Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 173595 times)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »
I think that what happened is the White Council suffered some big losses during the war with the reds.  They have been weakened, thus making their fight with the Fomor a more difficult one.  A good example is the Captain of the Wardens had her power placed in a weaker individual, and she can no longer forge the powerful swords the wardens carry.  Morgan, one of their greatest Wardens was killed.  Archangel, and the Brute Squad were all slaughtered. 

So they lost some heavy hitters, and that's not including all the people they lost to the Reds.  A White Council at full strength would be less vulnerable to the Fomor, and their tactics I think.
Absolutely.
And I imagine the pre-war Warden crop, used to the ongoing policing work of finding Warlocks and smashing individual monsters, would have a better mindset for it too than the post-war 'ready for a real battle' group.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2019, 11:39:27 AM »
Wasn't there an ongoing power struggle between White Council factions when we last saw them in Changes?

Offline Independent George

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »
So... Jim starts cranking out chapters right while Sanderson is outlining Stormlight 4? And Peace Talks ends up being unusually long?

I think Jim borrowed some unused writing clones. If we see a fourteen page explanation of how magic works in the nevernever, we'll know for sure...

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2019, 01:16:10 AM »
Wasn't there an ongoing power struggle between White Council factions when we last saw them in Changes?

Yes, and we have no idea how it played out.  So I'm expecting we'll get some kind of explanation of what happened.  The only guess I can make in Senior Council member Cristos gained more power. 

Now that I think about it, I think the White Council is in something of a fragil state.  It's not really united, and I think that because of the prediction we got from Rashid in Turn Coat when he said to Harry, "It's not your hour" to challenge the Council to combat.  That suggests the White Council is or will become a total mess at some point.

Progress: Jim's up to chapter 58 now.  Whoever predicted PT will be 62 chapters long is still on track.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:43:16 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 16, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »
Thanks for the update.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 16, 2019, 09:09:04 PM »
If we see a fourteen page explanation of how magic works in the nevernever, we'll know for sure...

That would be so awesome to read! Seriously, the one thing that could possibly make these books better would be more magic explanations.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 17, 2019, 05:10:44 AM »
And potions! I loved Harry making potions.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 17, 2019, 08:31:16 AM »
I do miss the potions part of the early books. Just for Bob's commentary.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 17, 2019, 11:33:09 AM »

I just miss Bob as Harry's partner,  not saying that Bonny won't be good, but will never be the same.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 17, 2019, 01:14:10 PM »
I agree.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 17, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
I miss the potions, too, though I understand why Jim has shied away from them a bit. He added a nod to them in Changes, which made sense; he was adding everything (and everyone but Will and the Alphas; though it would've made the jungle run more fun (and maybe a brief altercation between Will and Mouse for Pack Leader status? I dunno), there really wasn't much room for them anyway) back into it anyway. Harry's pretty much at the point where most potions would be redundant for him now—though that can't be totally true, considering the Merlin wears a tac belt chock full of them when he gets ready for a fight.

Bob the Skull always reminded me of an old D&D character my friend used to play, Bob the Wizard (that was his full name; his middle name, he insisted, was "the"). Dude used to just use Tenser's Transformation and beat the snot out of things with a dagger, or Enlarge himself and hit stuff with his bare hands. Played him like a totally lecherous psychopath. And, naturally, he was the one who always survived party wipes.

Offline Independent George

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 17, 2019, 01:15:48 PM »
I just miss Bob as Harry's partner,  not saying that Bonny won't be good, but will never be the same.

Yes, but Bob + Butters & Andi has the potential for something truly, dare I say, magical.

On a more serious note, I'm curious about what happens when a spirit of intellect starts spending a lot of time with the faith side of things. Bob said he's not equipped to deal with it, but with Butters by his side... I suspect Jim is setting us up for something big.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 17, 2019, 05:31:09 PM »
I'm kind of expecting some sort of sibling-rivalry thing between Maggie & Bonnie.

Maggie is a bit too mature, too much a "little adult" in portrayal.  I don't think Jim has had a chance to really get to know little kids in depth.  I think she's too grown-up to START the problem, but not above responding if provoked.

But Bonea?  Yeah, I can see problems from her.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 17, 2019, 05:49:31 PM »
I'm seeing the Fomor take a big hit, this book or maybe next.

Mollie has kind of a hate-on for them.  Ditto Harry (recently & unexpectedly back from the presumed-dead).  One of the most-subtle wizards, and likely the strongest wizard, of the new "not Old Guard" generation of wizards.

Now Winter Lady and Winter Knight.

I do not see the Fomor flourishing in this situation.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 17, 2019, 06:00:40 PM »
Yes, but Bob + Butters & Andi has the potential for something truly, dare I say, magical

<heh>
But nah.

Bob's not a perv.  HARRY's Bob is a perv.

Evil Bob?  Not a perv.  Scary as fuck, but not a perv.

Butters' Bob?  Ummm.  I don't think we know enough to be sure... but I don't think we see any signs of perviness... which just is NOT pervy Bob, especially with Andi around!

On a more serious note, I'm curious about what happens when a spirit of intellect starts spending a lot of time with the faith side of things. Bob said he's not equipped to deal with it, but with Butters by his side... I suspect Jim is setting us up for something big. 

A very interesting thought.  Very interesting indeed!

Bob says he's "not equipped" -- I presume that means no soul, no moral sense, etc.  But Bob is self-admittedly ignorant in this realm, and... well... "with God, all things are possible."

So I think you may be onto something.