Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 173549 times)

Online Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #525 on: December 04, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »
I agree with most of it, but I disagree about first books. I think The Sorcerer's Stone is almost perfect and I think the writing is better than SF. That said, I completely agree about Butcher learning faster and I think he is now a much, much better autor than JKR.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline noblehunter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 04, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
To be fair, DF and HP are trying to do different kinds of story telling. The whimsy and inconsistency is more of a feature than a bug for those sorts of stories.

Though Butcher has done a better job at keeping the story corralled rather than sprawling all over the place like a lot of other long running series, including HP.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 04, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »
Rowling ended it in seven books, and she captured a generation or two, internationally.  By any definition that includes the readers, she wrote better books.  Butcher might have served himself better by not trying to make a life's work of it.  You get tired of anybody or thing that consumes as much of your life as the Dresden Files.  Rowling hit it and moved on.  Now she can work for pride and fun.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 05, 2019, 12:45:45 AM »
More popular does not necessarily mean better.

Online Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 05, 2019, 01:18:47 AM »
Agree ^
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 05, 2019, 02:14:21 AM »
Magic in the DV has been consistent from book one. The rules were obviously thought out beforehand, and I can't pinpoint anywhere they're broken.
There is a lot of early installment weirdness. I'd say the "rules" for the series isn't really on solid ground until book 4 or 5.
(click to show/hide)
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/EarlyInstallmentWeirdness/Literature

Offline Just Al

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 05, 2019, 09:33:29 PM »
Apropo of nothing, Locus magazine has again listed a publication date for Peace Talks. They list an April 2020 release, but only in the UK, which strikes me as odd. I've noticed that, in general, British authors have an earlier release date for their works in the UK. North American authors have an earlier release date in NA, and most release on either side of the Atlantic on the same date.

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 06, 2019, 12:36:07 AM »
Having worked from home the lack of space makes sense to me when combined with the house building as covering a fair amount of lost time.   When I first started working from home I would set up anywhere and it took me a while to realize I was getting almost nothing done. Then I cleaned out a space for a small office and things got a lot better.  If Jim did the same thing we wasted a chunk of time not really thinking about the fact he was getting almost nothing done on the dinning room table.  Then he may have been thinking the new house will be ready soon not worth worry about I will carry on this way.  Then the house kept having delays.   

This does not explain all of the delay but I think the lack of writing space was certainly real and cost him a good chunk of time.
Four additional years, though? Lack of a writing space was way too high on the excuse list. Hell, just say, "I haven't been in the right frame of mind for a bunch of reasons and had to take a break." I'd be fine with that. But not being able to find a place to write for 4 years? 4 freaking years?!?! I mean, come on. That's just blowing smoke and feels completely disingenuous. If he really wanted to be writing, he'd have found a space in which he could write. Get a larger apartment for God's sake. Rent a house. Four years is a long damn time to be in limbo. I can't imagine putting up with that. Maybe a year, max. I'd much rather have just heard, "Sorry folks, I had to take a break. I'll get back to writing as soon as I can!"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:39:46 AM by spiritofair »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 06, 2019, 12:51:46 AM »
Four additional years, though? Lack of a writing space was way too high on the excuse list ...

<baffled shrug>

What... now you're asking for a ranked list?  "This contributed 45% to the slowdown, that was responsible for 20%," etc...?

It was part and parcel of a big stack of things.  Which one(s) impacted him worse may well have varied on a daily / weekly / etc basis, and have evolved and changed as his circumstances changed.  Maybe it's just the one that was most on his mind in the moment that he listed the reasons.

Collectively, they probably didn't only interfere with writing... they probably interfered with figuring out how to fix the slowdowns.

And in the end... do we really care that much, now that his productivity seems to be restored?  Do we "need to know" and moreover... are we in ANY way entitled to know?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 06, 2019, 12:56:08 AM »
Apropo of nothing, Locus magazine has again listed a publication date for Peace Talks. They list an April 2020 release...

IIRC, this matches the (probable mis-)information given upthread, which I presume originated with Amazon.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 06, 2019, 02:55:08 PM »
Rowling ended it in seven books, and she captured a generation or two, internationally.  By any definition that includes the readers, she wrote better books.  Butcher might have served himself better by not trying to make a life's work of it.  You get tired of anybody or thing that consumes as much of your life as the Dresden Files.  Rowling hit it and moved on.  Now she can work for pride and fun.

Rowling's  was excellent in the first four to five books, but when she began to write about our favorite young wizards as teens things began to fall apart.   She also kept to her original outline, which she has admitted was a bit of a mistake as far a who ended up with whom.  However she did know when to quit.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »
I agree with most of it, but I disagree about first books. I think The Sorcerer's Stone is almost perfect and I think the writing is better than SF. That said, I completely agree about Butcher learning faster and I think he is now a much, much better autor than JKR.

My issues with the first books of both are that they mainly fall into the same trap. Most chapters are pretty much "I went to a place, and this thing happened. I left that place." Tons of first books fall into the same pattern. Iron Druid was a particular offender throughout the entire series, and Alex Verus would have fit it if Jacka's chapters were shorter. It's the kind of thing that comes from writing based on a rigid outline, mostly (though not really in Jim's case; it's formulaic, but I believe he wrote Storm Front pretty much as he went). Outlines are great, but I prefer it when books don't read like an outline.

Sorcerer's Stone was mostly about the wonder of uncovering a secret world, and it's got a fair bit of wish fulfillment baked into it (poor, abused Harry is saved from a devastatingly poor home life and is revealed to be not just special, but wealthy and famous, and he's a star athlete based on some kind of natural talent). It's fine for what it is, and I like it well enough, but I'm not the target audience for it.

And yeah, Bad Alias, some of the details of the supernatural creatures were retconned a bit, but the point is that magic itself functions in the exact same way from Storm Front through Skin Game. And Harry didn't even know that there were multiple Queens until Summer Knight.

The thing about Vampires is that White Court vamps don't follow the same rules. I assume that's what you're talking about. Because Red Court + Black Court can't do thresholds, and have never been depicted crossing one. So it's not "some breeds," it's "one breed," and that's because they're born human (and still apparently have trouble calling on their Hunger after crossing one). I think Harry even stipulates

In Storm Front, the only thing I recall about the Nevernever as it relates to vampires is that they wouldn't be able to rip someone's heart of their chest with a simple spell on the mortal realm, and would have to do it in the Nevernever. That rule gets twisted in Changes, but that took countless human sacrifices and a leyline, which is the kind of thing you'd notice in Chicago (and way too much effort to kill a mob enforcer). The only other thing I can remember is their "corporeal form" bit, which I took as a reference to the Red Court fleshmasks, which we see in Storm Front.

The Chauncy bit is kinda whatever.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 06, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »
Rowling vs Butcher?

Well -- at least for Philosopher's Stone vs Storm Front -- Rowling's effort was overwhelmingly superior.

Rowling was trying to write a whimsical kids' adventure-story in the "British Boarding School" model.  It was a runaway international bestseller, and went onto innumerable "best of..." and "must read..." lists.  You don't have to like the books, personally, but you need to face the fact that most people -- from literary critics to librarians to the buying public -- love the books.  You must face up to the fact that any "dislike" is a matter of personal taste.

Jim Butcher?  He was trying to prove that his own writing style was incompatible with what his writing-teacher thought he should write.  He wanted to demonstrate it would be unsalably bad.  Jim Butcher utterly failed his goal with this book (the poor guy; gotta pity him, really...).

:o

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2019, 08:45:07 PM »
Rowling vs Butcher?

Well -- at least for Philosopher's Stone vs Storm Front -- Rowling's effort was overwhelmingly superior.

Rowling was trying to write a whimsical kids' adventure-story in the "British Boarding School" model.  It was a runaway international bestseller, and went onto innumerable "best of..." and "must read..." lists.  You don't have to like the books, personally, but you need to face the fact that most people -- from literary critics to librarians to the buying public -- love the books.  You must face up to the fact that any "dislike" is a matter of personal taste.

Jim Butcher?  He was trying to prove that his own writing style was incompatible with what his writing-teacher thought he should write.  He wanted to demonstrate it would be unsalably bad.  Jim Butcher utterly failed his goal with this book (the poor guy; gotta pity him, really...).

:o

Oh I am not saying Rowling isn't good,  I am repeating what she, herself said about her final pairings.  They are what she had planned from day one, and as we all know sometimes characters take on a life of their own, and she wishes she had paid more attention to that instead of sticking to her original ideas on that score.   I think it is difficult in any case to write a series of any kind and have it be good through the whole series.   Lord of the Rings may be the exception, but it was also the result of a lifetime's work of setting up the world that it is set in..  Even at that there are bits revised with each printing to improve it.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 06, 2019, 10:48:23 PM »
  Rowling's  was excellent in the first four to five books, but when she began to write about our favorite young wizards as teens things began to fall apart.   She also kept to her original outline, which she has admitted was a bit of a mistake as far a who ended up with whom.  However she did know when to quit.
I wasn't making a judgement on what I thought of my experience reading both series. For people who choose to write for a living then sales are the only metric that counts.  Jim uses the money to afford the lifestyle that he wants to live.  So does Rowling. If they didn't get paid they wouldn't be writing.

The biggest problem with both writers was and is that the books got bloated as they went along.