Author Topic: Another Weird for the Weird folk  (Read 371649 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Another Weird for the Weird folk
« Reply #1470 on: March 17, 2020, 04:12:01 AM »
Yes, you are right in that, DC.
How are you?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: March 17, 2020, 11:07:20 PM »
Maen all! Made some Hawawshi tonight (Empanadas for you, Dina) :D
Also baked some pie with dates seasoned with just a bit of cardamom..
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: March 18, 2020, 12:31:46 AM »
Yum! I had one empanada for lunch today.
Well, it has been suggested that everyone than can do work from home. Starting tomorrow, hubby will start home office. I did not go yesterday and today but I will go tomorrow, because there are some things I need to do physically but the next days I will probably stay at home. Next Monday and Tuesday were already days off, but the governement took measures so this time it is not a touristic weekend but people stays at home.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: March 19, 2020, 05:23:57 PM »
Yummy.
On Tuesday some colleagues and I decided to order sushi. They have warm food, too. And the sushi is really good for take away. Usually I only order when working the night and we only order if there are at least 3 people wanting to. And they don't deliver that far, so we could never order from home. So I was looking forward to it. Yummy yummy sushi!
The plan was to eat my lunch early, then to order the sushi and take it home to the family, so I wouldn't have to cook something else.
But most colleagues suddenly didn't want to order any more. Not sure why. One didn't have enough money. The other had lots to eat with her though she knew that we wanted to order. Maybe they were afraid that the hospital wouldn't let the delivery guy in. But we had planned anyway to tell him to call when he is there and send someone out.

So I didn't have sushi.
But I have everything I need for making pizza. Maybe tomorrow.
Today I'm exhausted from all the garden work and the cleaning of our garden chairs. I want to cook something fast. Maybe some Spätzle with sauce and salad.

And I started to read Der satanarcheolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch by Michael Ende to the kids. They liked it, of course.
When my oldest is done with Harry Potter, I've recommended Neverending Story to her. That's cool with the red and green print. Red for the real world and green for Phantasien.

The kid is always interested in what I read, and I have to tell her what my book is about. She wants to read the DF someday, but I told her, she would have to learn English first, because I don't have them in German.
A friend of mine that I infected with the DF ***(MUAHAHA!!!!!)*** has finally decided to buy Summer Knight. In German it's called "Feenzorn", which translates into " the wrath of the fae". The translation seems ok, otherwise she would not read it. And I amuse myself by throwing spoiler free funny passages at her as teaser.
I would be interested to read one of the translations some time. But she has them on the kindle, so that's not possible. Maybe one day I'll buy one.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:49 PM »
Sorry about the sushi. I hope you can have it soon.

I hope to post again later, now trying to focus in what I am doing from my job (from home)
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: March 19, 2020, 10:08:38 PM »
Drops in to say "hi!"

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
*Says hello without hugging because social distancing*

Glad you are all right!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 19, 2020, 11:11:24 PM »
Maen all!
@Dina: Sounds like a personality disorder :P I have to confess I'm very careless in that regard. Met a friend that I haven't seen for almost a year, so hugs and cheek kisses. I did wash my hands and face afterwards though.
@Regen: Blessed Pizza! The most holy of baking rituals, I do hope you make the dough yourself :D
And hello Pilgrims!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: March 19, 2020, 11:58:04 PM »
What sounds like a personality disorder?
We Argentinians normally do the same to greet friends, but now we are being much more careful.
Apparently, full quarantine will be announced starting tonight and until March 31. That makes me awfully sad. (Waiting for official confirmation, perhaps it will start tomorrow night instead of tonight)

Edit: Well, it starts tonight at midnight.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:29:07 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 20, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »
Bad luck Dina, but harsh measures must be taken to ensure safety. I think we're to follow. Right now they've shut down public bathrooms and coffee shops, Limited Friday prayer time and urged people not to move around in the streets too much. It's not official except in one part of Alexandria.
And I meant that "Social distancing" sounds like a personality disorder. :D

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: March 20, 2020, 03:53:11 PM »
Hey all!
Update: Our quarantine starts tonight. Because there were still too many people not taking it seriously enough. So no more "it would be nice if you stayed at home" but now more a "stay at home, or else...".
Thank God my husband is now able to do home office. His firm has established a strict time frame in which the groups have to work in shifts, because the server is not made for everyone doing home office at the same time. Today is his first day working at home. ;)
His hours are good for the family schedule, because he works either when the kids are still sleeping or when I come home from the hospital.

And I'm so proud of my little daughter. She finally managed to drive her bike. I hope tomorrow will be at least a little bit sunny, so she can try again. The last two days were nice and warm. Up to 20°C and sunny. Lots of birds singing spring flowers opening, ants walking into my socks  ;D  and bugs flying into my face while driving my bike. LOL

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 20, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »
Hi Regen, exactly the same happened here. Too many people going to the beach (in other cities, Buenos Aires has a river but not beach) or gathering at the parks, for instance. And then, a few special stupid cases.
1) a man (let's call him A)  in a province received word of an ex-flame (B)  who basically wanted to cheat on her husband with A. B lived in another province, and the two of them met at her house. Then B told A that she has arrived from Spain a few days ago...and that she was feeling a little ill. A did not care and they do..well, all. But then is when it gets crazy. A decided to get back to his province, where his friends invited him to a bbq party. He went and jokingly commented about his "adventure". People reacted logically, denounced it to the authorities and the whole town (aprox. 2500 people) went in quarantine since a few days ago. Now A and B are confirmed positive to COVID.

2) an Argentinian man in Uruguay was in observation for Covid, in a hospital. He escaped and took a boat (around 400 people) back home. The Uruguays discovered that he escaped and warned our authorities before the boat arrived here. So now the 400 people are in quarantine here (they allowed them to arrive and isolated them in several hotels specially for them)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 20, 2020, 09:11:22 PM »
Unfortunately stupidity seems to be in human nature.
 :(

I made pizza today. Now I'm very sated. There is enough left for tomorrow. Yummy. And yes, Fcrate, I make the dough myself.

I don't mind staying home. I have lots of books. There is enough to do. Even for the kids. That's no problem. We won't get bored. I will go to work, he will do home office. The kids will stay at home.
 But I feel with the small enterprises, my brother in-law's little lab, the local bookstore, the little stationary shop, the little coffee shop,... They all had to close.
I hope they survive. Some may have invested in online shops. When they are open again, I will got inte every one in the main village and buy something, even if I don't need it. And convince others to do so as well.

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: March 20, 2020, 10:13:36 PM »
Imagine working for a restaurant that has to close for a month. You're screwed, employment wise, even if you're the owner.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 20, 2020, 10:59:13 PM »
Yes, of course this will be terrible for the economy, specially for small stores.
I am surprised to say that McDonald's and other similar places here have closed (not even take-away. Definitely close). I think that is good but I hope their employees have not salary restrictions.
The gov. have announced that they will help many business to pay salaries but I am not sure about implementation though.

Regen, that sounds so great. I've managed to do some work today but this weekend (which was a long weekend long before the crisis) I will try to just rest.
Missing you, Md