Author Topic: Another Weird for the Weird folk  (Read 371853 times)

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Re: Another Weird for the Weird folk
« Reply #1080 on: October 17, 2019, 11:43:42 PM »
Tired, but still kicking. And yourself?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 17, 2019, 11:55:20 PM »
I am doing well. I went to a high school for my class about DNA. Also, I am increasingly nervous for two things: Next Tuesday my football (soccer) team has a match with its historical rival to see which of them goes to the final of the Libertadores Cup (best tournament in South America). And the most important thing: On Sunday 27 is Election Day here.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 17, 2019, 11:58:48 PM »
Ahh, I hope your team does well then. We also have elections coming up, but for us it's november 5th. I will be working that day though.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 18, 2019, 12:02:32 AM »
It is always weird for me that your elections are in a week day. We always have them on Sunday (remember elections are mandatory here, though)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 18, 2019, 12:06:15 AM »
Eh, I've never really looked at the logic behind it all. It feels like asking why a child feels the need to draw on the wall. I didn't know about the mandatory part actually. Considering some of the socio-political papers on research I've read that does interest me a little, but that perhaps isn't this best conversation for the boards.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 18, 2019, 12:09:50 AM »
Well, it is not forbidden to talk politics in general. I won't tell you what candidate I support or any specifics. But yes, elections are mandatory in my country, since forever. There is supposed to be a fee to pay if you don't vote, but to be honest, people that really chose not to vote seldom has any problem. But most people goes to vote anyway (vote in blank is the option for those not really interested)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 18, 2019, 12:14:35 AM »
God, I would have to look it up to remember where I saw it, but basically there was a paper I read that went over a study into the numbers game part of voting vs. the social constructs that surround it. Like at one point, I believe it was one of the Scandinavian countries that did it, they sent out a voting card to every citizen in the mail basically. To make it easier to vote, you don't even have to go to the polls. And the number of people who voted actually went down. It came down to what mattered more was the social construct around voting than how easy or hard it was to do.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 18, 2019, 12:19:54 AM »
Probably. We like to go voting. The vote is mandatory for adults under 70 years old. Older people can choose, and many go anyway.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 18, 2019, 12:24:03 AM »
*shrug* I'm not good at social constructs, just not wired for them. Observing them can be amusing however.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 18, 2019, 12:29:32 AM »
It is fine. I wonder sometimes if we like going to vote because we couldn't do that for years, while under dictatorships. I should read about the % of concurrence to vote before and after the last dictatorship, at least.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 18, 2019, 12:33:50 AM »
Could be interesting, and that does make sense.

How's everything on the boards been?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 18, 2019, 12:45:49 AM »
Well, there has not been a lot of movement. I know Snow and Ala are doing well but they have not been here in a while.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 18, 2019, 12:50:55 AM »
That's good that they are doing well, it's a shame about things being slow but that can be life sometimes unfortunately. I'll probably be on more-ish, I finally have a laptop again. *shrug*

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 18, 2019, 12:53:48 AM »
Yay!! Glad to hear about your laptop

Missing you, Md 

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 18, 2019, 12:58:41 AM »
Did you see the Wendy's RPG promotion that happened recently?