Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 174888 times)

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #345 on: May 30, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
Wow, and still more to go... wondering how long Peace Talks is now...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 30, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
Looks like he's up to chapter 62!   I wonder how many chapters there will be in this book...

It isn't the number of chapters it is how long the chapters are...   A chapter can be anywhere from 5 to 35 pages long and sometimes even longer...

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2019, 08:27:01 PM »
Throughout the series, Jim has had chapters of pretty consistent length (at least based on how long it takes me to read a chapter). Some chapters are "long" and others are "short," but I find them to be pretty consistent.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
Looks like he's up to chapter 62!   I wonder how many chapters there will be in this book...

He's only about 2/3 done.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2019, 11:36:35 PM »
That's evil! LOL Has anyone ever made a chart of Butcher's average pages per chapter length and seen whether it has gone up or down?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2019, 05:46:14 AM »
I am not that crazy yet  ;)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2019, 07:17:19 AM »
That's evil! LOL Has anyone ever made a chart of Butcher's average pages per chapter length and seen whether it has gone up or down?

If I did that someone would suggest that it wasn't good enough.  To be truly accurate we would need to compare the average number of words per chapter Jim has used over the past five or six books.  Plus, it wouldn't hurt to know the highest number of words in a chapter Jim has used per book and see if that number has changed significantly over time.  We could also do a character count per chapter, and divide that by the number of words per chapter to see if Jim's vocabulary for Harry and the other characters, plus the description of people, things, the environment, events and emotions have become more complex, meaning Jim is using bigger words, not just more of them.  Of course, some people might think that last suggestion is a bit too much, but aren't you a little bit curious to find out?     

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2019, 03:48:33 PM »
If I did that someone would suggest that it wasn't good enough.  To be truly accurate we would need to compare the average number of words per chapter Jim has used over the past five or six books.  Plus, it wouldn't hurt to know the highest number of words in a chapter Jim has used per book and see if that number has changed significantly over time.  We could also do a character count per chapter, and divide that by the number of words per chapter to see if Jim's vocabulary for Harry and the other characters, plus the description of people, things, the environment, events and emotions have become more complex, meaning Jim is using bigger words, not just more of them.  Of course, some people might think that last suggestion is a bit too much, but aren't you a little bit curious to find out?   

Yeah, I think using the size of the words is going just a weeee bit to far.... ::)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »

;D
If I were an author and reading that comment, I would rewrite an least my first chapter using extra long words. And then I would post it on my website as preview oft my newest work.
All the while evil laughing.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 01, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »
Yeah, I think using the size of the words is going just a weeee bit to far.... ::)
Wee bit too far?! No such thing! Are you just a fan or are you the full word which is fanatic? LOL
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 05, 2019, 06:20:41 PM »
As of June 5th, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 63.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 05, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »
I was expecting this book to be 53-56 chapters long.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 05, 2019, 09:35:24 PM »
 :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 05, 2019, 10:08:32 PM »
@Dina: On the one hand I agree, on the other I'm wondering why does it need so many more chapters. This is a big jump in the number of Chapters.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 06, 2019, 02:30:31 AM »
When you are in chapter 52, you will probably be happy.
Missing you, Md