Author Topic: Skingame - why was Nicodemus hurtable?  (Read 6459 times)

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Skingame - why was Nicodemus hurtable?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
The purpose of Judas' Noose was to keep Judas alive, not to ease his suffering.  I still think the noose responds proportionately with the severity of the wound.  It wouldn't heal a stubbed toe.

I wonder if the noose even heals.  Or does it just keep the wearer from dying and Anduriel does the healing.  Thus, when the Sword kept Anduriel at bay, he could heal Nic.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 11:24:52 PM »
The evidence that Nic is immune to injury is pretty slim - basically that one scene with the bullets.   And if we had never heard of the Noose, the explanation for that scene would be some combination of "Fallen making him tough to hurt" and "Fallen Pain blocking" and "Showmanship because it causes FEAR and that is good for any Fallen"

Do not get me wrong.  I am sure that the Noose protects him from dying and I am also sure that the Noose will heal all injuries received while the Noose is worn (except for injuries caused by the Noose).   But healing is not instant.    So in a battle measured in seconds, the healing is not enough to create a big factor.   But you notice that given a little time (aka - after they both race to the Michal's house", Nic is a lot better. 

Offline Faithmage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 03:50:14 AM »
He stole the shroud which is supposed to have healing properties, he brought Harry in to go after the grail, what if he is sick like with cancer and it’s something the noose doesn’t protect him from?

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 06:01:27 AM »
it states in the book why Dresden can hurt nicodemus Dresden figured out that the noose protected nicodemus from death but he could be hurt with the noose on  … fatal stab in the chest not fatal but hurts. Dresden also realized also that the one object protecting nicodamids can be used to kill him. So Dresden after hurting him enough to slow him down grabs the noose and uses it to try and kill him by choking the life out of him.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 02:27:49 AM »
the reason nicodemus' noose can be used to kill him is because at the least, the one weapon it can't protect its wearer from death is itself. the swords are probably the other.

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 08:29:56 PM »
Also remember this isn't nic showing off that he cant be hurt like in other books. He knows that harry can kill him and a panicked person isn't very good at showing confidence and strength.  With the death of his daughter, the knowledge of how many bridges he burned in the magic community, the fact that marcone and mab got the better of him and that harry might kill him has him showing the wear and tear that he can usually hide
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 09:25:05 PM »
Also remember this isn't nic showing off that he cant be hurt like in other books.
That sentence gives me a theory that would explain the difference. Lash taught Harry amazing techniques for ignoring pain. Nicodemus has had 2,000 years to master those techniques and his flinch response. Maybe he was just as vulnerable in book 5 as he was in book 15 by non-noose related injuries, but in book 5 he was just acting tough to scare his audience. By book 15, Harry knows his trick, whether he realizes it himself or not, and Nicodemus doesn't bother faking because he believes Dresden knows he's faking.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
There is ample opportunity to see how the coins work.  They make the holder virtually immortal and resistant to damage, fast healing, but not invulnerable.  But for all the other Denarians that means an alternate form.  And Nic never shows one.  He does nothing that a normal couldn't do.  Except not die.