Author Topic: Another Weird for the Weird folk  (Read 366777 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Another Weird for the Weird folk
« Reply #1005 on: October 02, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
Maen! How are you, everybody?
I finally have the time to visit the forum again. There've been soooooo many posts since last time, I couldn't follow everything. Somewhere I lost track.
And I believe my brain isn't functioning well enough yet. I had to work 4 nights for a colleague who called in sick.
And now I have a sore throat and feel the lack of sleep. But at least I have the rest of the week off.
Outside it's raining for days, but it's not cold.
I just watched the music link. Liked the song. Then I checked out all of our old CD's and listened to Uriah Heep (The Wizard  ;D ) and other songs from the 1960s and 1970s. Maybe the sore throat comes from singing along...  :-X

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 02, 2019, 11:36:00 PM »
Hey Regen! Looks like you had lots of fun (and work). Myself I went hunting a couple of times, the season is just beginning, and we managed to shoot a few moor hens, a couple of ducks and one pheasant. So it's bbq time this weekend :D
^psssst: bbq does wonders for a sore throat.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 03, 2019, 12:02:16 AM »
Hi Regen! Sorry about the excess of work and the sore throat, but I hope you have a lot of rest in your long weekend. Yesterday it rained here too but today was fine.

Again, sorry about the 4 nights of working. I was wondering what is your work? (Of course, if you want to share. Perhaps you already did but I forgot  :-[)

Fcrate, well, enjoy your bbq then  :D

Next week, I am going to travel to another city, Mendoza, who is near the Andes, I am looking forward to a change of scenery.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 03, 2019, 10:15:59 AM »
Fcrate, BBQ sounds yummy. I'll see if I can find some chicken for soup.

Dina, I'm working in a hospital laboratory. I would have liked to be Butters, but my grades were not good enough to study medicine. In hindsight I believe I made the right choice. I definitely like my job. And though it may be incomprehensible to many people I know, I also like working at night. But the older you become, the more it takes it's toll.

What will you do in Mendoza? Will you be there on vacation or work related?

It's funny, I thought to myself, hey, I just read something about Mendoza, where did I read that and what was it?
Then I continued reading Dead Beat and there he was: Bony Tony Mendoza  ;D
Another guy named after a city.  ;D
It is famous for it's wine, isn't it?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 03, 2019, 01:50:03 PM »
Oh, so you had told us before, I remember that. Sorry for my bad memory.

I am a night owl, so I love to work at night (what I only can do whenever I teach at night, 17-21 or 18-22) but the problem is that I arrive home too late, and it's dangerous, so I am normally trying to avoid it. That said, the previous semester I taught 17-20.

Mendoza is very famous for its wine. It is also a pretty place, with lovely views of the mountains, the province has some important ski places and in the last years it has developed many gourmet places. Also it is one of the few cities in my country that is really clean. I will be there Mon-wed, for a workshop in genetics. I have not been in Mendoza in 18 years, so I am looking forward it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 03, 2019, 02:52:43 PM »
Sounds nice and interesting, Dina. May I ask what you teach? Has it to do with genetics (because of the workshop)?

When I come home from my nightshift the sun is already up again or starting to rise while I'm driving home.
At Sundays it is nice to drive, because the streets are almost empty in the morning. And there are little sweet breads with raisins in the canteen, that they sell only on Sundays. When finishing the shift, there are still enough left.  8) I take my little joys where I can get them.  ;D

Today I let the children play Mariocart Wii. But they already start to get aggressive and frustrated. Maybe because I won 3 times in a row.  8) ;D
Now I let them play against each other and have fun watching. Glad that there are 4 princesses to choose from.
They were allowed to play because their date with another couple of siblings could not take place. To distract them from their disappointment. LOL

... and because I wanted to play...

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 03, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »
@Dina: Glad you had fun XD ! But sorry you lost the Bar Brawl -_- . You'll get em next time n_n !

In my DnD campaine, my group just found they're next bad guy lair and had a fight with the mini Boss XD . Killed him in about three turns XD . He had 42 HP. Our Warlock hit him with Poisen Spray and got him down to 38 HP. Then our Freaking Gnome Claric of Hel runs up to him and smacks him, Rolls a Natural 20, dose two points of regular damage and 30 points of Nercrotic Damage XD ! Then our Dark Elf Paliden charges in, Swings her sword and hits him with Thudoures Blast, Also Rolls a Natural 20 XD ! Decapitates him and sends the creatures head and body tumbaling into the gourge behind it XD .

@Fcrate: BBQ'd Duck dose sound kind of good n_,n ...

@Regen: Hmmm...sure your Sore Throat isn't due to your work in the lab?
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 04, 2019, 06:38:27 AM »
@Otlan, oh, don't worry. I am sure we were supposed to lose that fight and it was a lot of fun anyway.

@Regen: I am a biologist. My main job is research at the university but I am also a Teacher Assistant in the biology career. I've been in different classes, generally in population genetics, but this year I've been in "Evolution" for the first time. I really like to teach.

I never worked all night but I understand it can be exhausting, even if you like it. And the bread with raisins sounds yummy.

LOL about Mariocart, I hope you three enjoyed it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 04, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
Hey Warden n_n .
Hey Otlan. Hope you are doing good!
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 04, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
@Otlan:
No, the lab has nothing to do with it. We have very strikt hygiene rules and there are worse things to get infected with than some virus or bacteria causing sore throats.
No, it's the people you have contact with. Everybody's coughing.   :)
But I'm better now. Slept a lot, ate my chicken soup and my apples and drank my tee with honey.

@Dina
Your job sounds cool. I am very interested in genetics. Or biology in general. One of the reasons for my choice of work.
Mariocart was fun. A classic.  :D

Today I'm baking a plum cake for the annual family meeting. We will eat a lot of cake, go walking and/or bowling so that we can eat dinner. It will be a lot of eating. And I'm looking forward to seeing all the old aunts, uncles and cousins with their children.
Hopefully I will be able to move after all that food. I definitely will be wearing some stretchy trousers without buttons. Better to sit when having a full belly.  ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 04, 2019, 04:59:32 PM »
@Regenbogen. Genetics are indeed very interesting  :).
I hope you get better soon. Ginger in your tea can help too. (Mmm, I believe I will make a tea for myself now, it sounds good. Also, today is coldish and rainy, so feels like tea)

Oooh, overeating in family, I like that! (That is probably why I am currently in the process of trying to lose weight, I need it badly)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 04, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
LOL it actually was ginger tee with honey. And sometimes hot lemon.

I'm home now. It was too much cake. One of my cousins was worried that we needed one more cake and didn't believe me, when I told her, that there was always enough cake. There has NEVER been not enough cake! Never. So my mother spontaneously baked one more. And it was about two cakes too much. So we will have to eat cake all weekend. Like always. LOL
Sunday I'm going to do some sports. And next week there won't be any sweet or fat things in my menu.
In fact, at the moment I can't imagine, that I will ever be able to eat again... :-X
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:13:15 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: October 04, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »
So we will have to eat cake all weekend. Like always. LOL

Oh, the sacrifices one has to make... :P
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: October 04, 2019, 11:40:11 PM »
Oh, the sacrifices one has to make... :P
I'm ready and willing to sacrifice. Haven't had a decent cake since my sister moved to the US, and plum cake sounds sooooooooooo good right now.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: October 05, 2019, 01:28:53 PM »
I'm ready and willing to sacrifice. Haven't had a decent cake since my sister moved to the US, and plum cake sounds sooooooooooo good right now.
With butter-crumble on top!

@all:
I am serving some virtual cake here. With coffee or tea as you like.

Enjoy:
plums and crumble, apple cake, chocolate muffins, cake with cream and egg liqueur, baked apple muffins with cinnamon and other wintery spices I don't know the English names (is it cloves? Sorry, but tastes like Christmas).
One cake I didn't take with me, because it didn't fit in. Mandarine cream, yummy!

Now I'm hungry. I didn't eat since yesterday. We've been singing for a wedding at noon and now I'm going to eat some plum cake (my favourite, that's why I always volunteer baking it  ;). You HAVE to sacrifice yourself for the leftovers, damn)

And my throat is ok again. I only had to sing half of the songs, because I mostly played the big flute.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:32:13 PM by Regenbogen »