Author Topic: Another Weird for the Weird folk  (Read 370532 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Another Weird for the Weird folk
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »
Hello everyone, good maen!
I actually liked the show, because I watched it before reading the books. I still think that Harry was the best thing of the show, but Bob and Morgan well inspired choices too. And Jim was a coroner  :)

We had a power outage in the building all last night. It was awful due to high temperatures.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2019, 10:01:06 PM »
Maen Dina! Had a power outage last night as well (only 4 hours) but luckily it's still cold here, and a bonfire fixed the problem :D
Summer is coming though, and with it, much longer power outages. Days darker than night are coming -.-
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2019, 12:17:02 AM »
Hello everyone, good maen!
I actually liked the show, because I watched it before reading the books. I still think that Harry was the best thing of the show, but Bob and Morgan well inspired choices too. And Jim was a coroner  :)

We had a power outage in the building all last night. It was awful due to high temperatures.

Bob has no solid form though! And i will admit, the guy that played Morgan was a good choice to.
Was Jim in the first season? I don't remeber seeing him.

Sorry about the power outage Di-Di -_- . Glad you guys survived it though.

@Fcarte: Why so meany power outages?

Today was the 3rd day of Game League and this is how it went. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLIg6WT7zM
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2019, 01:57:49 AM »
Otlan: In winter because of the old and faulty power grid, but during the summer people use their air conditioning too much and there isn't enough electricity to go around, so they cut the power off in some areas for an hour or two every few days and "theoretically at least" make a fair schedule. In practical terms it means that they cut off electricity from those in the country side, so that the big cities can enjoy uninterrupted electricity.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2019, 04:26:49 AM »
Otlan: In winter because of the old and faulty power grid, but during the summer people use their air conditioning too much and there isn't enough electricity to go around, so they cut the power off in some areas for an hour or two every few days and "theoretically at least" make a fair schedule. In practical terms it means that they cut off electricity from those in the country side, so that the big cities can enjoy uninterrupted electricity.

About ten years ago we had does "scheduled power cuts". It was all around the city, with a rotation schedule. It worked, more or less. Now things are better, so no need for scheduling cuts, but sometimes the excess of air conditioning and other things produces problems and power outages spread. But this time it was not the case, something was wrong specifically in my building. I don't know the details, but it was that.

Ot, as far as I can tell the TV show only had one season, so yes. Search for him.

Now it's raining but temperature has dropped. It's possible that this was the last heat wave this Summer.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2019, 08:30:57 PM »
Bob has no solid form though! And i will admit, the guy that played Morgan was a good choice to.
Was Jim in the first season? I don't remeber seeing him.

Sorry about the power outage Di-Di -_- . Glad you guys survived it though.

@Fcarte: Why so meany power outages?

Today was the 3rd day of Game League and this is how it went. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLIg6WT7zM
If I recall, Butcher was a coroner's assistant in one of the episodes.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2019, 09:13:36 PM »
Yes, that is what I was telling Otlan.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2019, 06:28:19 PM »

Then why not just re0lace the old worn out power grid? Let me guess, it'd cost too much.

@Dina: Thank god it only had one season. Now I'll check Youtube to see if I can spot Mr. Butcher.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
People tend to get upset when you start digging up random sidewalks and back yards, even after you explain to them that it's really important and that once the work is done the power grid will be safer and more consistent. To say nothing of the cost, the logistics of it would is obnoxious to even think about.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »
People tend to get upset when you start digging up random sidewalks and back yards, even after you explain to them that it's really important and that once the work is done the power grid will be safer and more consistent. To say nothing of the cost, the logistics of it would is obnoxious to even think about.

Then nothing in this world will change. People want change but then they belly ache because it cost them something. You don't get anything for free and that includes change. Change is Chaos, and Chaos is messy but then things get better.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2019, 05:03:54 PM »
This is Egypt we're talking about.
What people want or care about doesn't factor into the government's calculations, especially in the countryside. But yes, it would cost too much and would be a logistical nightmare. Acquiring permits from the military base of the reigon to dig and conduct repairs alone would take a year. If not more.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »
Here we are slightly better. The companies are doing some investment in improving the things. Yes, they are diggings and inconveniences for walking people, but it is accepted as a necessity to have a better service. The problem is that the investment is not enough, the service has not improved that much in the last years, and the bills are much, much higher. That is one of the reasons of the dissatisfaction a large part of the country has with the current government.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »
If only my country could pull it's collective heads out of it's collective asses and help you guys in some way, shape or form -_- .

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 27, 2019, 11:42:27 PM »
Here we are slightly better. The companies are doing some investment in improving the things. Yes, they are diggings and inconveniences for walking people, but it is accepted as a necessity to have a better service. The problem is that the investment is not enough, the service has not improved that much in the last years, and the bills are much, much higher. That is one of the reasons of the dissatisfaction a large part of the country has with the current government.

There's progress there at least Dina. Our prices are going up, and services are going down (at least in countryside, where nobody gives a crap)
If only my country could pull it's collective heads out of it's collective asses and help you guys in some way, shape or form -_- .
No, thank you. Help comes with strings attached and only reaches the pockets of the idiots in charge. It happened before, still happening and will always happen like this.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2019, 07:48:01 AM »
I know, Fcrate.

I am going to pass, thanks anyway. Seriously, we have a saying: "throwing someone an iron buoy" for people that pretending (or somebody actually trying) to help only make things worse.
Missing you, Md