Author Topic: Another Weird for the Weird folk  (Read 366675 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Another Weird for the Weird folk
« Reply #765 on: July 10, 2019, 12:43:22 AM »
Have very good dreams!!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 10, 2019, 03:51:11 AM »
As I said, for the past few years it's "Come, minions". Usually though it's the universal call for cats: psss psss pssss psssst xD
My brother got bit by a scorpion when he was five, I think he agrees. But scorpions don't bite for spite, do they?Unless they're hungry :P

Ahhh, so you speak Catonease as well n_n ! *Bows to you*
I don't know that much about Scorpions, but from what I've seen, they don't usually sting unless they're out hunting or if they're threatend/Provoked.

But I was refering to the story of the Scorpion and the Frog. A Scorpion came to a flooded River and needed to cross. He saw a Frog siting on the Bank and asked if he could give him a ride across. At first, the Frog refused, saying that the Scorpion would sting him once they were about halfway across. The Scoripion said that was foolish though, as if he did, they would both drown. Finally the Frog relented and let the Scorpion ride on his back. As soon as they were halfway across though, the Scorpion stung the Frog. As they began to sink, the Frog asked him why. The Scoripion replied, "It's in my nature."

And what your Uncule did was a very foolish thing -_- . That's actually an old wives tail that dosen't work. It only serves to poisen two people. And unless it was a very small or Baby Scorpion, your brother wasn't in any real danger. When it comes to Scorpions, bigger is better.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 10, 2019, 03:56:27 AM »
Oooooh you don't look "Online Otlan". You have a green thingy, like in the old forum  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 10, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »
We still have the scorpion's body somewhere,  it was a small one indeed.
And yes,  it works,  but not very well,  it's just something to do on the way to the hospital. And the risk of the second person getting poisoned like this from a scorpion bite is minimal.  You're referring to snake bites,  I believe, as Scorpion venom is much less dangerous.
I know the tale you're talking about,  it's one of Aesop's tales,  right? I just didn't connect it.  Lol
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline MacPhoenix

• Posty McPostington
  • I shall rise from the ashes of your verbal burns.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 10, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »
Hi new weird!
Anime & Cartoons; Adults make them, Adults can enjoy them. - me
The first draft is you telling yourself the story.--Terry Pratchett

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 11, 2019, 07:33:47 PM »
How are you, MacP? This Weird is not new at all. It's only that the 7-days policy is not a thing here in this forum.
Missing you, Md 

Offline MacPhoenix

• Posty McPostington
  • I shall rise from the ashes of your verbal burns.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 11, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »
Hi Dina I am fine. I see well it is new to me. Lol 🤣
Anime & Cartoons; Adults make them, Adults can enjoy them. - me
The first draft is you telling yourself the story.--Terry Pratchett

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 11, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
Good enough  :)

I was taking a break and having a yogurt, it was yummy
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »
*Licks the walls*
Seems like a new Weird to me.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:00 PM »
((((((((((DC))))))))))) Hello! Yes, new enough
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 12, 2019, 02:10:54 AM »
We still have the scorpion's body somewhere,  it was a small one indeed.
And yes,  it works,  but not very well,  it's just something to do on the way to the hospital. And the risk of the second person getting poisoned like this from a scorpion bite is minimal.  You're referring to snake bites,  I believe, as Scorpion venom is much less dangerous.
I know the tale you're talking about,  it's one of Aesop's tales,  right? I just didn't connect it.  Lol

I'm not sure if it's an Asope Fable or not XD .

Maby it was Snake Bites. All I know is, bad idea. I'd rather just let the Venom runs it's course.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 12, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »
Fcrate is right about the scorpion venom being...not so bad. An adult shouldn't have too much trouble with it unless it's specially allergic or sensitive to it. But a child is an entire different story. I am also thinking that perhaps the venom sucking has the intention of making the child feel better, seeing that someone is doing something concrete to help them. If in the end it did not help, well, at least the boy felt a little better for a while.

And I immediately understood Otlan reference (of the scorpion and turtle) because when I posted about the cat's nature I was thinking in the same story. The thing is...I don't really like that story. Or to say it better, it is true that animals have some natures that are very difficult to change but I know that story is generally used to talk about human beings. I feel people can change if they really try hard to do it, so the "oh, I can't change, it is in my nature" subtext is just lazyness (or cowardice). I am not saying it from holier than thou point of view, all the contrary. I am also lazy and coward when trying to change and be better, but at least I try to not deceive myself.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 13, 2019, 01:25:07 AM »
Yes, the story refers to humans, and it doesn't work. People generally change all the time, even if it was in bits and pieces. Some character traits get enhanced, others get reduced, but a 180 change isn't possible except in very rare cases.
I think the story also talks about second chances, and we should grant them or not. I agree and disagree, as if someone consistently proved to be incapable of change shouldn't be allowed a second chance, and some transgressions are too great to be forgiven.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 13, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »
I know the best way to keep and kind of poisen or Venom from spreading to fast is to keep calmn, so maby your right Dina.

As for the Story of the Scorpion and The Frog, I things it's more about how people are selfish, and will only do what's in they're best intrest to do. But your right, as people are capable of changeing, be it good or bad. But we also have to take in the age of the story and when it was written. The world was a much diffrent place back then. I think in the end, it's message is rather simple, "Don't let your guard down."

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 13, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
I agree with the latter, and it is true that the world was different then but I think humans were always the same.
Missing you, Md