Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 173511 times)

Offline tromedlov87

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #225 on: March 15, 2019, 05:38:55 AM »
Yes, and Skin Game and Ghost Story each had 51 chapters, though Ghost Story had over 10,000 more words than Skin Game.  So now that Jim has reached chapter 49 he must be getting near the final boss battle chapter, if he isn't there already.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Peace Talks has as many chapters and words as Cold Days because there are a large number of potential subplots for Harry to deal with, no matter how well Jim can combine them into a single story.

I've commented on this topic before.  One day, several years ago, while waiting for Cold Days to be released I started going back through Jim's twitter feed to see when he had announced, "The end.  I just finished (fill in the blank), now it goes to the publisher for ..."  Then I compared that date with the release date of that particular book.  I went back as far as Jim's Twitter feed went.  What I found was most of his books were released within 9 months after Jim's Twitter announcement.  There were some noticeable exceptions.  I think one book took a year or a little longer to be released.  Another was published just 3 1/2 months later; however, I believe Jim said that novel (I think it was Changes.) had already been very heavily pre-edited before he sent it to the publishers so both the publishers and Jim had much less work to do to get that one ready and out the door.  I think there was one other book that was released about 5 months after Jim's "The end" announcement.  There were also one or two books that were released within 6 to 8 months after Jim announced he had finished.

That's why I think it's likely we will get Peace Talks in time for Christmas.  Here in the U.S., publishers like to get best selling books out by the end of November to maximize sales during the Christmas season.  So unless Peace Talks needs a ton of editing and rewrites, the publisher will do their best to get it out before the end of 2019.   

Yeah, I'm feeling this too. I won't be upset or anything if it doesn't happen, but things to seem to be lining up for the book to release before the end of this year. Unless Peace Talks turns out to be MUCH longer than every other book in the series, which I think is unlikely.

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
CHAPTER FIFTY!!!

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 22, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
A Halloween release may still be possible.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2019, 12:24:32 AM »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 23, 2019, 05:49:05 AM »
After doing a couple of chapters in 4 days each, this last one took Jim 10 days to knock out.  I'm hoping that extra time needed to finish this last chapter indicates it was the final boss battle chapter; meaning the next chapter will be the book's denouement, the final chapter; or alternatively, it was the chapter that leads into the final boss battle, and that would mean there were only two chapters left for Jim to finish.

If there are only two chapters left, that could mean Jim is about 2 weeks; give or take a couple of days, from the finish line.  (He said with fingers crossed for luck.)

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
I mean last weekend was a holiday, that might account for it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »
I am really hoping that 50 was the big battle and all that is left is the wrap-up... with a possible lead-in to the next book.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »
Irrespective, its solid forward progress and the end is nigh ;)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2019, 01:12:31 PM »
Irrespective, its solid forward progress and the end is nigh ;)

Or not.... ::)

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2019, 05:31:30 PM »
I am really hoping that 50 was the big battle and all that is left is the wrap-up... with a possible lead-in to the next book.

I am a little torn.  I really want it to be almost done but at the same time I want it to be nice and long so that it takes me longer to finish reading it.   ;D

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »
I'd wager a guess that if this book were exceptionally longer than the norm, Jim or Priscilla would have clued us in already as his transparency is rather high.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2019, 01:43:24 PM »
I am a little torn.  I really want it to be almost done but at the same time I want it to be nice and long so that it takes me longer to finish reading it.   ;D

I know what you mean. I finished Skin Game the day it came out. I cleared my schedule specifically because I knew I was going to be reading all day. It was a bittersweet experience, because it's such a fun book, but then I gazed into the Jim Butcherless future, and wept.

On the flip side, I'll have at least a twelve-hour audiobook too, which should last about two weeks' worth of drive time.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
I know what you mean. I finished Skin Game the day it came out. I cleared my schedule specifically because I knew I was going to be reading all day. It was a bittersweet experience, because it's such a fun book, but then I gazed into the Jim Butcherless future, and wept.

On the flip side, I'll have at least a twelve-hour audiobook too, which should last about two weeks' worth of drive time.
I was the same way -- except I had to immediately reread it in light of the twist.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 28, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
I did the same, except I finished Skin Game, then went back to the beginning and reread the series and short stories in order, mostly because I didn't want it to be over (and it was time for my annual reread anyway).

This year, I listened to the audiobooks for the first time instead, and recently finished them (I now understand everyone's praise for James Marsters's performance). An old friend convinced me to really read some manga for the first time a couple of months ago, and I decided to start with Berserk, so I didn't really have time (if you don't know, there are about 8,400 published comic pages over the last thirtyish years, so it was a lot to get through) to read the books even though I was due. Evidently, all of the manga I'm even remotely interested in is almost hilariously lengthy (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, which I haven't looked at for twentysomething years, is somewhere around 24,000 pages; that may not sound like much, but holy crap is there a lot of detail in each panel), so I'm hoping I get to a good stopping point during whatever I'm reading to do a legit reread in the leadup to Peace Talks.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2019, 04:20:00 AM »
"Why’s Peace Talks Taking So Long?
Personal problems/life events spanning the past several years gummed up the works for a while.  Fortunately, things are back on an even keel!  For the last several months, he’s been cranking out chapters with blazing speed, under the guidance of his new canine buddy Bru and his wife Kitty’s four majestic cats.
As of March 28nd, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 52. Progress!  We don’t have a release date yet, but we’ll update this page, send out a newsletter, and tweet it to the high heavens the moment we do!"
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)