then, a few special stupid cases.
1) a man (let's call him A)  in a province received word of an ex-flame (B)  who basically wanted to cheat on her husband with A. B lived in another province, and the two of them met at her house. Then B told A that she has arrived from Spain a few days ago...and that she was feeling a little ill. A did not care and they do..well, all. But then is when it gets crazy. A decided to get back to his province, where his friends invited him to a bbq party. He went and jokingly commented about his "adventure". People reacted logically, denounced it to the authorities and the whole town (aprox. 2500 people) went in quarantine since a few days ago. Now A and B are confirmed positive to COVID.

2) an Argentinian man in Uruguay was in observation for Covid, in a hospital. He escaped and took a boat (around 400 people) back home. The Uruguays discovered that he escaped and warned our authorities before the boat arrived here. So now the 400 people are in quarantine here (they allowed them to arrive and isolated them in several hotels specially for them)
To quote the late great Spongebob Squarepants, that is...advanced stupid.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 22, 2020, 04:15:33 AM »
Hello everyone! Hi SHS and DC!!

To quote the late great Spongebob Squarepants, that is...advanced stupid.

Yes. We have another one. A young man arrived from USA jn March 13, just around the time our gov. dictated the order that all people arriving from there needed to do a 14-day quarantine. He disobeyed and next day he went to a birthday (from a 15 years old girl). Now he is on ICU and around 150 people are in observation because of him.

I went out for some groceries today and I am happy to say there were not too many people around. It seems that we are beginning to pay attention. This is not going so well yet (we had many cases today, more than double than yesterday. But yesterday has been a relatively good day)
Missing you, Md 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:56 PM »
Hey, everyone, Good Maen. I hear there will be two books this year. Stunned. Kentucky is under a "stay at home." I still do Pokemon go; now, I call it exercise.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 24, 2020, 10:58:36 PM »
Hello everyone!

Yes, two books this year will be great!

I do Pokemon Go from home (very little) and when I go to buy groceries (not everyday. For example, today I stayed at home). Besides the quarantine, today is a National day-off so I decided not to do any work. Instead, I did a lemon pudding, watch "Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears"*, took a long bath and relaxed. Tomorrow I will begin reading and preparing things, so working. We can buy groceries online but not everything what you want is available that way, so sometimes I leave. Tomorrow I will probably get out, so it will be time for pokemon go. Oh, today they arrest a young man who was outside just playing pokemon.

*I am a fan of the show "Miss Fisher's murder mysteries". I have it on Netflix but it finished several years ago, after a 3 seasons. I've missed it since then, so as soon as I heard that the movie was going to be released yesterday in Acorn TV I began a 7-day free trial. The movie is not as good as the show but it was still good to see the characters again. It was fun.

Missing you, Md