Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 175311 times)

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #450 on: October 26, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »
I'm expecting an early 2020 release date (Jan/Feb/March/April) but an end of the year release would be such a good birthday present for me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:04:23 PM by Wolfeyes »

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 28, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »
According to Priscellie and the official JB website, he has done some revisions and rewriting. But the releasing date is supposed to be announced soon, so cross your fingers.
Just checked. The upcoming works page does indeed state that revisions are done. So we're close to a release date. I'm anticipating a Halloween announcement, because that would be fun and appropriate.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 29, 2019, 05:59:17 AM »
You are right in that.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline noblehunter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 30, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
Anyone check the usual length of time between "The End" and announcement of a release date?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 01, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »
You are right in that.

No, but based on time between the announcement of previous Dresden Files novels being finished and their release dates, there is still a chance; however slight and fading fast, Peace Talks might be released before year end.  The one element that is working against this possibility is that according to Jim, Peace Talks has the highest word count of any Dresden Files book so far.  There is just more work for the publisher to do.  I suppose another major factor is that Penguin most likely had a number of other novels finished earlier that are scheduled to be released for the Christmas season.  The publisher had already planned and was expending efforts and resources into getting those books finished and out the door.  It's not like they can just snap their fingers make new resources and people available.

My guess is Peace Talks will be released next Spring.  Hopefully, a very early Spring release date. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »
They probably don't want to rush it. In the long run it is more important that it is as good as possible. A few months do not make that much a difference on a few years.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 01, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
I was expecting to have news on Halloween  :'( :'(
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 01, 2019, 08:15:49 PM »
Me too.

On Penguin... it really depends on their 2019 balance sheet. They'll find a way to push it out if they need to show better earnings than their current projections.

Pretty sure it's also a bit reliant on James Marsters's schedule. I'm reasonably certain they'll want to do as close to a simultaneous release as possible for the audiobook and the novel. The audiobooks have almost certainly been a really, really big profit driver for them, so I'd imagine they want to take advantage as much as possible.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 01, 2019, 09:37:52 PM »
I'm a little concerned that the cover art isn't up.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 03, 2019, 08:33:24 PM »
I'm a little concerned that the cover art isn't up.
I don't think it need worry you.... AFAIK the rest of the publication process is unimpeded by that.  Maybe something in the artist-submitted pic was deemed too spoilerific, or egregiously mis-representative, or otherwise needed extensive reworking.  Getting the cover done/ready USUALLY happens early-on, but doesn't HAVE to happen early-on...

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 03, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »
If you go visit Chris McGrath's website, you can see alternate versions of covers for a couple of Dresden Files novels.  So there have been times when the publisher must have come back to him and said, "No, we need you to (emphasize this or eliminate that) in the cover."

Groucho Marx

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 03, 2019, 09:51:57 PM »
I might buy a Skin Game print. But I might wait until Peace Talks is out, it may be better.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 03, 2019, 10:36:56 PM »
I thought the cover for Skin Game was really good.  I was thinking about buying a print myself.

I tried to imagine what the cover for Peace Talks might look like.  In the vast majority of Chris McGarth's covers you don't see any of Harry's adversaries.  The cover of Turn Coat had a couple of hooded figures in the background who appeared to be following Harry.  Changes had a bunch of skulls and the pyramid of Chicken Pizza in background.  That's about it.  However, I could see this novel being an exception to this rule.  IMO The title Peace Talks implies that other characters should be in the frame besides Harry.

I can't draw much more than stick figures myself, but I would love to see what kind of cover ideas more visually talented readers might come up with for Peace Talks.  I wonder what section of the forum I could start a thread for that idea as a challenge.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:44:19 PM by KurtinStGeorge »

Groucho Marx

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 04, 2019, 01:42:16 AM »
The wife is onboard, so it will happen.  In honor of the books we named our two new kittens Harry and Thomas.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 04, 2019, 04:00:15 AM »

My long legged American Labrador is named Harry...